U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,247 times
Default Looking to relocate within DC area (North Laurel?)

My son is graduating from high school this year, and as we are currently renting, we would like to finally settle down somewhere. Right now, we're living in North Potomac. I work in downtown DC and my wife works in Bethesda; we carpool. I've been looking at some of the new construction in North Laurel, and my wife really likes the new construction in the area, and the fact that it's in a fairly good school district (Atholton HS).

However, what's the commute like from North Laurel to DC, and are there any other DC suburbs we should look into?

Low crime, decent schools (for maintaining property value), and proximity to DC are top priorities. We like North Laurel because it satisfies the first two points, but the commute seems a bit daunting. Our budget is about $450-600k, and either single-family or townhouse works for us.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 AM

174 posts, read 98,213 times
I live in Laurel (born and raised) and have worked in DC for the past 7 years. Depending on which part of DC you work in and how you commute to work, your commute may be rough.

When I first started working in DC, I drove. The commute in the morning ranged from 45 minutes to an hour and the commute in the afternoon usually took an hour to an hour and a half. I don't drive anymore, because it was just too mentally taxing for me. In fact, I think the only reason I was driving was because one of the companies I worked for provided free parking.

Now, I take the MARC train/Metro. My commute time hasn't changed much (from the door or my house to my office takes roughly an hour and 15 minutes), but it's a lot more relaxing since I'm not behind the wheel. I catch the MARC at the Laurel Station on Main Street (North Laurel may put you closer to the Savage Station). I take the MARC from Laurel to Union Station and the Metro from Union to Metro Center.

I like Laurel a lot. I grew up in South Laurel and my wife and I just bought a new townhome in North Laurel. I like Laurel because it feels like you're in the middle of everything. You're close to DC and you're close to Baltimore. You're close to multiple highways and have access to mass transportation. Plus I love the diversity of the area. You have whites, blacks, Asian, Hispanics, Indians, young folks, old folks, etc.

You have a great budget for the Laurel area though. I would check out the Emerson community in Laurel. They have both new townhomes and single family homes in your price range.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM

6,872 posts, read 8,392,073 times
Your commute would be similar to the one you have now from North Potomac. I think North Potomac is a better location myself, but I don't know what factors into your desire to move. Her commute to Bethesda would be much worse that it is now. Just my thoughts after reading the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland