Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 PM

13 posts, read 69,277 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Maryland by end of November and not knowing what areas/cities would be safe and affordable. My husband works at Andrews AFB and he is Govt Employee so we do not get any housing allowance. We have no small children so schools are not an issue,,2 professional adults,,prefer to buy but will rent at first with a short term lease until we get settled to buy, any info would be appreciated,,we have 1 - 15 yr old cat that eats and sleeps. We prefer a townhouse or single family to lease at the moment under 1600.00 per month. I dont like apts/condos. Willing to commute 30-35 min. to Andrews. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 AM

74 posts, read 379,171 times
This might be obvious, but you probably want to go south or east. North and west of Andrews and you are in the very unsavory/scary parts of PG (Prince Georges) County. You can hopskotch over those parts of DC and get into the nicer parts of DC (Northwest) but that area is rather pricey. Things get more affordable away from the city center, so South and East may be your best bet.

I must add, renting a little bit before buying in a new area is a really good idea. Have your husband ask around at work too about where his coworkers live, they may have really good ideas for your specific situation. Have him ask more than one person--different people have different tastes.

Also I sent you a PM with a Realtor recommendation if you are interested.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 PM

26 posts, read 110,584 times
Don't scare the woman half to death! There are places close to andrews afb that are safe and afforable. I would look at Upper Marlboro, Mitchellville, Waldorf, and Washington D.C. North East in capital hill.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
I live in Upper Marlboro Pg county and i love it here. Pg county have very nice areas such as Upper Marlboro,Bowie,Michellville,brandywine,Fort Washington which will have the National harbor which will be open 2008. Dc is alot scarier then Pg county. You have a higher chance of getting rob,shot or rape in Dc then Pg county. Majority of the folks who work at AFB live in Pg county.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM

41 posts, read 191,577 times
Upper Marlboro is a good place. If you want a more 'quiet' setting and something more close knit you might want to look into Calvert County.....

Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 PM

68 posts, read 213,669 times
Red face Catonsville,md.

How's it going today. I lived in the Catonsville area almost my entire life, I am now 37. I am in the process of transfering with my job so I'm moving my family to Merrill,Wisconsin. Which means that my house is up for sale it can be viewed at VisualTour it's a townhouse on a quiet one way street. Catonsville is a very nice neighberhood with a lot to do and is very close to a lot of attractions. If you have any questions regarding the house or Catonsville in general feel free to ask.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 PM

41 posts, read 191,577 times
movingto Wisconsin huh I am moving From WI to MD...Merrill is a small town and there really is nothing to do unless you love the outdoors. But good luck!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 PM

68 posts, read 213,669 times
[quote=Alexis03;1661151]movingto Wisconsin huh I am moving From WI to MD...Merrill is a small town and there really is nothing to do unless you love the outdoors. But good luck![/quo
Are you in the market for a good house in a nice neighborhood let me know I have about a month left before I have to leave so I'm very motivated.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,964 times
If you haven't found a place yet..i have a single family home for sale or rent..my husband worked on andrews for 4 years..communte is 30 min or less..Let me know if you want more info...
cmbwga@hotmail.com

Christy

Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,322 times
Upper Marlboro is not bad, about 10 minutes from the base I think.

Dunkirk, Owings are in Calvert County. More rural I would say, but some of the houses are quite nice.

Chesapeake Beach / North Beach are probably the outside of your commute (i.e. 25-30 minutes) but you might be able to get a place on the waters of the Bay for the price you are willing to pay.

Are you looking for peaceful / scenic, or convenient suburban, or happening big city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland