Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 AM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
So its 55 and you go 62 but don't support 65. lol

Let people live.
Because 65 would become 75. I can't believe I had to explain that to you but whatever.

There are a couple of turns on the ICC where I think going 75 would be too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I refuse to get an EZ-Pass. I'm not paying the administrative costs that come with it. If it were free, maybe. I don't need any government entity automatically charging my credit card, No thanks.
You can get one from another state. Most charge less than MD. I think Massachusetts doesn't charge at all.

But MD will give you a discount on MD tolls, except for the ICC. MD also waives the fee if you use it more than 3 times in a month.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
If you would rather pay in extra time and waste more gas then go for it.

I'll take the ICC over 495 any day, especially during rush time.
It's all about what a person values the most. If selhars values the government staying out of his/her account, then that's more important to them.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,080,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Because 65 would become 75. I can't believe I had to explain that to you but whatever.

There are a couple of turns on the ICC where I think going 75 would be too fast.
I agree with this. I noticed a couple curves that were fairly tight and going over 55 could be dangerous in less than ideal conditions, ie. wet or especially icy.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I agree with this. I noticed a couple curves that were fairly tight and going over 55 could be dangerous in less than ideal conditions, ie. wet or especially icy.
Under certain conditions, 55 would be too fast too, so should we cut the speed limit to 35?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM

708 posts, read 1,294,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I've driven the ICC two or three times since it's opened. Each occasion was close to rush hour. I estimate that, for each occasion, I may have passed only 100 other vehicles. Maybe it's a stretch, but the truth is that no one is using it; at least, not nearly as many as was probably projected.

Fortunately I've traveled the road for my job, and all of our vehicles are equipped with EZ Pass so it's been a free drive. But, if a car were to travel it's current length of about 17 miles (from I-95 to I-370), they could expect to pay at least $3.40, and over $4.00 if it's during peak time. Maybe it will catch on in the future, as the road does cut a significant amount of time for those trying to get from parts of Howard, AA, and PG to Montgomery County. It's just a shame to see an almost $2 billion project not even minimally reaching its expected service.
I'm sure you aren't the only one, but I do remember back in the early sixties when everyone was saying how ridiculous it was to build Dulles Airport so far out. In fact, it was called the white elelphant at that time. I guess the people that anticipated future usage were right all along. When you look at things with a less than open mind, and short range goals, probably a lot of futuristic things don't make sense to people that think the future is now. It's fifty years from now.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM

494 posts, read 804,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coquinegra View Post
Isn't it barely in PG county? More like the "Make MoCo drivers happy" than ICC
Back when the original plans had it going through most of PG county as well following 193 and or close to it atleast to the Kettering area i do believe? If i am not mistaken it was to go to/end at PA Avenue between the Beltway and Upper Marlboro but closer to Upper Marlboro? Probably forgetting something but that is how i basically remember it when the plans were discussed way back when. Not surprised that PG got screwed out of the deal.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM

494 posts, read 804,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I'm sure you aren't the only one, but I do remember back in the early sixties when everyone was saying how ridiculous it was to build Dulles Airport so far out. In fact, it was called the white elelphant at that time. I guess the people that anticipated future usage were right all along. When you look at things with a less than open mind, and short range goals, probably a lot of futuristic things don't make sense to people that think the future is now. It's fifty years from now.
Personally i think it should serve both PG and Montgomery. That would make it alot more useful. Knowing the area as i do AS IS is a joke as far as i am concerned. And yeah i do realize there is obstacles in PG thanks to development/protected areas etc. However as mentioned above the state DID have a plan and should have seized it back then before the explosive growth took place making it now nearly impossible from what i understand.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Personally i think it should serve both PG and Montgomery. That would make it alot more useful. Knowing the area as i do AS IS is a joke as far as i am concerned. And yeah i do realize there is obstacles in PG thanks to development/protected areas etc. However as mentioned above the state DID have a plan and should have seized it back then before the explosive growth took place making it now nearly impossible from what i understand.
The reason the plan didn't fall through because of environmental concerns and unwanted development from environmentalist groups and Virginia's involvement with the Outer Beltway bypass of their own.

What I don't agree with is the idea that more roads will help today. More roads can't change improper driving which causes the problems of traffic in the first place.

It also doesn't help most developments and jobs today are placed in locations only accessible by car, therefore more people are on the road.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I've driven the ICC two or three times since it's opened. Each occasion was close to rush hour. I estimate that, for each occasion, I may have passed only 100 other vehicles. Maybe it's a stretch, but the truth is that no one is using it; at least, not nearly as many as was probably projected.

Fortunately I've traveled the road for my job, and all of our vehicles are equipped with EZ Pass so it's been a free drive. But, if a car were to travel it's current length of about 17 miles (from I-95 to I-370), they could expect to pay at least $3.40, and over $4.00 if it's during peak time. Maybe it will catch on in the future, as the road does cut a significant amount of time for those trying to get from parts of Howard, AA, and PG to Montgomery County. It's just a shame to see an almost $2 billion project not even minimally reaching its expected service.
MD should have spent that money to build the Purple line between New Carroliton and Bethesda (which will take a lot more people off the beltway than the ICC) and get some decent transit along the 270 corridor. I think the ICC was a huge waste and it's sort of out of the way to really use it as a bypass to the beltway except for the locals that live in the area (which is not enough to justify such a large highway).

BTW, the speed limit on that is WAY too low. Should be 65 or 70mph on such an un-congested and limited access highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland