U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 PM

605 posts, read 492,703 times

Advertisements

I can't find any evidence that Maryland requires documented proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. You need a driver's license or MVA ID or the last 4 digits of your SSN. Similar ID or proof of residence may be required at the polls for some voters (not ones who have been registered and voting as long as I have, though. I don't think I've ever been asked for ID at the polls). The registration form does require you to state (and sign under penalty of perjury) that you are a US citizen, Maryland resident, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM

7,958 posts, read 5,392,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I can't find any evidence that Maryland requires documented proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. You need a driver's license or MVA ID or the last 4 digits of your SSN. Similar ID or proof of residence may be required at the polls for some voters (not ones who have been registered and voting as long as I have, though. I don't think I've ever been asked for ID at the polls). The registration form does require you to state (and sign under penalty of perjury) that you are a US citizen, Maryland resident, etc.
You are right. It doesn't make a lot of sense. It says on the form that you must be a US Citizen, but by only taking the last 4 of the SSN, there isn't room to check. Maybe they think the process for SSN or getting Driver's License is enough to prove one's citizenship, but there are definitely loopholes.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 AM

605 posts, read 492,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
You are right. It doesn't make a lot of sense. It says on the form that you must be a US Citizen, but by only taking the last 4 of the SSN, there isn't room to check. Maybe they think the process for SSN or getting Driver's License is enough to prove one's citizenship, but there are definitely loopholes.
I did some reading on this. The documentation is intended to prove residency and identity, not citizenship. They will basically take your word for it on citizenship, at least at point of registration.

Apparently the thinking is that proof of citizenship would present a greater barrier to legitimate voters than the size of any issues related to those willing to perjure themselves by saying they are citizens when they are not. There are also reviews of the rolls of registered voters done to cross-check these things. When Florida reviewed its rolls of registered voters, they found only one noncitizen on the rolls.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,163,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Again didn't disagree. I just think it's rare that someone would have a SSN, be a non citizen and be able to vote.
It would be incredibly rare; non-citizens can't vote. Isn't that what you are trying to do? (no)

Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Dems push affidavits instead of voter IDs - The Hill's Ballot Box

I like this plan. It's constitutional and does the exact same thing voter ID proponents say they want to do.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM

457 posts, read 432,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Dems push affidavits instead of voter IDs - The Hill's Ballot Box

I like this plan. It's constitutional and does the exact same thing voter ID proponents say they want to do.

I just really don't see how that would make a difference... Just bc bad penalties could be assessed... Doesn't mean anyone, after the fact, is going to be checking.

Why Not... When a person registers to vote, they can get their picture taken when they register and that be on file... And all the information provided with registration is confirmed prior to elections, maybe updated every so often.
Or if they are sending in their registration, they can also send in a recent picture of themselves. And when people go to vote, the folks that pull up their names, can have a photo along with their other information just to confirm?

Then that info is on file and the small percentage of people that don't have or need or want ID don't have to get one.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM

7,958 posts, read 5,392,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I just really don't see how that would make a difference... Just bc bad penalties could be assessed... Doesn't mean anyone, after the fact, is going to be checking.

Why Not... When a person registers to vote, they can get their picture taken when they register and that be on file... And all the information provided with registration is confirmed prior to elections, maybe updated every so often.
Or if they are sending in their registration, they can also send in a recent picture of themselves. And when people go to vote, the folks that pull up their names, can have a photo along with their other information just to confirm?

Then that info is on file and the small percentage of people that don't have or need or want ID don't have to get one.
I agree it isn't much different than what they already do.

I like your idea a lot though. It would make things easier but I think the number one complaint would be how much longer the process would be to register.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post

Not bad. But how do we know every single polling worker will be fair? What if a prejudiced person just says "well this photo doesn't really look like you, you can't vote." this person is a volunteer or a temporary worker who makes about $13\hr. do we really want to give that person this authority?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:25 PM

457 posts, read 432,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Not bad. But how do we know every single polling worker will be fair? What if a prejudiced person just says "well this photo doesn't really look like you, you can't vote." this person is a volunteer or a temporary worker who makes about $13\hr. do we really want to give that person this authority?
I mean....you could say that about anything though? Sometimes we have to trust people to be able to do their jobs correctly.... Make them sign something saying they are going t be honest. Maybe any denial needs a supervisors approval or second opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland