Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Unfortunately, stereotypes aren't there just because, or made up out of no where..... stereotypes basically "come about" because (normally in particular areas), a majority CREATES that stereotype for themselves.

It is always extremely refreshing to me to meet and know people going "against" the grain, and the known stereotype in given areas.

Have you ever thought of renting in a town home area, or single family?

But keep fighting the good fight and do what you have to do to take care of your family, when is your lease up? Keep fighting whoever runs the building, and if you do happen to come across anyone else who is bothered by it, try and join forces to get the association to DO something.
I own unfortunately and we are upside down. Our plan is to move and buy a townhome while renting this place out but we are waiting for my wife to get another job. That is the ONLY reason we are still here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I own unfortunately and we are upside down. Our plan is to move and buy a townhome while renting this place out but we are waiting for my wife to get another job. That is the ONLY reason we are still here.
Ahh gotcha. Well hang in there the best you can... and good luck with all of the changes. I'll pray for ya

What kind of job is your wife looking for?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Ahh gotcha. Well hang in there the best you can... and good luck with all of the changes. I'll pray for ya

What kind of job is your wife looking for?
Thank you!

She's a school teacher. She is currently working for the government, but she is trying to get back in the school systems.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM

213 posts, read 404,050 times
Quote:
Perhaps. The level of renters here is appalling. People just don't care anymore. The sense of community is dead here. Anytime I try to start some initiative her, it fails because people don't care.
Brother, do you have my sympathy!

For 34 years I lived in a condo complex in Montgomery County (East Rockville/Wheaton). And while it was for many years a decent middle class project, at some point it started going downhill and degenerating into a cesspool of owners who didn't want to be bothered and renters who didn't give a damn about the project.

I served on the Board of Directors many times and was President for three terms. And toward the end (when I reluctantly agree to be President again because no one else would do it) it was an uphill battle. No sense of community or responsibility at all. When we tried to enforce the rules and regulations, many of the residents were hostile and wanted us to mind our own business. For those we caught, we could levy fines but they simply ignored them. The lawyer's fees in dealing with these creeps was getting prohibitive.

Just as a gross example of the kinds of things going on. We had indoor garbage rooms. People were supposed to bag and tie up all garbage before putting it in the bins. Well some of these fine residents were throwing unbagged, soiled baby diapers directly into bins. And there were worse things than that.

The property manager (a dedicated lady really trying to keep the project as a nice place to live) actually had to get a court restraining order against residents who physically threatened her. She finally resigned in disgust, declaring "If someone gave me a unit in this project, I wouldn't live here."

I finally threw in the towel and got out. Since I was determined never again to live in a condo (which was all I could afford in the D.C. area) I left for another part of the country where I could comfortably afford a single family home. No regrets at all about that decision.

Fortunately I sold the unit at a decent price, but I noticed it back on the market recently at 60% less than I sold it for. Evidently I got out just in time.

Anyway, sorry to rant on about this as it is off topic. But your plight touched a nerve in me. Best of luck to you in finding a better housing situation.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,769 times
Quote:
Thank you!

She's a school teacher. She is currently working for the government, but she is trying to get back in the school systems.
Another toughie.... I'm sure a majority of the local school systems are super... awesome. For the lack of better words.... but I know my Mom used to work for a private school several years ago that she seemed to enjoy a lot. I'll keep my eyes and ears open!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Brother, do you have my sympathy!

For 34 years I lived in a condo complex in Montgomery County (East Rockville/Wheaton). And while it was for many years a decent middle class project, at some point it started going downhill and degenerating into a cesspool of owners who didn't want to be bothered and renters who didn't give a damn about the project.

I served on the Board of Directors many times and was President for three terms. And toward the end (when I reluctantly agree to be President again because no one else would do it) it was an uphill battle. No sense of community or responsibility at all. When we tried to enforce the rules and regulations, many of the residents were hostile and wanted us to mind our own business. For those we caught, we could levy fines but they simply ignored them. The lawyer's fees in dealing with these creeps was getting prohibitive.

Just as a gross example of the kinds of things going on. We had indoor garbage rooms. People were supposed to bag and tie up all garbage before putting it in the bins. Well some of these fine residents were throwing unbagged, soiled baby diapers directly into bins. And there were worse things than that.

The property manager (a dedicated lady really trying to keep the project as a nice place to live) actually had to get a court restraining order against residents who physically threatened her. She finally resigned in disgust, declaring "If someone gave me a unit in this project, I wouldn't live here."

I finally threw in the towel and got out. Since I was determined never again to live in a condo (which was all I could afford in the D.C. area) I left for another part of the country where I could comfortably afford a single family home. No regrets at all about that decision.

Fortunately I sold the unit at a decent price, but I noticed it back on the market recently at 60% less than I sold it for. Evidently I got out just in time.

Anyway, sorry to rant on about this as it is off topic. But your plight touched a nerve in me. Best of luck to you in finding a better housing situation.
Wow, that's quite a story. Sounds like this place. I think the concept of having a condominium is becoming more and more of a bad idea. I really just came here to get my family a start in real estate, but I really am ready to get out myself. Unfortunately, I think I came at the wrong time. People are already at the point that you described. Without a sense of community people, it just isn't a fun place to live. Even with my situation, I think people are afraid to say anything. It's almost like if it doesn't effect me directly, I don't care. That's not a good type of community to be in.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Another toughie.... I'm sure a majority of the local school systems are super... awesome. For the lack of better words.... but I know my Mom used to work for a private school several years ago that she seemed to enjoy a lot. I'll keep my eyes and ears open!
Thank you really appreciate that. She is putting those applications in, so hopefully something comes through soon.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
Could you just talk to this dude about it?

I'm not saying go all out tough guy on the joker, but maybe offer him a beer or something of the nature, and actually convince him to show a bit more respect?

Know what I mean?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Could you just talk to this dude about it?

I'm not saying go all out tough guy on the joker, but maybe offer him a beer or something of the nature, and actually convince him to show a bit more respect?

Know what I mean?
Yeah that is something that I have done without necessarily going to his residence, but even still, I'm not allowed to go to his residence and confront him. That would be against our rules, so I'm just trying to follow the letter of the law, or else they will find an excuse to punish me too. When I did talk to him (which he actually came to my door), again as I stated before, he became very belligerent and basically didn't think he was doing anything wrong. He has had the police called on him by other people as well but he just flat out refuses to change.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM

With that said, I will just give an update. I sent a letter to the HOA and they sent a letter to him and his landlord basically stating that if he has any more complaints within the next 15 days then he could be subject to up to $2000 in fines. Needless to say he's a bit salty. As I was leaving out on Saturday, he was walking through the parking lot and him and his friend were staring at me, and didn't even speak. But at this point, I had to do what I had to do. No one else in the neighborhood was willing to step up and saying anything about him and his music so hopefully this is the end, but we will see what will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland