U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM

17,144 posts, read 7,233,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Yeah it was mind-blogging. My wife remained rather mum during the process and it was to her detriment, but I myself was asking her what was taking so long. Kids that live in the areas like where she taught at, often times have emotional issues. They come from broken homes, have been abused, and lack any type of guidance. If the school system had better resources in those areas, I think it would help everybody that is involved.

Yes that is the main reason why we are moving. I do agree that good students won't make the schools better alone without improvements in other areas, but they are needed. I don't know if we have seen this too often but probably the best example of a school that successfully improved school performance by changing administration and teachers is Crossland High School. How likely is it to find a principal like theirs that will encourage students for high achievement instead of just collecting a paycheck and saying these kids are hopeless? Regardless, this is a huge, huge mess.
Isn't Crossland still the worst high school in PG? I see their sign about college students but I'm not so sure that's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM

7,307 posts, read 4,821,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Isn't Crossland still the worst high school in PG? I see their sign about college students but I'm not so sure that's true.
Not anymore. Their school performance has improved dramatically.

At Crossland High, an AP testing boom - The Washington Post

Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 667,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Granted, I don't live in PG, and I don't know it very well.

I did recently drive around the northern parts of PG - places like Mt. Ranier, Hyattsville, College Park, Greenbelt, Beltsville, Laurel, Berwyn Heights, etc.

Granted, the northern part is suppose to be the 'better off' of the county. But, it seemed visually fine to me. The only thing I really noticed is that black is the predominate color of the people - although, actually, I saw all kinds of races and ethnicities of people everywhere.

From 'visually looking around', the areas I drove in around, looked fine to me. Again, I was only in the northern parts of PG. There are a few places in northern PG, that I'm thinking I wouldn't mind living in myself. Mostly because real estate and housing is so much cheaper in PG than anywhere else in metro DC.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is 'the schools'. It sounds like Maryland in general has some system where entire counties are 100% affected. So, people who live in Laurel vs. North Laurel have completely different standards of education, based on the street they live in, and the county they reside in.

So....to me...it seems the best solution would be to decentralize county control over schools. Each area is accountable for their own students. At least, that way, PG doesn't collectively sink like a ship - 'all for one, and one for all'.

I will say one thing, however. Whatever is broken in the schools in PG, is pretty much broken throughout the entire United States of America. I think there are only a few counties that seem to doing okay with American public schools, and they seem to be in the wealthiest counties of America, which seem to be the other counties around DC besides PG.

If someone could fix the 'PG' school system, please tell influential members of both the national Republican and Democratic parties...try not to have them bicker about it, so we can get it changed nationwide immediately.
I agree with your statement except for the boldfaced part.

I completely reject the premise that schools throughout the United States are broken because it's simply untrue.

Wow, talk about painting with a broad brush!

Now, what PG County school officials should do is take a fact-finding trip to a state like Minnesota, study what they do and then copy it. There is a reason why Minnesota schools consisitenty rank among the best in the nation year after year, regarding standardized test scores (SATs, for example), high school graduation rates, and college acceptance and completion rates, resulting in a higher educated workforce, a better politically-informed electorate, and a more civic-minded populace.

Just my humble observation.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM

17,144 posts, read 7,233,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Not anymore. Their school performance has improved dramatically.

At Crossland High, an AP testing boom - The Washington Post
I like his tactics but I live near there and when the weather gets warm they are shooting dice in the shopping center across the street.

I was in Giant a few weeks ago and this elderly man was talking to a teenage worker there. I guess he knew him anyway he's like "I heard there was this big fight at the school (Crossland) and the security guard had a gash in his head"

I guess coming from the gutter any improvement is dramatic but I'm not impressed.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM

425 posts, read 534,814 times
And back then, there wasn't a problem with poorer black kids influencing wealthier black kids into a thug mindset.

Bowian,

Do you have any thoughts on what causes this problem? I believe it is real, but I don't understand it. Under normal circumstances I would expect most kids to want to emulate their wealthier peers, not the opposite.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 PM

7,307 posts, read 4,821,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I like his tactics but I live near there and when the weather gets warm they are shooting dice in the shopping center across the street.

I was in Giant a few weeks ago and this elderly man was talking to a teenage worker there. I guess he knew him anyway he's like "I heard there was this big fight at the school (Crossland) and the security guard had a gash in his head"

I guess coming from the gutter any improvement is dramatic but I'm not impressed.
Yeah I drive through there quite often and go to the BP next to the high school after I get off work. Those kids definitely are rowdy. I think the principal is taking the right approach and has had some success. Compared to where they were before, he's making some positive change. I'm not saying the school is the best, but it is a marked improvement. It used to be regarded as one of the worst high schools in the county a few years ago.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM

50 posts, read 33,688 times
The best way to fix is Let half of people in PG move to NVA and MC.. let half of people in NVA and MC move to PG

Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,931,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
And back then, there wasn't a problem with poorer black kids influencing wealthier black kids into a thug mindset.

Bowian,

Do you have any thoughts on what causes this problem? I believe it is real, but I don't understand it. Under normal circumstances I would expect most kids to want to emulate their wealthier peers, not the opposite.

What is the most gloried black caricature in media and entertainment? The thug or hoodlum. It's in music, in movies, it's mocked in tv shows, etc. So, kids think it's hip to be thuggish. Ever watch Fresh Prince of Bel Air? Carlton envied Will. Until we start holding other things in esteem as far as doctors, lawyers, scientists, and politicians, then the thug will rain supreme as the roll model kids want to follow. Plain and simple, it's peer pressure.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM

546 posts, read 314,033 times
Quote:
The best way to fix is Let half of people in PG move to NVA and MC.. let half of people in NVA and MC move to PG

Just move out the pearl clutchers who probably don't even live there.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,231,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post

Bowian,

I think it's a family value shift, among other things. Family values (e.g., respect for others, particularly adults, taking responsibility, knowing your "job" and doing it without a lot of whining and excuses, and empathy towards parents and other family members) have taken a plummet generally in this society. There is a disconnect between parents and children wherein kids seem to value peers and their respect and "love" as opposed to parental respect and love and respect from authority. Plus, children seem to want what they want when they want it (which is usually immediately or as soon as possible). Delayed gratification, working for what you want and helping others to achieve together are seemingly lost on young people. Generally speaking.

With regard to black children, I would say the biggest issue is that they forget where they came from and that their forbears busted their butts for them. Whether you want to blame the media, hip-hop, thug culture, jailhouse culture, lack of morality, or a scratchin' and survivin' mindset, it all comes back to that first sentence in this paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland