Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 14,367 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are looking for the ideal place to settle and raise our two little girls.

We've lived in California for many years now and are sick of it. I'm originally from the East Coast, and never felt at home in California. One of our chief complaints is the people. We have met some fine people in Cali, of course, but in general, people don't seem to be very grounded, and are too freaky for my tastes. I don't mean to turn this into a California-bashing thread, however. Suffice it to say, California is not for us, and we can't imagine raising our daughters as Californians.

We can afford around 2 million dollars or perhaps a bit more to buy a house. My wife is a SAHM, and I work out of home, so we could live anywhere in the US.

So, for $2 mil housing budget, on an upper-middle class income, is Bethesda a Shangri-la for raising a family? We're looking for a Norman Rockwell experience. We're looking for a place where people dress nicely and have self-respect, and don't drop the F-bomb every other sentence.

Finally, if not Bethesda, then where would YOU relocate to if you had two small children, and wanted to raise them in an idyllic tree-shaded suburb within easy reach to big city amenities? -- (all on a $2 million dollar housing budget.)

I've posted a similar question on the Connecticut and Dallas boards. I'm looking at Greenwich CT and Highland Park, TX as other possible candidates. If you have informed opinions about Bethesda vs. Greenwich vs Highland Park, I'd love to hear them too.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harlock View Post
So, for $2 mil housing budget, on an upper-middle class income, is Bethesda a Shangri-la for raising a family? We're looking for a Norman Rockwell experience. We're looking for a place where people dress nicely and have self-respect, and don't drop the F-bomb every other sentence.

Finally, if not Bethesda, then where would YOU relocate to if you had two small children, and wanted to raise them in an idyllic tree-shaded suburb within easy reach to big city amenities? -- (all on a $2 million dollar housing budget.)
Just my opinion, but absolutely not Bethesda. People there are way too materialistic, and hungry for money and power.

If you are willing to be within a couple hours' drive of Washington DC, then I recommend Charlottesville, Virginia. I think that if you want to get away from bad manners like the F-bomb, you have to get away from big cities. Thus, I don't think Greenwich is likely to be your ideal place either.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-17-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times
I grew up in Bethesda. Still relatively young (low30s) and in the county - midcounty.

My problem with Bethesda is that lack of economic and cultural diversity. There is reasonable ETHNIC AND NATIONAL diversity sure, but similar worldviews and power cocktail party circuit. It's not that they are bad people, I find Bethesda friendly and sociable. It's just that FOR ME, if my kids grew up they'd be in a bubble where high school sophomores driving BMWs, taking summer vacations to Ireland every year, or being in 5 AP classes is the social norm.

I'd just prefer a better approximation of life's spectrums. Obviously I wouldn't raise my kids in the hood, but as far as DC area I find somewhere like rockville or Gaithersburg better assuming the schools were ok (rm, qo).

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times
Born and raised in an affluent part of Southern California. I moved to DC and never looked back. I think this is a wonderful place to live and to raise a family. Besides the weather, the only thing CA does better than DC is Mexican food. I love living here and have no plans to go back.

I know this will come off as stereotypical, but most people I meet from the Bethesda/Chevy Chase are either extremely Type A, standoffish, or snooty - sometimes all of the above. The area is extremely affluent and very materialistic as far as I'm concerned. I think you need to look elsewhere if "grounded" is what you're looking for.

That being said, on a $2m budget, you can pretty much have your pick of any neighborhood in the DC area. If proximity to central DC is important to you, you might want to consider Arlington, VA. Lyon Village is a gorgeous neighborhood straight out of Ozzie and Harriet, yet it's walking distance to the metro and the bustling Ballston-Rosslyn corridor. $2m will get you a nice house there, and the schools in Arlington are top-notch.

Another option is Del Ray in Alexandria VA. Again, it has a small-town feel but has easy access to the District. I don't think Alexandria schools are as good, so you may need to consider private schools, but I believe houses are substantially cheaper. Also nearby is an Arlington area called Arlington Ridge/Aurora Highlands, some of which is walkable to the Crystal City metro.

Old Town Alexandria is another option. It has colonial charm that's unmatched. Some of the surrounding suburbs off Route 7 and Janneys Lane are gorgeous. I don't know how zoning works, but I think nearby TC Williams High School is one of the best in the area.

Don't rule out the District. You might find what you are looking for in Upper Northwest (American University Park, Spring Valley, Chevy Chase DC). There are some excellent public schools up there.

You could also get what you want in Maryland, but you'll be further away from the city (like in Frederick), and then you won't have easy access to the rich amenities of the District, and that would be a shame.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
if youre white then its probably great

Old 04-18-2014, 01:07 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harlock View Post
We can afford around 2 million dollars or perhaps a bit more to buy a house. My wife is a SAHM, and I work out of home, so we could live anywhere in the US.

Bethesda is very good. So are McLean, Potomac and Great Falls - the latter 2 if you are especially willing to live a little farther out from the city. You will get considerably more square foot space for $2 million (basically a McMansion).

Also, why not consider Northwest Washington, D.C. since you seem to prefer living in the city? Georgetown is great.

Outside of the Washington, D.C. area, I have a preference for some of the New Jersey suburbs of New York City and Connecticut.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
If you're looking for more "idyllic"....i'd point your car towards Potomac, MD. Not far from Bethesda location-wise......and nice big houses on big wooded secluded lots is the norm.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:07 PM

249 posts, read 399,393 times
Yep and it's very vanilla.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
I would pick either River Falls or Potomac Falls in Potomac, MD.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 AM

47 posts, read 146,928 times
I would pick pretty much any other area of the country. For all of the reasons listed above, and the fact that the DC area, including Bethesda is NOT a "Norman Rockwell experience". It just isn't. I have a friend that grew up in CT, she describes it as "Pleasantville"...but I don't know if things have changed since she was a kid. Really anywhere but Bethesda/DC area. If for some reason you decide DC is the place to be, I'd go with Loudon County, VA. Ashburn comes to mind.
What about some of the nicer suburbs of Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland