U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM

2,699 posts, read 4,070,497 times
Default Lowdown on Bethesda without mention of housing costs

Hey everyone,

Can you tell me what living in downtown Bethesda will be like for a young professional? I managed to find a really good deal so most of the "ZOMG Bethesda is way out of my price range!!" posts are not much help. It will be about 5-10 minutes from my work and it seems walkable from my recent visit.

Is it mostly middle aged yuppies making the big bucks? To the young professionals that are in Bethesda, do you typically catch the metro into DC every weekend?
I'll probably move anyways since my work is so close though.

As an aside, when people talk about the high taxes in Montgomery County, which ones are they specifically talking about?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM

6,762 posts, read 6,401,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
As an aside, when people talk about the high taxes in Montgomery County, which ones are they specifically talking about?
I think the property taxes and the state income tax with the local add-on. I can't comment on life for a young professional in Bethesda. However, congratulation on finding a good deal there.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think the property taxes and the state income tax with the local add-on. I can't comment on life for a young professional in Bethesda. However, congratulation on finding a good deal there.
Thanks! What's this local add-on to the income tax?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,165,224 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Can you tell me what living in downtown Bethesda will be like for a young professional? I managed to find a really good deal so most of the "ZOMG Bethesda is way out of my price range!!" posts are not much help. It will be about 5-10 minutes from my work and it seems walkable from my recent visit.

Is it mostly middle aged yuppies making the big bucks? To the young professionals that are in Bethesda, do you typically catch the metro into DC every weekend?
I'll probably move anyways since my work is so close though.
For a young professional (I'm not a professional yet, but I am still young), I think it is quite fun though if you want more, just hop on the metro to DC. Lots of people are out at night especially with the warmer weather and you will notice that there are many bars around. Those bars will have anyone from middle-aged folks to the more commonly-found college crowd (Cordell ave and Norfolk ave) so if you're into that, it won't be a problem. You can walk around many places for basic needs which is my favorite part about living here. There are:
3 grocery stores
3 CVS's
1 Library
2 Post offices
1 metro station with a bus terminal that has buses for local and regional and out-of-state trips.
Hundreds of restaurants

With this amount of convenience, it has saved me a bundle and has made my legs stronger.

Yuppies refer to young folks, not middle-aged folks. Lunch time during the workweek is the only time I ever see middle-aged people. There are probably people that take the metro to DC every weekend if they want a little more nightlife/ more things to do. I don't normally go to DC like that but I'm sure there are people who do. Congrats on the new place.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM

6,762 posts, read 6,401,259 times
Quote:
Thanks! What's this local add-on to the income tax?
OP- Do you already live in Maryland? Anyway, here's the explanation of the add-on tax:
Maryland Income Tax Information - Local Tax Rates Info on rates here: http://individuals.marylandtaxes.com...ax/default.asp

For Montgomery County the add-on is 3.2%, and a some other counties it is less. So if your income tax for the state is the maximum rate of 5.5%, you add on another 3.2 % for the county.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,338,958 times
If you give at least an approximate address it could help. Some people may head to DC for clubbing or museums or the Kennedy Center, while others would prefr to stay in Bethesda or head to the mountains, etc. What are your interests? Certainly lots of restaurants, etc. in Bethesda. No need to criticize others who give advice (for free, and to total strangers). You don't pay to use this site. The fact that budget is not a big consideration for you is great. We lived in Silver Spring and enjoyed it. We have friends who live in Bethesday, but not near downtown, and they love it.

What are your interests? On weekends I stayed homeand did yard work, volunteered at an animal shelter in DC, and went on runs/walks of several Hash House Harrier groups (running and beet drinking).

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM

42 posts, read 47,595 times
I lived in Bethesda as a young professional, and continued to live there for the first few years of of my married life and until our son was 1 1/2. We moved only due to corporate transfer. Bethesda is full of young professionals and it has an urban feel. I will say that it is not the same as actually being in DC but I would not say that you would want to go into DC EVERY weekend. If you go clubbing a lot and want to be able to take a cab home on the weekends rather than metro then DC would be more convenient. There is a bar scene in downtown Bethesda but there is no club scene really. The bar scene is a little more laid back than the lounge/martini bar type places in downtown DC but the crowd is still urban and there are still lots of young professionals. There are many great restaurant options in downtown Bethesda and I agree with rsh56 in that there are lots of young professionals out even on weeknights. The families usually come out on mostly on weekends during the day with their strollers and kids. If Bethesda is convenient to your work and you have a good housing deal, I don't think you will be unhappy. I loved living there both unmarried and married w/ kids. Besides the cost, it was perfect. We would move back if we have a chance. Hope that helps!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
For a young professional (I'm not a professional yet, but I am still young), I think it is quite fun though if you want more, just hop on the metro to DC. Lots of people are out at night especially with the warmer weather and you will notice that there are many bars around. Those bars will have anyone from middle-aged folks to the more commonly-found college crowd (Cordell ave and Norfolk ave) so if you're into that, it won't be a problem. You can walk around many places for basic needs which is my favorite part about living here. There are:
3 grocery stores
3 CVS's
1 Library
2 Post offices
1 metro station with a bus terminal that has buses for local and regional and out-of-state trips.
Hundreds of restaurants

With this amount of convenience, it has saved me a bundle and has made my legs stronger.

Yuppies refer to young folks, not middle-aged folks. Lunch time during the workweek is the only time I ever see middle-aged people. There are probably people that take the metro to DC every weekend if they want a little more nightlife/ more things to do. I don't normally go to DC like that but I'm sure there are people who do. Congrats on the new place.
Thanks! Yeah, I guess middle aged Yuppie is a bit of an oxymoron-I was really referring to well-to-do folks who want an urbanish environment.
The convenience is what really appeals to me also. Walking around to reach everything will save a lot of wear and tear on my car and will make for a healthier lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
OP- Do you already live in Maryland? Anyway, here's the explanation of the add-on tax:
Maryland Income Tax Information - Local Tax Rates Info on rates here: Maryland Income Tax Information

For Montgomery County the add-on is 3.2%, and a some other counties it is less. So if your income tax for the state is the maximum rate of 5.5%, you add on another 3.2 % for the county.
I live in Fairfax County in VA right now.
Thanks for the info..that's unfortunate but such is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
If you give at least an approximate address it could help. Some people may head to DC for clubbing or museums or the Kennedy Center, while others would prefr to stay in Bethesda or head to the mountains, etc. What are your interests? Certainly lots of restaurants, etc. in Bethesda. No need to criticize others who give advice (for free, and to total strangers). You don't pay to use this site. The fact that budget is not a big consideration for you is great. We lived in Silver Spring and enjoyed it. We have friends who live in Bethesday, but not near downtown, and they love it.

What are your interests? On weekends I stayed homeand did yard work, volunteered at an animal shelter in DC, and went on runs/walks of several Hash House Harrier groups (running and beet drinking).
No criticism intended; I just noticed a common theme in Bethesda threads that I read. And if you'll notice, I was referring to some people asking about Bethesda, not people giving free advice (which I appreciate). It's not that budgeting is a small consideration for me, but with roommates, I've found a deal well within my budget.

The apartments are on Bradley Blvd close to the intersection with Wisconsin Ave.

My interests (at least regarding what I want in a place to live) are having microbreweries around or at least bars that serve them, coffee shops (I don't hate Starbucks, but I like a variety), some cheap places to grab a quick lunch, and some comfortable public place (park, town square, etc) that I can sit and read a good book. And of course I hope to meet other younger people in Bethesda.
For crazy nights going out clubbing, I'm fine with going to DC. The only thing that concerns me is finding a cheap takeout lunch.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 AM

12,452 posts, read 18,428,137 times
I'd think it would be more interesting than Vienna Virginia for someone in their late 20s....by a long shot!

Bethesda certainly has a lot more density to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland