Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 51,444 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in or near Montgomery Village? I am looking to buy a home in Gaithersburg. A lot of feedback I am getting from people is that you want to stay away from Montgomery Village area. Lots of crime, new residents moving in are the cause, just going down hill in general. Is this truly the case? I noticed a lot of nice townhomes and condos for sale in and near Montgomery Village. I'm a native DC area resident, so crime is nothing new to me. I just want to make certain I know what I am getting into when I move to a new area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,703 times
I live in Montgomery Village. My opinion of it is that the new parts look nice, the old parts are -- well -- dated. All of the brown that they used IMO is sort of depressing. There are nice parts that bump right up to not so nice areas (including the neighborhood we live in). Lots of people just milling around a lot, which can be good or bad. There's a lot of crime from what I understand, lots and lots of gang activity and drugs. I've had a jar of ranch dressing busted at my door (not sure why, we are a nice quiet family.. ) my husband was egged and our home was egged.

The HOA is completely and utter oppresive, down to (in some neighborhoods) the color of the flowers you can plant.

We wouldn't buy, even though we can afford some of the townhomes and would be much closer to hubby's work.. we just don't care for the village all that much.

I would suggest taking a tour of wherever you are looking, at all times of day and night.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,567 times
I live in the village and love it!. It has changed a lot in the last twenty years though. No complaints other than the school system, and haven't been personally effected by crime. The development you choose is important!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM

42 posts, read 158,324 times
Definitely stay away from Mont. Village. The area is declining this is true. There have been crimes there especially around Lake Forest Mall (which is also declining). You can tell by the changing of the stores in the mall it is aimed more towards lower class now. They even have security that drives around the mall now because of all the increased crime that is happening. I'm in my 20s and my parents don't want me to go to that mall alone!! haha Now this isn't a BAD area, it is considered high class compared to other bad areas, but why live here when you can live 10 min farther south and be in a safe area with increase house values? You can buy more for your money in M.V. but you will not make a profit when you sell later. You may even lose money. If you want to buy in gaithersburg I would stay more towards the left of 270 and closer to rockville area. Sometimes people call this North Potomac but north potomac IS gaithersburg, just with a fancier name. If you get a real estate agent they will know the good areas better.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
I moved here to a nice quiet neigbhorhood just last month. To me, its a nice place. Some of the communities seem dated since the HOA overlords want to keep the place looking like it did back in 1970. One would assume all the money they are collecting they could update the look of some places. I believe most of the crime is clustered in certain areas, I suppose. Overall, I like it. I don't think the schools are that bad as everyone says they are. You just need to put things in perspective. But do be sure to pick the right development.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 9,440 times
Montgomery Village is a prejudice community againts blue colar workers. Even thought many of them live here the HOA wants to pretend they are not here and prohibited parking of vans, trucks, personal trucks of any type in your own parking spot or parking area. You must park at Apple Ridge Rd only and walk 2 or 3 miles to get home. It's pure descrimination. They also have weird rules about every little thing check your condo. booklet before make your decision. If you do not comply your neighbors will complain, HOA will send you violation letters, if it's a parking issue they will even towed your car.
Drug dealers, sexual offenders and children littering your front yard is commom wow don't forget about some neighbors rent their house for 6 individuals so you will not have guest parking space for your spouse car or your guests.
People and dumping old TVs, couchs, shelves, etc. in your front patio too.
Some neighbors complain about your direct TV or dish satellite they say it's too ugly and they keep complaining in HOA meetings.
Most of residents here wanted to live in a Wizard of OZ neighborhood but the reality here it's more like Simpsons neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM

How many people on this forum actually live in Montgomery Village?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
How many people on this forum actually live in Montgomery Village?
I do - 20+ years.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM

137 posts, read 277,619 times
i lived in montgomery village in a townhouse (as a renter), two different times actually. the first time was in '97 and then again from '02-'04 after college. i had no issues either time as far as crime is concerned, however, the 2nd townhouse (north of the shopping center) was a better experience. personally, i didn't find anything too outstanding, but also nothing bad to say. it's montgomery village, just another suburban spot north of dc. you can do better and you can do worse. like most place, it probably depends on the neighborhood and your neighbors. i think it's worth a look if you find the right spot.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 PM

I just dont understand why people try to treat it like its Anacostia or something like that. The way people talk about it you would think that there are robbing and shootings everyday. I dont know how it was back in the 90s but it seems fine to me now and i have been living here since September and I haven't had a problem with the people or anything here. Well the Montgomery Village Center needs updating thats about it. They are rebuilding part of it right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland