U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,486,197 times
Default PG County considering a "gun offenders" registry

Plagued by gun crime, Pr. George’s considers making offenders register - The Washington Post

These liberal idiots are unfit for office. Here's an idea for reducing gun crime: throw any murderer into prison for life, attempted murder for 50 years, and so on and so forth. Get the pieces of **** off the street and eventually you won't have any more pieces of **** on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM

50 posts, read 29,063 times
In the meantime, it is up to us to provide self esteem and other services for these pieces of ****. That's why I like living on the other side of the River in Virginia, where we and Texas compete to keep the seat on Ole Sparky warm for such scum.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM

312 posts, read 185,551 times
Yet another way this county (and state for that matter) has found to squander away more of our tax dollars. I read the article and still fail to understand what sort of positive impact this registry will have on overall gun crime. Unless Iím mistaken convicted felons arenít supposed to be in possession of a firearm in the first place. I would imagine that having their name on some registry isnít going to be much of a deterrent. Especially since most criminals do not obtain their guns legally anyway. You know why I donít commit armed robbery? Itís mainly because I donít want to spend time in prison. If prison doesnít deter these guys, what is a registry going to do?

Nowhere in the article did I see the part where it said this registry was responsible for reducing the number of gun related homicides in the municipalities where it is being used. Instead weíre fed statistics like ďIn the District, which launched its registry in December 2009, only nine of the 1,148 offenders have been arrested again on gun counts, although others may have been accused of different of­fensesĒ. Or statements like, ďIn Baltimore, which began its registry in 2008, fewer than 5 percent of the 1,669 gun offenders whose names have been on the registry have been arrested on new gun charges, and just 25 percent have been arrested on any new chargesĒ. The fact that the article does not report any statistic in which the overall gun related homicide numbers in these cities were drastically reduced should clue folks in that this registry probably wonít amount to much.

I wish these politicians would realize that these criminals DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR LAWS! Thatís what makes them criminals (especially the violent gun-toting variety). If criminals donít care about laws, why continue to draft more laws? I would rather see the authorities enforce the gun laws that are already on the books. And while weíre at it, letís also try mixing in some harsher penalties.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,486,197 times
I've often wondered why we don't have murderer registries of all things.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM

537 posts, read 398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
I read the article and still fail to understand what sort of positive impact this registry will have on overall gun crime.
Do they think shaming criminals really makes a difference? They're criminals. They don't care.

The only thing I can see this doing is messing up the lives of people who are arrested on BS gun charges, like stopping to get gas going from the range to their house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Unless Iím mistaken convicted felons arenít supposed to be in possession of a firearm in the first place.
You're not mistaken.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM

442 posts, read 395,360 times
My two cents on how to positively change crime rates:

1. Teach parents how to raise their children -
2. Let law abiding citizens who wish to, take a yearly gun safety course, and allow them to carry
3. Stop sticking criminals back on the streets, if you don't have room in the jails, figure something else out! House arrest maybe... zap them if they leave haha.
4. Oh and for us to stop dragging standards through the mud... the modern vibe that everyone is good, everything is okay, and no societal standards isn't helping at all... and neither is criticizing the individuals who do want to raise their kids right... who do want the right to carry... who do hold themselves, and their families to higher standards and holds them accountable.

I could probably go on... but I won't.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM

300 posts, read 275,035 times
Quote:
ďSchemes like this are basically a burden on taxpayers, and in the end they achieve nothing,Ē
this

Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM

503 posts, read 361,095 times
I wonder under what authority PG County can do this.

The state preempts all laws regarding firearms away from the counties and there is definitely no state law that authorizes this.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:09 PM

7,307 posts, read 4,816,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
My two cents on how to positively change crime rates:

1. Teach parents how to raise their children -
2. Let law abiding citizens who wish to, take a yearly gun safety course, and allow them to carry
3. Stop sticking criminals back on the streets, if you don't have room in the jails, figure something else out! House arrest maybe... zap them if they leave haha.
4. Oh and for us to stop dragging standards through the mud... the modern vibe that everyone is good, everything is okay, and no societal standards isn't helping at all... and neither is criticizing the individuals who do want to raise their kids right... who do want the right to carry... who do hold themselves, and their families to higher standards and holds them accountable.

I could probably go on... but I won't.
Unfortunately that would require people actually wanting to be parents.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 AM

442 posts, read 395,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Unfortunately that would require people actually wanting to be parents.
Well at least I'm not completely alone in this world... ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland