U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,152 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are relocating to Aspen Hill within the next few months. We drove up a couple of times and noticed some nice area's and some not-so-nice areas. We are in touch with an agent and she just sent us a listing of a very nice house [we are renting] at $2,000. We would love to go for this house but have not checked out that particular area. The house is located off Turkey Branch Pkwy and Grenoble Dr in the Adv Sub Brookhaven. Our main concern is that the neighborhood is safe and that it is an overall pleasant neighborhood to live in, lower/middle class etc. - we would appreciate any help! I have attached a screenshot of the area, I don't know if it will post.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to Aspen Hill-screen-shot-2012-04-11-9.26.37  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 AM

7,140 posts, read 7,171,126 times
I own a house in the area, and $2000 is a reasonable rental rate. You could expect your neighbors to be in similar economic circumstances.

There have been occasional violent acts along the main roads in the past few years, eg a youth-gang murder. But they are exceptions. Please check for a crime stats web-site if it concerns you.

Addition: I found the listing, and it is a very good deal. I'd say take it! If you hesitate too long, someone else will!

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-12-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,439,196 times
Screen shot didn't post, as far as I could see. Maybe you can post a URL (e.g., if there's a real estate ad).

Aspen Hill is, of course, just one section of Silver Spring, which is not an incorporated town but a large unincorporated section of Montgomery County. Your mailing address should be Silver Spring (with a depressingly large number of items addressed to Silver Springs). No matter. We lived near Hathaway Drive and Layhill. I commuted to DC most of the time, taking the Metro from the Glenmont station. Nice. I think the general location is good. Being near some parkland and the Matthew Hanson Trail could be an advantage. Sorry I don't recall gettng over to the area of Aspen Hill west of Connecticut Avenue much. Looks you'll be a short drive from Wheaton Mall, which is a mixed blessing.

Will you be commuting to work and, if so, to where (and by car or public transportation)? And why are you specifying the Aspen Hill area of Silver Spring (and not, say, Wheaton, Kensington, etc.)?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Screen shot didn't post, as far as I could see. Maybe you can post a URL (e.g., if there's a real estate ad).

Aspen Hill is, of course, just one section of Silver Spring
Odd, but I saw the map as an attached thumbnail. And, when I look it up, the mailing address is Rockville. But, Samoi's comments are correct.

The parkland should be an attractive place to bike or walk during daylight. I don't want to scare you away, but several years ago there was an Aspen Hill rapist who attacked several women in the parkland. He's been caught.

The Wheaton Woods Elementary School gets above-average ratings, if you have kids. I think the OP is correct in seeing this as a working/middle class neighborhood. These are not the most expensive houses in the area, just average ones. If you really want a safer area, you would have to go further out, like Olney or Howard County.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,152 times
Default Thank you guys

Thank you guys very much for the information. The particular house we were looking at was rented out within less than 24 hours from when we posted the thread. The information provided was helpful none-the-less. Being that you guys are seemingly familiar with Aspen Hill; I would really greatly appreciate if any of you could provide information for the "Miltfred Terrace" area off Arctic avenue?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenhill1111 View Post
The particular house we were looking at was rented out within less than 24 hours from when we posted the thread. The information provided was helpful none-the-less. Being that you guys are seemingly familiar with Aspen Hill; I would really greatly appreciate if any of you could provide information for the "Miltfred Terrace" area off Arctic avenue?
It looks like a nice street. If you see another good deal, don't wait too long. I suspect good rentals are in high demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland