Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM

30 posts, read 221,168 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm looking for some info in regards to crime in PG County. I am thinking of moving to the area. Ive been there a few times, and like it a lot (family in Mitchellsville and Laurel) I see a lot of people downtalk PG County and make it out to be some kind of warzone. I find it hard to believe it is as bad as people make it but I am aware it has a high crime rate. I'm from The Bronx so I've grown up around crime and I feel like crime can't be exponentially worse anywhere else . Are a lot of PG's crimes drug related? Where does a lot of crime occur? I suspect areas immediately outside of DC such as Cap Heights, Hyattsville, Largo, Suitland. Etc. Sorry this was kind of lengthy but is there anyone who KNOWS what they are talking about and can shed some light on the county? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,913,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Artifice View Post
Hey, I'm looking for some info in regards to crime in PG County. I am thinking of moving to the area. Ive been there a few times, and like it a lot (family in Mitchellsville and Laurel) I see a lot of people downtalk PG County and make it out to be some kind of warzone. I find it hard to believe it is as bad as people make it but I am aware it has a high crime rate. I'm from The Bronx so I've grown up around crime and I feel like crime can't be exponentially worse anywhere else . Are a lot of PG's crimes drug related? Where does a lot of crime occur? I suspect areas immediately outside of DC such as Cap Heights, Hyattsville, Largo, Suitland. Etc. Sorry this was kind of lengthy but is there anyone who KNOWS what they are talking about and can shed some light on the county? Thanks
Okay it's difficult to summarize the whole county so I will give you the gist.

Here goes the places you avoid at all cost: Capitol Heights, Suitland, Marlow Heights, Hillcrest Heights, Langley Park, Bladensburg, Landover

Places that are okay but have more bad than good: District Heights, Oxon Hill, Hyattsville, Riverdale, Temple Hills, Mount Ranier, Colmar Manor, Landover Hills

Places that are okay but have more good than bad: Fort Washington, Upper Marlboro, Largo, Laurel, Greenbelt, Clinton, Brandywine, Beltsville

Best parts of the county: Bowie, Accokeek, University Park, College Park

I'm sure I may have forgotten a few but that's the gist. What areas are you most interested in?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Okay it's difficult to summarize the whole county so I will give you the gist.

Here goes the places you avoid at all cost: Capitol Heights, Suitland, Marlow Heights, Hillcrest Heights, Langley Park, Bladensburg, Landover

Places that are okay but have more bad than good: District Heights, Oxon Hill, Hyattsville, Riverdale, Temple Hills, Mount Ranier, Colmar Manor, Landover Hills

Places that are okay but have more good than bad: Fort Washington, Upper Marlboro, Largo, Laurel, Greenbelt, Clinton, Brandywine, Beltsville

Best parts of the county: Bowie, Accokeek, University Park, College Park

I'm sure I may have forgotten a few but that's the gist. What areas are you most interested in?
I thank you for your response, and yea I totally understand its difficult to summarize crime for the county as a whole. I was looking at New Carrollton, Hyattsville, Greenbelt, College Park, Largo, Adelphi, Laurel and Takoma Springs (I know thats not PG but its pretty close)

Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 PM

7,069 posts, read 9,489,925 times
Quote:
I thank you for your response, and yea I totally understand its difficult to summarize crime for the county as a whole. I was looking at New Carrollton, Hyattsville, Greenbelt, College Park, Largo, Adelphi, Laurel and Takoma Springs (I know thats not PG but its pretty close)

You mean Takoma Park and Silver Spring. They are two separate cities in Montgomery County. Though they both border PG county.

A word of advice, when asking about crime, get the facts from a crime reports website such as the county crime report site or a police blotter. In a forum, you get a lo of subjectivity and feelings. Some people judge how bad crime is in a place based on how it looks. You want to know about crime, go straight to the source where you can even see the types of crimes in certain areas.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You mean Takoma Park and Silver Spring. They are two separate cities in Montgomery County. Though they both border PG county.

A word of advice, when asking about crime, get the facts from a crime reports website such as the county crime report site or a police blotter. In a forum, you get a lo of subjectivity and feelings. Some people judge how bad crime is in a place based on how it looks. You want to know about crime, go straight to the source where you can even see the types of crimes in certain areas.

Thanks, I meant Takoma Park. I went to the website already for the PG police department and viewed some monthly stats. I still wanted to ask residents or people familiar with the are to get a feel because crime stats can sometimes be decieiving and a lot of crimes, at least in my experience go unreported.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,913,773 times
Quote:
I will tell you about places that I know the most which is Largo and Laurel.

Largo is decent, but the problem is it's close to bad areas. Most of the crime that happens in Largo happens around the metro station. If you live in any of the apartments or townhomes near there, there is a good high incident of car thefts. As you go further out in Largo off of 202, it's much safer. There really isn't a whole lot else that's bad about Largo. It definitely has some nice parts, but if you want to live close to the metro station make sure you have a garage to park your car, just to be sure it will be there.

Laurel is a little confusing. First I should explain that it consists of three different counties (PG, Anne Arundel, Howard). I would assume you may be wondering about the PG side. There are two parts there, the 20707 part and the 20708 zip code part. The 20707 part is closest to Route 1 and has some very seedy parts especially in the main section of Laurel. My recommendation would be to stay away from this part as it has a bit of crime there. The other part 20708 is a little further away from retail and the main part and it's also quieter and safer. It is also close to 295 and 197. I would recommend that section over the other one.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM

182 posts, read 474,339 times
I currently live in the PG County part of Laurel (the 20708 part that pgtitans refers to) and it's not that bad at all in terms of crime. Let me rephrase, I feel comfortable here and I've never been a victim of crime for the 31 years that I've lived here Yes, Laurel has some seedy areas, but I wouldn't categorize it as "unsafe".

As far as the crime in Laurel, from what I've seen/read about/heard about through friends, it's a mix of everything, with the majority of it being crimes against property (a lot of theft), followed by drug offenses. There has been some violent crime, but those lean more toward assault and robbery (murder has been limited to 1 or 2 a year, if any). Check out this page from the City of Laurel, which has a crime statistics snapshot from 2007 through 2010: Statistics | City of Laurel, Maryland

Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I will tell you about places that I know the most which is Largo and Laurel.

Largo is decent, but the problem is it's close to bad areas. Most of the crime that happens in Largo happens around the metro station. If you live in any of the apartments or townhomes near there, there is a good high incident of car thefts. As you go further out in Largo off of 202, it's much safer. There really isn't a whole lot else that's bad about Largo. It definitely has some nice parts, but if you want to live close to the metro station make sure you have a garage to park your car, just to be sure it will be there.

Laurel is a little confusing. First I should explain that it consists of three different counties (PG, Anne Arundel, Howard). I would assume you may be wondering about the PG side. There are two parts there, the 20707 part and the 20708 zip code part. The 20707 part is closest to Route 1 and has some very seedy parts especially in the main section of Laurel. My recommendation would be to stay away from this part as it has a bit of crime there. The other part 20708 is a little further away from retail and the main part and it's also quieter and safer. It is also close to 295 and 197. I would recommend that section over the other one.
Do you know anything about Hyattsville? I hear mixed things about it. As I said, Im from The Bronx so Im used to crime and I couldnt imagine many places in PG having more crime than what Im used to. Im really only concerend about robberies and theft. Murders as unfortunate as they are arent too much of a concern for me. As bad as it sounds most murdrers, even in the worst of areas invole drugs, money or personal issues. Of course there are random murders, but for the most part if you mind your business (in which I do) you should be just fine. Im not expecting anywhere to be 100% crime free.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
I currently live in the PG County part of Laurel (the 20708 part that pgtitans refers to) and it's not that bad at all in terms of crime. Let me rephrase, I feel comfortable here and I've never been a victim of crime for the 31 years that I've lived here Yes, Laurel has some seedy areas, but I wouldn't categorize it as "unsafe".

As far as the crime in Laurel, from what I've seen/read about/heard about through friends, it's a mix of everything, with the majority of it being crimes against property (a lot of theft), followed by drug offenses. There has been some violent crime, but those lean more toward assault and robbery (murder has been limited to 1 or 2 a year, if any). Check out this page from the City of Laurel, which has a crime statistics snapshot from 2007 through 2010: Statistics | City of Laurel, Maryland
Thanks for that info. I wasnt aware that some of the towns in PG had their own crime stats available. I was looking at the site that had PG county's rates as a whole

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM

182 posts, read 474,339 times
Quote:
Agreed. Largo is definitely a nice town. I have friends that live in the area and I interviewed for a job over there. It seems that most of the issues occur in the immediate area surronding the Largo Town Center Metro Station and the shopping center next to it, the Boulevard at the Capital Centre (or simply, the Boulevard). In fact, Metro released a list of the most dangerous Metro stations (based on 2011 statistics) a month ago and Largo ranked in at #6 (for those of you that don't know, the Metro system currently has 81 stations). Check out the story and rankings here:
Deanwood station logs most Metro crime in 2011 | Washington Examiner

The sad thing is that every station on the most dangerous list is in DC or Prince George's County. Four out of the five stations that are the safest are located in Northern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland