Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM

354 posts, read 785,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Is it possible for you come to the area and take a look around? I know when we were looking at properties online, we'd stumble across a house we really liked, and then when we went to see it (not tour it) we discovered things about the surroundings that were a turn off to us (ie. too close to the neighboring house, high school stadiums across the street, too much diversity for our taste, etc.). None of which we could tell from the pictures of the house we liked.
in other words.. too many blacks and hispanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Lightbulb housing search in Cheverly

When considering housing/community relocation, maybe Mayberry and the Watergate - circa the Nixon
administration, could help guide choices to be made. Someplace between myth and madness, the
"ideal" community may be found,depending on one's sense of reality.
Having lived in Cheverly most of my adult life, I choose to be here. Not being forced to stay for economic reasons,I have thought of other places to live,but Cheverly always wins out. It is a welcoming and engaged small town - with responsive government. The town is close and easily
accessible to the rich, cultural life of Washignton,D.C.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It's the infamous "Nook" phenomenon. I go through the same thing where I live. In my "Nook" in Adelphi, it's great. Great neighborhood, great neighbors, lovely houses, etc. Yet, Adelphi/Hyattsville is larger than my Nook which encompasses those areas with higher crime. It's the same with Cheverly. My father lives in the nice Nook of Cheverly with the old single family homes, nice yards, etc. (behind the hospital), but Cheverly also includes the areas further east on 202 which includes areas that experience higher crime. So, while your Nook may be Mr. Roger's neighborhood, 4 blocks down the street may be a completely different experience. I think your part of Cheverly will maintain its distinction from the rest of Cheverly. Some crime, mostly thefts and break ins bleed into nicer neighborhoods that are in close proximity to higher crime areas. But it's what you can tolerate.
Which is definitely where postal zip codes come into play as well, especially when discussing the 'City of Hyattsville' and the general "Hyattsville" area. Cheverly is no exception either. The County's zoning system is just weird like that.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
in other words.. too many blacks and hispanics
It's gross and ugly when people use the word diversity as code word for people they don't want to be around. Ironically, it's the very lack of diversity in the schools around Cheverly that makes me question buying there.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:58 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-urban View Post
It's gross and ugly when people use the word diversity as code word for people they don't want to be around. Ironically, it's the very lack of diversity in the schools around Cheverly that makes me question buying there.
what? this post is like 3 years old smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland