Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,551,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
The university is focused on image because it affects their bottom line. You would be crazy to think that the two are mutually exclusive. Just because a certain amount of students decide to protest this establishment, doesn't mean they should react. Do you know how many student protest goes on on a college campus? The university could never react to every last one of them. And as far as the food court not trying to maximize profit, watch this video and look at what the representative of the food court states. If money wasn't an issue she wouldn't talk about how profitable the business is. To think that the food court wouldn't try to maximize profit is just ridiculous to say. If that was the case then they wouldn't need big name business like Chick Fil-A or Taco Bell.

Petition to remove Chick-fil-A at University of Maryland - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

im not saying revenue is irrelevant, just that its not the ONLY consideration. As for image effecting bottom line, that may be true, but its not relevant to my point - which is that if CFA, despite being the best source of rental revenue per sq ft, impinges on the Univ image, the Univ may decide to toss them out. As for many protests being ineffective, of course thats true. This one may well be. I assume its organizers will do their best to make it larger and more effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,975,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
im not saying revenue is irrelevant, just that its not the ONLY consideration. As for image effecting bottom line, that may be true, but its not relevant to my point - which is that if CFA, despite being the best source of rental revenue per sq ft, impinges on the Univ image, the Univ may decide to toss them out. As for many protests being ineffective, of course thats true. This one may well be. I assume its organizers will do their best to make it larger and more effective.
It's not the only consideration, IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:30 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,098,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
The person that made the original comment, you supported his point by pointing out that Kenya, according you and your sources, is 78% Christian. If you didn't agree with that point then why would you go out of your way to point out that it is a predominantly Christian nation, when I wasn't even talking to you? No you weren't the person that brought it up, by you were clearly defending their point which is why I made the response that I did. If you are focused on who I am addressing than what I am addressing then you must not have much of an argument against what I stated and just looking for something to argue about.

Again I ask you what is your proof that he is bigoted and discriminatory when he still hires and serves gay people? There is a difference between hating gays and just disagreeing with them. In what way are the things Kenya do to gays similar to what Dan Cathy does? Do you have any proof that he has fired someone for being gay? Do you have any proof that he refused to serve someone for being gay? I find it funny that I keep asking you the same question over and over again, and rather than addressing the question you try to find something unrelated to pick apart about my argument.

Next time, answer the question instead of creating new arguments. Thank you.
Wrong.

Go back and re-read the thread and you will realize that I mentioned Kenya was 78% Christian because you alluded that Kenya was oppressive Christian nation.

However, that was a nice attempt to obfuscate my question.

Why are you supporting and defending a bigoted homophobe like Cathy unless you agree with him?

If anyone feels that homosexuality is wrong, then you can make the individual decision to not engage in homosexual acts, like most of us have. However, if others feel the attraction to do so, then who are you or anyone else to criticize, judge, or condemn them for their decision. If their decision is ultimately the "wrong" one, then the consequences will be theirs and theirs alone to deal with.

That's what I love about America.....freedom of choice, including "right or wrong".

Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 PM

304 posts, read 713,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wrong.

Go back and re-read the thread and you will realize that I mentioned Kenya was 78% Christian because you alluded that Kenya was oppressive Christian nation.

Why are you supporting and defending a bigoted homophobe like Cathy unless you agree with him?

If anyone feels that homosexuality is wrong, then you can make the individual decision to not engage in homosexual acts, like most of us have. However, if others feel the attraction to do so, then who are you or anyone else to criticize, judge, or condemn them for their decision. If their decision is ultimately the "wrong" one, then the consequences will be theirs and theirs alone to deal with.

That's what I love about America.....freedom of choice, including "right or wrong".
I was totally with you, until you started to strongly insinuate that the act of being heterosexual or homosexual, is "a choice." I shake my head at anyone who's naive enough to believe that. No one "chooses" to live a heterosexual lifestyle and the vast majority of homosexual, don't "choose" to be attracted to the same sex. There's many reasons why thinking otherwise would be totally asinine, but the biggest would have to be what we're experiencing on this undercover thread of bigotry: why would someone choose to live their lives facing oppression, judgement, hate, and feeling like they are inferior?? Homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice. I'll never understand how that came into popular opinion, especially considering how many comprehensive studies have been done to completely diffuse that notion. The vast majority of homosexuals will tell you they knew they liked the same sex, before they were seven years of age. So if anyone is suggesting that a small child made the conscientious decision to be gay, before they even fully understood sex or the laws of attraction, then there's nothing else to say.

Moving on to pgtitan... I do like plink's question to you: Why do you seem so butt hurt in regards to how people are negatively reacting to Chick-Fil-A's statements, and why are you supporting and defending a bigoted homophobe like Cathy unless you agree with him? You keep posting all of these links and trying to find ways to reinterpret comments/actions that are clear as day. That hate monger and the company he works for, has donated MILLIONS of dollars to anti-gay hate groups... FACT! He has donated millions to groups that claim they can make turn a gay person hetero, through prayer (Pray Away the Gay)... FACT! There's not too many ways to misinterpret what that means. Again, this isn't someone simply stating the just personally believe in traditional marriage. The millions of dollars to hate groups and organizations who are against homosexuals, speaks volumes.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wrong.

I never pointed out that it was a Christian nation, you alluded to the fact that it is 78% Christian because you thought I was attempting to provide a Christian oppressive nation. My point wasn't to do that, it was simply to provide a nation, regardless of the religious affiliation, that believes being homosexual should be punishable. I don't know what the foundation of Kenya's laws, but I'm certain that it was not Christian even if they claim they are. There isn't anything Biblical about people punishing other people for sin, unless of course it had some adverse affect on others. In other words, America could be a lot worse compared to what stan4 was stating it to be.

Your mother and father probably have disagreed with things you have done too, but doesn't mean they are bigoted, as you put it. If they believe something is wrong that is their opinion, you as an adult ultimately have the decision to do what you want. But with that said, you can't have it both ways. You can't say this man is a bigot for providing jobs to gays and serving food to them (which at times has been free, depending on the cause). If someone has a prejudice against a group of people, they usually don't help them. How many racist white people do you think would hire or serve black people? How many anti-semis would serve Jewish people or even hire them? What actions have given you an indication that he is bigoted towards gays? Maybe his issue is with what they do and not necessarily the people? If I want a ban or smoking does that mean I hate people that smoke?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
I was totally with you, until you started to strongly insinuate that the act of being heterosexual or homosexual, is "a choice." I shake my head at anyone who's naive enough to believe that. No one "chooses" to live a heterosexual lifestyle and the vast majority of homosexual, don't "choose" to be attracted to the same sex. There's many reasons why thinking otherwise would be totally asinine, but the biggest would have to be what we're experiencing on this undercover thread of bigotry: why would someone choose to live their lives facing oppression, judgement, hate, and feeling like they are inferior?? Homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice. I'll never understand how that came into popular opinion, especially considering how many comprehensive studies have been done to completely diffuse that notion. The vast majority of homosexuals will tell you they knew they liked the same sex, before they were seven years of age. So if anyone is suggesting that a small child made the conscientious decision to be gay, before they even fully understood sex or the laws of attraction, then there's nothing else to say.
Those studies aren't conclusive. Earlier in this thread I posted a link to the American Pediatric Association studies that concluded that there is no evidence that homosexuality is genetically inclined. We simply cannot draw that level of conclusion. There are too many factors that lie on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
Moving on to pgtitan... I do like plink's question to you: Why do you seem so butt hurt in regards to how people are negatively reacting to Chick-Fil-A's statements, and why are you supporting and defending a bigoted homophobe like Cathy unless you agree with him? You keep posting all of these links and trying to find ways to reinterpret comments/actions that are clear as day. That hate monger and the company he works for, has donated MILLIONS of dollars to anti-gay hate groups... FACT! He has donated millions to groups that claim they can make turn a gay person hetero, through prayer (Pray Away the Gay)... FACT! There's not too many ways to misinterpret what that means. Again, this isn't someone simply stating the just personally believe in traditional marriage. The millions of dollars to hate groups and organizations who are against homosexuals, speaks volumes.
Of course I agree with his stance. I've never denied that, but that isn't even the point of this thread. I honestly wanted to discuss how fruitful it was for these individuals to try to protest a business that was clearly popular amongst it's peers and why they just don't stop spending their money there.

I think a point can be equally made though, why you have decided to come on this thread to defend these individuals without have a completely understanding of this situation and belittling people on here for disagreeing with you. Look everything that you say out of your mouth (or off of your computer) is based on what the media has taught you. When has the media become the end all be all for truth. YOu say they are a hate group but yet they still hire and serve gays. You claimed they had these various lawsuits against them, but then you never came back to show me, where any of these lawsuits was successful. You are quick to acknowledge how they are bigoted and hateful, yet their opponents are the ones trying to shoot them and vandalize their buildings.

Then you keep calling the groups they support anti-gay. Who even said gay marriage was right? What if they simply disagree with that idea, is that wrong? Who said they have to support that? I think the problem with this, is people believe that you should believe what they do and if you don't they label you as a hater. Then you call these groups hate groups, meanwhile you have supporters of gay marriage going to FRC headquarters with Chick fil-A chicken sandwiches in his backpack trying to shoot people up or going to Chick fil-A's vandalizing the building. So who is showing the hate? Has FRC shot any gays? Has Chick fil-A shot any gays?

Look we as individuals have our own ideas of what is true. Plain and simple, what I believe doesn't necessarily match what you believe to be true. If someone doesn't think gay marriage is right, then you should look beyond what they believe, and see why these believe what they do. The truth is Chick fil-A has had this view before gay became the 'in' thing, and even while being gay used to be considered a mental illness. The only thing that has changed is our world, our country and what we now consider to be right. If you believe he is wrong for having his opinion I understand and respect your view, but when you call someone a bigot for just having an opinion and having certain principles to stand on, I have a problem with that. Should he change his views on this topic, just because you may have?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM

10,193 posts, read 15,902,680 times
Actually most College Park students are apolitical and NOT the protesting type. Look, if there were hardly any protests about the Iraq War you think they will shut down Chick fil A??????

And besides that will never close. Chick fil A is a sponsor of the ACC. You think the University will lose some sponsorship for the basketball and football teams????? Get real here folks.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM

575 posts, read 553,758 times
What I don't understand is how people can sit here and say that gay marriage will ruin the institution of marriage when we've (straight folk) been doing that ourselves; 50% of marriages end in divorce and people are cheating on their spouses and yet some of us sit here and still preach that same old BS about tradition and core values; yet those people are the same ones getting caught w/ their pants down.

Seriously, I don't understand this? If you favor civil rights, how can you be against a person's right to marry?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM

14,184 posts, read 22,719,087 times
I buy a chicken sandwich because I'm hungry and it's good, not because I'm trying to make a political statement. I guess politicizing hurricanes wasn't enough.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,098,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
What I don't understand is how people can sit here and say that gay marriage will ruin the institution of marriage when we've (straight folk) been doing that ourselves; 50% of marriages end in divorce and people are cheating on their spouses and yet some of us sit here and still preach that same old BS about tradition and core values; yet those people are the same ones getting caught w/ their pants down.

Seriously, I don't understand this? If you favor civil rights, how can you be against a person's right to marry?
Preach on, brother/sister!

Gay marriage didn't ruin my marriage. That dishonor belongs to my cheating *ss ex-wife.

Maybe letting gays marry will actually help to lower that pathetic 50% divorce rate.

Yes, Cathy has a right to his opinion but he does not have the right to deny someone else their inalienable rights of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: