Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM

772 posts, read 1,142,364 times

Advertisements

Well, went to BCC today. It is CLEARLY diverse. Saw tons of Blacks, Hispanics, and people from various other backgrounds. As I figured, a lot of the "white" people don't look like the white people in Ohio. Generally, they are tanner and have curlier hair.

I'm not sold on BCC yet. The biggest drawback is that the school is overcrowded. They are sitting on 1,850 and are predicting an increase of approximately 400 pupils. They are actually going to have modular units in the near future. The classes seemed quite crowded, and it looked like the overcrowding was distracting some of the kids.

Although the students seemed reasonably well behaved, I did spot a few bad apples. The good apples, for their part, seemed a little fast. The kids were dressed VERY casually, and some of them seemed like their minds were elsewhere (e.g. big house parties on the weekend).

Their academic program, from what I can tell, seemed OK. I like how their IB and AP programs have open enrollment. Coming from a catholic school, we also like how they have a traditional grading scale (i.e. 100-90 A, 89-80, etc.). I also like how all the students have two textbooks: one for home and one that is kept in the class. My daughter is 5'2", and lugging around all those heavy books kills her (or may make her late for class when she has to run to her distant locker to snag a book).

The funny thing is, I question whether WJ will be meaningfully different. We are visiting that school later this month, so we'll find out in due time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM

82 posts, read 186,689 times
Oh my goodness. Where to start....

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a school. BCC is excellent. The diversity is very international. We have lots, and I mean lots, of diplomatic corps children here. Very, very few bad apples.

Have you studied the MCPS website in detail? I urge you to not only look at demographics and test scores, but something called "safety and security at a glance." it can be found along with FARMS data and mobility. These are all things you should consider.

Now, I also love WJ. Really. Maybe more down to earth, not as Chevy Chase snobby, slightly more inclusive, and less bullying as reported than BCC. Slightly more diversity than BCC, of the more "regular American" kind. This is not meant as a disparaging remark, merely factual. I love the people in North Bethesda.

If you are coming from a white, Midwest Catholic school, I am wondering if Georgetown Visitation, or Stone Ridge, is not your better bet. I don't know your $$$ obviously, but if you are not pleased with BCC, you may want to look at the
Privates or at Walt Whitman.

This is coming from a very white, yet brunette and curly haired, American.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,992 times
Well, it looks like I stand by what I've said earlier.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Well, it looks like I stand by what I've said earlier.

I think a lot of what you said was spot on. It seemed like the French teacher was pushing her students, though perhaps they didn't look as engaged as they ought to have. I can't say the same thing for the math teacher we saw. He didn't even look like he was in class half of the time and several kids were standing up, walking around, and talking. Maybe it wasn't representative of the whole school.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxcvbn View Post
Oh my goodness. Where to start....

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a school. BCC is excellent. The diversity is very international. We have lots, and I mean lots, of diplomatic corps children here. Very, very few bad apples.

Have you studied the MCPS website in detail? I urge you to not only look at demographics and test scores, but something called "safety and security at a glance." it can be found along with FARMS data and mobility. These are all things you should consider.

Now, I also love WJ. Really. Maybe more down to earth, not as Chevy Chase snobby, slightly more inclusive, and less bullying as reported than BCC. Slightly more diversity than BCC, of the more "regular American" kind. This is not meant as a disparaging remark, merely factual. I love the people in North Bethesda.

If you are coming from a white, Midwest Catholic school, I am wondering if Georgetown Visitation, or Stone Ridge, is not your better bet. I don't know your $$$ obviously, but if you are not pleased with BCC, you may want to look at the
Privates or at Walt Whitman.

This is coming from a very white, yet brunette and curly haired, American.
"Very, very few bad apples" Maybe, but is always a bad sign when a girl is out in the hall talking about how "Sombody's starting something" or whatever. From what I could tell, an administrator had to go talk her down.

No, I think BCC or WJ (which I haven't visited yet) is the best fit. I am down to these two schools. I just said that I wasn't sold on BCC yet. I wouldn't read too much into my words.

"This is coming from a very white, yet brunette and curly haired, American." I try not to be too critical on discussion forums in the name of civility but I don't see what point this rather snide remark serves. An earlier poster characterized BCC as "mostly white." I was just there and it didn't seem like a mostly white school to me. As I said, I saw Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. I also saw tons of other kids whose so-called races I could not determine. Yes, some of these kids had somewhat fair skin. Many of them would be considered "white" depending on whom you ask. But many of them did not exactly remind me of the "white" people back home. They are more diverse (including in terms of their phenotype) and almost assurdedly less racially prejudice. My guess is that many of them are Jewish, Middle Eastern, and Eastern European, which is perfectly fine by us.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I think a lot of what you said was spot on. It seemed like the French teacher was pushing her students, though perhaps they didn't look as engaged as they ought to have. I can't say the same thing for the math teacher we saw. He didn't even look like he was in class half of the time and several kids were standing up, walking around, and talking. Maybe it wasn't representative of the whole school.
From my experience, the teachers are strict, esp the French ones. But it's a good thing to have after looking back.

Quote:
I can't say the same thing for the math teacher we saw. He didn't even look like he was in class half of the time and several kids were standing up, walking around, and talking. Maybe it wasn't representative of the whole school.
Lol I use to be student aid back in the days. I miss being able to walk around sending hall passes to classes. Usually when that happens, its group work from what I've observed. I don't think the teachers that are THAT laid back when it comes to their students. Nonetheless I've only heard about 1 or 2 crappy teachers and that's it. Good luck on your decision

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Lol. My comment, OP, was a gentle tongue in cheek. Both areas are heavily Jewish, and I don't see how that is not white? I'm not sure you will be able to find an exact type match to your previous home. Every state I have lived in has such a unique make up, and have been majority white, but the "white" part of each place is unique to its own cultural.

Once again, not meant as too snarky, it just made me laugh. Every place is different, and Bethesda is no exception. Have you considered NoVa (Fairfax, Loudoun) or are you set with Maryland for work, commute?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Added: Have you considered Poolesville? It's an interesting small town, not a lot to do, but if you want to stick with MOCO and want a serious education and some diversity focused on academics, that might be a good spot too.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM

If I misunderstood you or whatever, I apologize. I do not, however, want to debate whether Jews are white in the traditional sense. I think the answer to that question depends on whom you ask. Some of us don't even think race is a valid concept, and treat it as such just because we are essentially forced to.

No, I am down to BCC and WJ, for a variety of reasons. We will make due at either one.

Anybody else have a basis to compare/contrast BCC and WJ?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 PM

That's ok, no offense taken or meant!

Since you expressed concern over the growth of BCC, you might want to take a look at WJ projections on "schools at a glance" on the MCPS website. By 2017 they are projected to be at or over 2400, with BCC being around 2100-2200 by then.

One thing I really like about WJ is their bullying awareness and safety survey results. They have a lower percentage, and their teachers and parents seem pretty aware. I really commend the district for having such data available to prospective students and parents.

If you are looking to move in the two areas, both areas have great things to offer. I have enjoyed living here, and have gotten to know so many wonderful people. We are highly active, and both areas have highly active and achieving residents. Good luck to your daughter on new school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland