Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Gazette.Net: County councilwoman ticketed for driving 105 mph on Capital Beltway

Quote:
Prince George’s County Councilwoman Karen Toles said in a statement Tuesday evening that she was late for an appointment when she received a citation for an unsafe lane change and a warning about speeding after police say she was driving 105 mph in her county-issued vehicle on the Capital Beltway.

A county police blog post reported she received a $90 ticket Feb. 22 for exceeding the 55 mph speed limit near the Branch Avenue exit.

In the statement, Toles (D-Dist. 7) of Suitland said she “was leaving a meeting and was late” for her next appointment.

“I consider moving violations serious matters and I regret the incident. I intend to pay the appropriate fine for these traffic violations,” the statement said.

County police pulled over Toles around noon, according to the blog. She was driving her county-issued 2011 Ford Edge, a sport utility vehicle, police said.

Toles received the ticket and a warning for speeding, the post states.
Cpl. Henry Tippett, a county police spokesman, said police released the information after multiple media inquiries, but that it is just like "any other citizen getting a traffic ticket."

Tippett did not know offhand where Toles was headed and if she already p
This is one of her supporters who voted her in office and now regrets it:
Gazette.Net: Time for Toles to ‘man up’

Quote:
Many of us proudly left those voting booths feeling like we had voted for our superhero. As I recalled, everywhere I looked, there were posters of a young woman, dressed in a suit with neatly done hair and flawless makeup, and inscribed on the poster were the words “Vote For Karen Toles.” Surely, I thought to myself, she looks professional and competent, and since I cannot run for a County Council seat at this point, why not vote for her?
And this is what happens when you base your vote based on how someone looks instead of holding them accountable:

Maryland Judiciary Case Search

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Gazette.Net: County councilwoman ticketed for driving 105 mph on Capital Beltway

This is one of her supporters who voted her in office and now regrets it:
Gazette.Net: Time for Toles to ‘man up’

And this is what happens when you base your vote based on how someone looks instead of holding them accountable:

Yeah I saw this on the news last night. It was very disconcerting. What really struck me was the arrogance that she displayed once she finally stopped. I agree this can be the result of voting on appearance instead of record.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
According to the Post and other news outlets, the ticket was for an unsafe lane change or some such. Not for the speeding -- she received only a warning for her impersonation of the bat-out-of-hell.This is sad. But also laughable. People don't know who in the heck they are electing. Anyone who dresses nicely and talks a good game apparently has a good shot. Doesn't some of Toles' case history pre-date her election? Can the county not do better?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:26 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
There is driving over the speed limit and there is DRIVING OVER THE SPEED LIMIT. In Arizona if you are 20 or more miles over the speed limit it's reckless endangerment - more fines more points! She didn't even get a ticket for speeding???!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
There is driving over the speed limit and there is DRIVING OVER THE SPEED LIMIT. In Arizona if you are 20 or more miles over the speed limit it's reckless endangerment - more fines more points! She didn't even get a ticket for speeding???!!!
I know right. The latest that I read, either in the WaPost or the Gazette, was that the officer didn't have enough time to actually hit the speed gun to see how fast she was going. That is why they couldn't give her a ticket. That logic still sounds faulty but it is what it is.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I know right. The latest that I read, either in the WaPost or the Gazette, was that the officer didn't have enough time to actually hit the speed gun to see how fast she was going. That is why they couldn't give her a ticket. That logic still sounds faulty but it is what it is.
Yeah that sounds weak. He could have at least given her a reckless driving charge. That is something that he didn't need extra evidence for. They just said on Fox News when she was pulled over this time and when she was pulled over last week (was reportedly going 100 mph on Penn. Ave.), she mentioned both times that she was a member of the Council. I think we have honestly got to start to look at ourselves and wonder if we are enabling these leaders. I mean if we keep voting unethical people into office even though they do not display the decorum and integrity to hold a public office, then what is the incentive for them to change?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM

Latest in the saga.

Prince George

Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post

Yes, the logic sounds faulty, be we all know in court you have to prove BEYOND a reasonable doubt. We all know that people on the Betlway drive 80+ mph on a regular basis. It's awful hard to judge someone's speed standing still. On the other hand, if the cop had a mounted camera in his car that displayed how fast he was going chasing her, then that could be proof.

Trust me, I agree that she should be fined accordingly, but if went to court, she would win.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes, the logic sounds faulty, be we all know in court you have to prove BEYOND a reasonable doubt. We all know that people on the Betlway drive 80+ mph on a regular basis. It's awful hard to judge someone's speed standing still. On the other hand, if the cop had a mounted camera in his car that displayed how fast he was going chasing her, then that could be proof.

Trust me, I agree that she should be fined accordingly, but if went to court, she would win.
That's why the reckless driving portion should have been a charge and not just a warning. That is supposed to be at an officer's discretion. It is pretty hard to defend against that. I don't see how someone driving 50+ mph over the speed limit is not considered reckless especially if they have a history of doing it. It just sounds like a lot of excuses.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
As a side note; we all know a police officer's word trumps one queen. I have seen hearings where the police estimate a person's speed (forget about the radar gun); based on their training and experience and WHAM! guilty $200 fine. When there's a 50 mph difference it's pretty easy (even for the non-professional to identify the speed as excessive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland