Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

A positive article in the Washington Post about Prince George's County?

A very interesting article in the Post I found today. It speaks on the growing young white professional population in PG during the last few years. Hyattsville was the focus.

Quote:
For the first time in more than four decades, recent census estimates show, the number of whites in Prince George’s is on the upswing. Most are young families, an analysis by The Washington Post finds.
The numbers of Asians and Hispanics are up as well, while African American numbers have declined slightly. But the unexpected rise in white residents is a sharp departure from patterns in place since the 1970s — when whites began to leave as middle-class blacks moved in, turning Prince George’s into one of the most affluent majority-black counties in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
I read this. The focus on Hyattsville (with a minor focus on Greenbelt) was interesting, although I don't think the idea of white families living in Hyattsville is new or all that unusual. It will be even more interesting to see what the future holds in terms of population growth and shifting in the county. For instance, will the young families stay? Will they migrate to or trade up in Hyattsville or other parts of the county?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I grew up in Prince George's County. So, these kinds of changes are good to hear about.

Maybe this is the beginning of a long period of gentrification of the county inside the beltway.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I read this. The focus on Hyattsville (with a minor focus on Greenbelt) was interesting, although I don't think the idea of white families living in Hyattsville is new or all that unusual. It will be even more interesting to see what the future holds in terms of population growth and shifting in the county. For instance, will the young families stay? Will they migrate to or trade up in Hyattsville or other parts of the county?

I think as long as the price-point in PG presents a great deal to those families, I think they will stay. If prices start to rise without much development or improvements in schools, you may seem them migrate to Howard or Montgomery Counties. Like the article said, more young families are drawn to more urban walkable areas. That may be another factor as well that prevents them from moving elsewhere. But I think as long as the price point stays low relative to the rest of the area, there will be some stability.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I'm actually one of those white people who finds PG Country extremely attractive. Just the way the county is setup appeals to me. Granted I didn't see everywhere in PG. I mostly explored northern PG and all the way out to Laurel. From what I saw, it all looked good to me.

When I drove around MoCo and Fairfax Counties...they just didn't feel like the kind of place I'd want to live in. For one, way too expensive, and number two, they just had a very strong modern suburbia like feel.

PG County just had better bones structure (in my opinion, I'm sure many would disagree with me). I was actually thinking that it's too bad that it wasn't PG with those types of homes and neighborhood feels with the better schools. It always seems to be the most car-oriented, unwalkable, sterile environments with the better school districts. Granted MoCo seemed a lot better than Fairfax, but I just liked the setup of PG the best.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I agree Hyattsville has always had it's core of white families there. One thing that I was disappointed in, which we have talked about on here, is the change in population in the southern part of the county. Not only are there more white families moving to Fort Washington, but also to places like Oxon Hill and Forest Heights. I don't think there is any coincidence, there are some good deals in this county. I think the changing of the population is a good thing. A more balanced population will make this county more attractive. I honestly believe the county should step away from the "wealthiest black majority" moniker and simply just embrace being diverse.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
This article really eludes to the need to develop more urban type settings. If they start doing that more, the area can really flourish. Having walkable communities near Metro is one of the things that catapulted Arlington. No reason why PG can't do the same with smart planning.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I heard about plans to make more town center developments in various places in the county.

Does anyone have updates on these?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A positive article in the Washington Post about Prince George's County?

A very interesting article in the Post I found today. It speaks on the growing young white professional population in PG during the last few years. Hyattsville was the focus.
Dag nabbit Adelphi, I was just about to post this one. Thanks Buddy !!!!!....................................J/K. Yeah it is a positive article and echos what PGT had said about the Fort Washington area. It makes sense though, as the cost of living in this area continues to explode people are looking for reasonable avenues to establish themselves in the area.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I heard about plans to make more town center developments in various places in the county.

Does anyone have updates on these?

There is a lot of development going on. To get an update on the status I would recommend going to the PG Planning Board site (www.pgplanning.org) and searching there database.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland