Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,630 times

Advertisements

I usually haunt the Virginia forums because for the past couple of years I just sort of assumed my wife and I would relocate there.

In brief: I just finished my MA in history, but I live in a small town in the middle of Michigan. No job prospects in my field, not even valuable internships. However, we're saddled with debt and low retail incomes. She just finished school to become a dental assistant and hasn't found work yet.

Now, let's get this out of the way: I realize having low income and a ton of debt is a recipe for disaster when moving. But considering things have not improved as I once thought they would here, and the fact that we will not be able to have any savings for multiple years thanks to student loan repayment, we're really screwed if we stay.

So I need some helpful advice. Job hunting is really hard sticking to just online. I feel like I'd have better odds getting hired at a historical society or a museum or a consulting firm doing history or political related work around DC. But I don't have a specific location or job prospect. I'm just hoping that by moving there my odds of finding work (while still probably not great) are better than they are here.

Our low income and debt basically rules out anywhere within the beltway and most places in NOVA. So I'm considering Maryland now. Are there any towns that are suitable for our needs? We have no children, don't need a nightlife. Just need relatively cheap housing that's not garbage in a safe neighborhood. We'd like the town to be big enough where she could find dental assisting work, but I realize with my field I'll have to have a long commute.

Basically, I need a temporary "home base" closer to DC in order to look for work and get a new start on life before I get totally buried in the one I have here. Anyone ever been in a similar situation, or know of any steals in Maryland? I've thought about putting in for a transfer at my current retail job to carry us over, but the place is in a lot of locations and doesn't really help me narrow down my location search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,298,847 times
What is the most you can spend on rent? That will determine what areas are options for you.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Look toward Baltimore for cheaper places to rent, especially places along the commuter train lines, like Jessup, Dorsey, Waterloo.

I think with a degree in history, you might be able to sell yourself as a Congressional aide. Can you cultivate political connections? An aide starting at the bottom might answer mail. If you are good handling the public it helps.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM

I have customer service experience so I'm sure I could handle the public. I've never worked as any kind of aide before, though. I'd be willing to give it a shot and I'm willing to work my way up. I enjoy politics and history, so a career in either field would be great. I'm not very good at networking, but that may be just because there's been hardly any opportunity where I currently live to do so. Politics and history are virtually non-existent here and I've never been interested in traditional business careers.

As far as rent, probably about as low as you can possibly get while still being in an area free of crime. It looks the the averages of some towns I've looked at around about 1000 a month for a 1 bedroom. Are there any cheaper places? I know in NOVA there aren't.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Are there any cheaper places? I know in NOVA there aren't.
If you are looking for "free of crime", you are dreaming. There are chepaer places in Baltimore County along the rail line, but there's the trade-off in safety.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM

I guess I shouldn't have said "Free of crime" but a relatively safe place. No place is truly free of crime. I.e. low gang activity, murders, muggings, rapes, etc. As close to an average American crime level as possible.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Have you considered applying for a teaching position at a boarding school? Many of them have apartments/houses where the faculty live on campus. Most are close enough to a city for you wife to find a job. Pick one in an area with lots of museums and you could do Saturday volunteer work. Might be a way to get a foot in the door and network.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread, yet again, but I have an update and need more help.

After a whirlwind few months planning moves to here out of desperation to get a new start, I finally feel like I'm close to a job offer. I do really well in interviews and I have a second interview scheduled soon for a place in Silver Spring. So, this means I'm finally, actually, completely focusing on moving to this area within a matter of weeks.

The situation is still the same: hardly any money, no savings, etc. We will have to borrow money for a month, but I imagine with two jobs for myself (this one plus a weekend/evening retail job) and a dental assisting job for my wife we will be able to do okay in a more reasonable town.

Can someone recommend a safe place (average crime rate where she won't get mugged or attacked on the street) near Silver Spring? I was thinking Gaithersburg, but I've only found one apartment complex that seems both affordable and clean/safe.

Basically, right now, I'm hoping for $1000/mo with some utilities included. Though it would suck, we'd be willing to live in an efficiency or a studio for a few months if necessary, to get our bearings and get familiar with the towns.

I want my commute to be under an hour, and preferably along a train line (which is why I was hoping for Gaithersburg). I can handle a long commute especially if I'm not the one driving, and also because $100 a month for a monthly MARC pass is cheaper than the $260 a month I currently spend in gas.

But it's looking pretty hopeless. Is there no place for around $1000 with a studio or, if we're lucky, a 1BR in a safe, clean area within in hour of Silver Spring?

We don't want a shared space or roommates. We're done with that scene.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 AM

10 posts, read 23,416 times
i know nothing about this place but i live in gaithersburg and really enjoy it. They have a 1 bedroom listed now for $866 a month

Londonderry in Gaithersburg MD - Kay Management in Apartment Showcase

Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdteacher10 View Post
i know nothing about this place but i live in gaithersburg and really enjoy it. They have a 1 bedroom listed now for $866 a month

Londonderry in Gaithersburg MD - Kay Management in Apartment Showcase
What's the area like? It says 5 minutes to Lakeforest Mall, which I hear is a dive, especially at night. Is that well out of the range of a crime ridden town? I had looked into an apartment in Montgomery Village near there but then heard it was a pretty shady area. Being out of state, I pretty much have to go off of recommendations like that.

EDIT: http://spotcrime.com/#39.123915%2C%20-77.21329

I checked the website and it looks like it's in a pretty nasty area. Thanks for the suggestion though. It was at least one I hadn't heard of. Any lead is welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland