Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 AM

41 posts, read 103,057 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Wondering if there are any areas that are on the quirky/crunchy side that we could look at to live in. One of us would be commuting to College Park.
The other is unknown at the moment; current leads are in Alexandria VA or Baltimore (I know, totally opposite directions)...but those are tenuous leads. Could also end up working in DC. Partly, we would figure it out based on where we decide to live, so as I said, I'm looking for suggestions on whether there are any areas we might like.

We're 30-ish, no kids yet. Into acoustic music, food co-ops, cycling, want to find a progressive area to live. DC is a possibility, but kind of expensive, and we'd have to rent. We know much less about the suburbs, so that's what I'd love to get suggestions on. Is it possible to find this type of area in the suburbs? We'll probably rent at first, want to get at least 2 bedrooms, up to $2000/month. I guess if we bought right away, we'd be limited to about $350k.

To split it up, I'm wondering about areas
- right near College Park
- between Baltimore and College Park
- between Alexandria and College Park

Any tips or red flags on the commute would be great too (i.e. "commuting to Baltimore from DC is crazy" or "live near Baltimore instead of College Park")
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 41,758 times
In PG county you should look into the Gateway Arts District area - Mount Rainier / Brentwood / Hyattsville. - Glut Food-coop, progressive residents, affordable. Lots of younger residents moving in, buying homes and fixing them up.

Takoma Park in MoCo is also a possibility - TP/SS food co-op, progressive residents, more expensive but better schools if that's a factor. More of an aging hippy-turned-yuppy population.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 PM

321 posts, read 1,125,053 times
You could look into Greenbelt as well. It's right near the Parkway so it's convenient going to DC or Baltimore. There's also a grocery co-op in Old Greenbelt.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Takoma Park and Mount Rainier are crunchier than a bowl of Kashi cereal.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 63,449 times
When you said Granola I immediately thought Takoma Park. I get a lot of customers from there for my cell phone repair business. They're cool. I'm not a granola boy but I do like to eat healthy and I do yoga and stuff. I think TP is your first bet but it's pretty expensive.

Greenbelt is a good one, they have a really great co-op and it's pretty crunchy, too.

Great thread!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Takoma Park. Look no further.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
When you said Granola I immediately thought Takoma Park. I get a lot of customers from there for my cell phone repair business. They're cool. I'm not a granola boy but I do like to eat healthy and I do yoga and stuff. I think TP is your first bet but it's pretty expensive.

Greenbelt is a good one, they have a really great co-op and it's pretty crunchy, too.

Great thread!
What's the CO-OP all about in Greenbelt?

I've often heard the name, but not sure what it entails exactly. Basicall, it's a grocery store that is cheaper, as the entire community takes on ownership, right?

Just wondering how that works if 'just anyone' goes there as well...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the CO-OP all about in Greenbelt?

I've often heard the name, but not sure what it entails exactly. Basicall, it's a grocery store that is cheaper, as the entire community takes on ownership, right?

Just wondering how that works if 'just anyone' goes there as well...
It's just a grocery store, but owned by the community instead of a faceless corporation. I've only bought chap stick in the Greenbelt co-op but previously shopped at one in a much, much crunchier town in New England and it was similar. Prices are not necessarily cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland