U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM

19 posts, read 22,212 times
Default Montgomery County will end up taxing its residents out of state

Looks like another huge property tax increase this year, on top of the one last year, to pay for a new bus transit system which apparently will never be self-reliant.

Examiner

Again, another reason why Fairfax is becoming the dominant county in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM

503 posts, read 360,652 times
"an average of $1.00 toll"

Translation in two parts:

1. It would never be able to pay for itself, hence the huge property tax increase.

2. By "average of" it means those "that can" will pay much more and those "that can't" will ride for free.

The leftist wet dream.....

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM

537 posts, read 397,070 times
I agreed with you, and two points to add:

From the article:
Quote:
Ninety percent of the county's tax base would pay for the system, though how much taxpayers shell out depends on which scenario the county chooses. Leggett and Council President Roger Berliner, D-Bethesda, declined to endorse a specific plan.
Last I checked, 90% of the residents of MoCo are not homeowners, so what other taxes are they planning on raising?

And secondly, you know that if they raise the tax rate 15%, it will never go back down, not even after the project is done.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM

7,420 posts, read 4,693,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigatou View Post
Looks like another huge property tax increase this year, on top of the one last year, to pay for a new bus transit system which apparently will never be self-reliant.

Examiner

Again, another reason why Fairfax is becoming the dominant county in the area.
Do you know why DC's property taxes are so low? It's because downtown DC pretty much covers the finances for the city so the residents don't have to. This is how all major cities work. If Montgomery County wants lower residential property tax, they should allow high density development in the form of major downtown's instead of fighting things like Science City saying it's too dense etc. It seems like people have no clue what it takes to function in a major metro area. What is your answer for traffic in the county by the way? Everyone seems to have an opinion except one for how the county will pay for transportation upgrades. Nobody wants to pay more taxes which is understandable but nobody is coming up with an alternative solution either. If people came up with alternative solutions instead of just complaints, where would we be?

By the way, Fairfax is doing the same thing to try and unbanize as we speak. They have businesses to tax though. Don't fight massive CBD commercial businesses in your neighborhood and Montgomery County could tax commercial businesses only as well. By the way, DC has lowered their residential property taxes a lot since downtown DC started paying for the whole city. It sits at 0.85% now. That's about a 100% drop from 20 years ago.

Fairfax County outlines tax options for Tysons Corner road projects
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/rea...cialtaxdis.htm

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-24-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't oppose sequestered urbanization, I'm enthusiastic about it actually. The White Flint sector plan should give a great urban center on an already well established mass transit system (ie redline). New transits system ARE needed but not ones which will continue to lose money for the next 50 years. Let me ask this. How much would the fare of the proposed rapid bus system need to be for the system to be entirely self reliant, and why can't that fare be charged? A $500 tax increase average per homeowner for ONE pet project is reaching absurdity levels.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM

516 posts, read 450,035 times
Are any transit systems self reliant? I would bet 99.99% are not. Roads aren't self reliant either. All transportation requires investment beyond direct usage fees.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Some transit systems are self reliant, even profitable, such as airlines, nationwide busing. In Japan train and bus systems in many cities are run by private companies. Much road construction and maintenance money comes from related usage fees, such as gasoline tax, registrations, new car taxes, which makes sense because the taxes come directly from those who will actually use the roads.

I'd hazard a guess and say that you are correct that most bus transit systems are not completely self reliant, and do generally take some tax money, but what's wrong with trying to mitigate this? I'd be really interested in seeing a chart of different bus transit systems nationwide ranked on self-sufficient funding, and then see what the best are doing right.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM

516 posts, read 450,035 times
I obviously meant public transit systems.

Also gas taxes and usage fees do not fully fund road construction and maintenance, especially rural roads.

The reason you will not see a BRT system or any mass transit system with fares that cover the full expense is, if you did, not many people would ride it. You have to find a balance.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,292,595 times
lol MoCo will never tax its residents out of state, not everyone can afford to live in Fairfax or even wants to. If you want to live in the DC region you only have so many choices and if taxes were driving people out of MoCo, wouldn't you see some sort of population decline instead of the constant construction I think the whole DC area sucks but I'd take Montgomery over Fairfax anyday, living in a rich cupcake land like Fairfax gives me the creeps.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 AM

2,989 posts, read 4,121,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
lol MoCo will never tax its residents out of state, not everyone can afford to live in Fairfax or even wants to. If you want to live in the DC region you only have so many choices and if taxes were driving people out of MoCo, wouldn't you see some sort of population decline instead of the constant construction I think the whole DC area sucks but I'd take Montgomery over Fairfax anyday, living in a rich cupcake land like Fairfax gives me the creeps.
You are right. Only the rich folks are leaving. Who will pay for this liberal utopia once they are gone?

Montgomery lost $4.6 billion in taxable income from tax years 2007 to 2008. More than
82 percent of that drop comes from taxpayers with incomes of $1 million or more, county
records show.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Co...oBudgetGap.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland