U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,541 times

Advertisements

Our family is from Seattle and we will be moving to MD by the end of the year for my husband's job in Suitland. So far, Lusby is the only area that we can afford (under $400 for a brand new 4-br house!). Is the commute that hard like an hour to 2 depending on traffic? How about after rush hour?

We are also considering schools for our 4 & 2 yr-olds and of course safe areas.

We are going this weekend in MD to check it out. Any suggestions on which part of Calvert County too look at ???

Please help!!! Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 05:11 AM

2,171 posts, read 2,943,898 times
The commute is going to be a bit rough. I drive into DC from northern Calvert. Takes about 45 minutes. But I'm leaving home at 4 am, so the traffic (yes there is some traffic at that time) isn't really too bad. I might suggest looking a bit further north in Calvert. I know it's expensive in the DC area, but at least give it a look. The schools in Calvert are quite good (my daughter will be graduating from Northern High School this year). The county has a low crime rate, and there's plenty of outdoor activities. Retail isn't that great, but Annapolis has plenty of good retail stores, though that is a bit of a haul from Lusby.

I take it your husband will be working in the Suitland Federal Center. Tell him that Suitland is kind of rough. I use to live near there, and the crime was bad. If he doesn't wander off the beaten path it shouldn't be a problem.

The main problem he may face with the commute (besides the ever increasing volume of traffic) is that there's really only one main road in and out of Calvert going towards DC - RT 4 which eventually becomes Pennsylvania Avenue. I think a few test runs will give him a better feel for the time frame, but an hour from Lusby to Suitland might be optimistic. Once he gets more familiar with the area he should be able to find some back road ways around major delays(accidents and such). Of curse the DC area nealy becomes a parking lot if there's snow or a heavy rain. I guess that's just life in the big city.

Good luck to your husband on his new job and to the whole family on the move. I think you'll like the Southern Maryland area.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,544,594 times
I grew up in Suitland (actually Morningside, which is next to Suitland) till I was about 12 - then my family moved to Calvert County back when it was still a suburb of Upper Malboro. Suitland was really bad when I lived there 20 some years ago - it has only gotten worse. EVERYONE I grew up with in that area now lives in Southern MD.

Alot has changed since then (20 years ago), but a few things remain constant:

-Suitland is still next to Southeast DC and the crime rate there is off the charts. However, if your husband works in the Federal Center, he'll probably eat in the Cafateria there.....if he ventures out, have him try the Jiffy's subs that is at the end of Suitland road where it meets the front gate to Andrews AFB. That place has been amazing for years. There is a McDonalds there as well.

-Calvert County remains one of the best places to live in Southern Maryland. Schools, crime, quality of people....excellent spot. To be honest, Lusby is a bit shady. My sister lived there a few years back and it is far away and shady - also too far to commute for a long period of time. Calvert is sooooooooooooo much better, stay in Calvert for sure. Note that while Calvert has alot of pricey areas (Owings, 20736 and Dunkirk 20754), you can find nice homes in these areas as well:

20613 (Brandywine) <--not Calvert, St. Mary's or Charle's County I believe
20714 (North Beach)
20639 (Huntingtown)
20732 (Chesapeake Beach)
20758 (Friendship)
20689 (Sunderland)

I live in San Diego nowadays, but I have family that live in each of the areas above and all of them are pretty nice.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:45 AM

6 posts, read 40,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I grew up in Suitland (actually Morningside, which is next to Suitland) till I was about 12 - then my family moved to Calvert County back when it was still a suburb of Upper Malboro. Suitland was really bad when I lived there 20 some years ago - it has only gotten worse. EVERYONE I grew up with in that area now lives in Southern MD.

Alot has changed since then (20 years ago), but a few things remain constant:

-Suitland is still next to Southeast DC and the crime rate there is off the charts. However, if your husband works in the Federal Center, he'll probably eat in the Cafateria there.....if he ventures out, have him try the Jiffy's subs that is at the end of Suitland road where it meets the front gate to Andrews AFB. That place has been amazing for years. There is a McDonalds there as well.

-Calvert County remains one of the best places to live in Southern Maryland. Schools, crime, quality of people....excellent spot. To be honest, Lusby is a bit shady. My sister lived there a few years back and it is far away and shady - also too far to commute for a long period of time. Calvert is sooooooooooooo much better, stay in Calvert for sure. Note that while Calvert has alot of pricey areas (Owings, 20736 and Dunkirk 20754), you can find nice homes in these areas as well:

20613 (Brandywine) <--not Calvert, St. Mary's or Charle's County I believe
20714 (North Beach)
20639 (Huntingtown)
20732 (Chesapeake Beach)
20758 (Friendship)
20689 (Sunderland)

I live in San Diego nowadays, but I have family that live in each of the areas above and all of them are pretty nice.
I have to agree that Suitland, Temple Hills, Oxon Hill, MD areas are very dangerous and not like they use to be some 20+ years ago. I am getting ready to move to St. Mary's County at the end of next month because of the high crime that has hit Prince George's County MD within the last 6 years or more.

If I may suggest, try reviewing some of the commuter buses that take a commuter to and from their job site. Commuting back and forth into DC will kill me if I had to drive every day, so, I am taking one of the Keller or Dillon shuttle bus service that will drop me off in front of my job site.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:07 PM

17 posts, read 32,774 times
Red face Moving to S. Maryland for job transfer to Pax River NAS

My husband and I are moving our family from The Dallas, TX (native Texans) area to S. Maryland. He will be working at Pax River NAS. We have 2 small children ages 1 and 4. We will be there at least 4 years. My husband will work incredibly long days. Since our daughter will begin her schooling in Maryland, where are the best schools and counties to live in that will be close to Pax River? Looking for a home/townhome in the 250,000-300,000 range? Is this price range even possible in Maryland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland