Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd like to think that 'College Park' was filled with more liberal, live-and-let-live, and tolerant people, who are okay with a little flesh from woman (in the dark) and not feel some inherent need to sexually assault them.

Maybe I've misjudged the people of College Park, Maryland, to be more like Europe, and less like a repressive Islamic society though.
College Park isn't the safest. It has more to do with the surrounding parts than the actual town itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM

354 posts, read 785,253 times
Quote:
I'd like to think that 'College Park' was filled with more liberal, live-and-let-live, and tolerant people, who are okay with a little flesh from woman (in the dark) and not feel some inherent need to sexually assault them.
the group that took the clothes and grabbed ass was more than likely drunk too themselves, so im sure they were lacking good judgement. they probably thought it was all fun and games.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
It's more than just the safety of an area and its residents. Let's say those girls were drunk. Who's to say that the people who approached them, groped one and took their belongings were not drunk? Were they students? Who knows at this point? Some of the perpetrators of bad consequences can be living right there on campus or in off-campus housing. Recent incidents on college campuses or in off-campus housing, involving students, have been highlighted in the news.

Both sides didn't exercise the best of judgment in this incident. The groping took it to another, disgusting level. That's not some harmless or ignorant prank.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
the group that took the clothes and grabbed ass was more than likely drunk too themselves, so im sure they were lacking good judgement. they probably thought it was all fun and games.
I didn't read your post before I made my own comment below. I agree, although these days, a grab-ass is not considered harmless, and such an action is stupid at best.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
Quote:

Maybe I've misjudged the people of College Park, Maryland, to be more like Europe, and less like a repressive Islamic society though.
To me, their stupidity has little to do with the fact that they were in their undies. First, they got drunk, fine. Then they went in their inebriated state to a semi-isolated place, at midnight, where they would not be completely aware of their surroundings or if something dangerous was about to happen. Then, they put themselves at a distance from their purses and belongings because they felt the urge to take a dip in the fountain. Just one of these actions would get a smack and a "How could you be so careless/stupid?" from my own mother, and if this happened to my own daughter, I would tell her to thank God that nothing WORSE happened. Also, if this was a group of guys, I don't think anyone would hesitate to call out how stupid they are. I'm all for equality here.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Ah this is the **** I won't miss once I graduate.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:

You forget the about the low level of immaturity college kids tend to have. Being older, there are a lot of things that I did and things I saw others do that were just plain dumb and I'm glad I didn't face the negative consequences. When you have a bunch of 17 - 24 year olds all within one square mile of each other, things tend to go wrong sometimes. Even with the robberies and assaults. Local criminals know that 18 year olds from Cumberland Maryland or Boise Idaho may not be as alert as someone from NYC or Philly. Easy prey unfortunately.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,676 times
Quote:
What does Europe or Islam have to do with a group of inebriated half naked students who took a dip in a public fountain in the middle of the night? College Park is a city not a city like NY or Phili, but still considered a city bordered by a lot of other cities/towns with a lot of people. It isn't Fallujah but it also isn't Mayberry. The campus is wide open an accessible to anybody who wanders through. With 50k+ students more than many populations of one stoplight, flyover towns, stuff happens. Some stuff is random and you can't do anything about it. Other times use common sense. If you drink, don't strip down. If you drink and strip down, don't take a dip in a public fountain mistaking your tequila soaked midnight water ballet as a re-enactment of La Dolce Vita. Students doing stupid sh*t on that campus followed by a series of unfortunate events is nothing new. It happened when I was there. It's happening now. It will happen in the future. It's inevitable. Living behind frat row for a couple years stupid sh*t was a weekly occurrence that never made the news.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
The posts so far on this thread are exceedingly ignorant of Maryland, College Park, and college life in general. You guys did go to college, right? Kids go for a dip in the fountain ALL THE TIME (at night I mean), both guys and girls. It just happened to be that on this night, something bad happened and it was reported to the police (the vast majority of the time these types of incidents aren't reported).

As for the inappropriate conduct, it's not the victim's fault, ever, regardless of the circumstances.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
UMCP is one of the most dangerous campuses in America.
False, stupid, and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
it's in a filthy hellhole of an area.
Sure, CP could be much better than it is, but once again you prove yourself to be ignorant and prejudiced. Hopefully in ten years, it'll be the top-ten college town that Loh is hoping to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland