Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM

44 posts, read 93,319 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a job in Arlington, but can't afford a very nice house in that area. We were thinking about buying a new house in Fort Washington, MD. I'm not worried about the school disticts, etc... since I will have my son in preschool in Arlington and rent the house out in two years when we move. I am however worried about the commute since I'd like to keep it under 45 minutes. I think that I would take Indian Head - 495 - GW Parkway. I appreciate any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
I commute from FW into DC and find the commute to be pretty reasonable by DC standards. I spend a lot of time in Alexandria and find that it is an easy run across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to Old Town or National Airport.

I can drive from my house in FW to the Key Bridge in Rosslyn in about 30 minutes if there's no traffic, so I think a commute to Arlington would be doable, especially if your hours are at all flexible. That said, everybody's tolerance for commuting is different. There's really no substitute for getting up very early one morning and driving to Fort Washington so you can replicate your commute and see how long it takes in real life.

On the other hand, is it really worth the hassle of buying a house, moving, and then trying to rent out a property you own if you think you're going to move in two years?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM

44 posts, read 93,319 times
Thanks for all of the information!! To be honest, we're just sick of paying someone else's mortgage. In the past 4 years we've paid $90k towards our landlords mortgage. Not to mention you don't get much for your money renting. However, I do see your point about the hassle in it all. Something to think about for sure.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM

169 posts, read 299,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
There's really no substitute for getting up very early one morning and driving to Fort Washington so you can replicate your commute and see how long it takes in real life.

On the other hand, is it really worth the hassle of buying a house, moving, and then trying to rent out a property you own if you think you're going to move in two years?
Don't you mean to word that the other way around? If she drove to FW from Arlington during am rush hour she would be going against traffic. It's basically an easy drive since the only real commuter traffic would be night shift workers and those going to the base in IH.
Doing that same drive in the pm would simulate a return trip.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
Thanks for all of the information!! To be honest, we're just sick of paying someone else's mortgage. In the past 4 years we've paid $90k towards our landlords mortgage. Not to mention you don't get much for your money renting. However, I do see your point about the hassle in it all. Something to think about for sure.
I feel that way sometimes when I think about my rent too, then I remember I am not paying

closing costs when you buy (these are hefty)
taxes
maintenance and yard work
insurance
mortgage interest (which the tax deduction doesn't really help, unless you either make a ton of money or have a huge mortgage)
fees, real estate agent's cut when you sell
taking a risk with most of my savings

Seriously, sit down and calculate it out one day and you might realize you're not "losing" nearly as much money as you thought!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I feel that way sometimes when I think about my rent too, then I remember I am not paying

closing costs when you buy (these are hefty)
taxes
maintenance and yard work
insurance
mortgage interest (which the tax deduction doesn't really help, unless you either make a ton of money or have a huge mortgage)
fees, real estate agent's cut when you sell
taking a risk with most of my savings

Seriously, sit down and calculate it out one day and you might realize you're not "losing" nearly as much money as you thought!
If you owned the rental you could write almost %100 of the cost of that house off if you managed the property without the use of a realtor. Ever wonder why a lot of people have rental property?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
If you are really interested in the Fort Washington area but concerned about the schools you could always go the private school route when your child becomes school age. There are a lot of people that take that route. As for the commute, echoing others, depending on the time and day you can make it within an hour driving. You could also split the commute between the car and metro.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedisguise View Post
Don't you mean to word that the other way around? If she drove to FW from Arlington during am rush hour she would be going against traffic. It's basically an easy drive since the only real commuter traffic would be night shift workers and those going to the base in IH.
Doing that same drive in the pm would simulate a return trip.
I think you misunderstood him. I think he meant drive to FW and then try commuting from there to Arlington in the AM. That's how I read it anyways. They should also go the other way in the PML.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think you misunderstood him. I think he meant drive to FW and then try commuting from there to Arlington in the AM. That's how I read it anyways. They should also go the other way in the PML.

I don't always know what people mean on here and don't want the backlash in the case I may pretend to. I probably shouldn't have replied for that very reason. I should try to exercise that in the future but it is too fun to get involved.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
The total replacement of the (beltway) Woodrow Wilson Bridge a few years ago, with more lanes and capacity, has helped traffic flow tremendously. Before that for decades, the bridge was a continual major gridlocked bottleneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland