Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I did way back on page 1. Not sure how anyone could argue that the intent (and effect) of these laws is not identical to the poll tax. Shameful.
Its not... ID might cost an extremely small cost.... But is also extremely useful for other things besides just voting.

Taxing can directly oppress the poor from voting... Directly .... Only for voting.

Getting ID... Used for multiple things..... And I know MANY "poor" people who have IDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Again.... Please explain to me how requiring an ID is in any way taking away people right to vote.

Also... I think what pgtitans is saying... By not requiring an ID for voting... Is just making it simpler for fraud on a larger level. I bet I could do a very simple search for a few people I know on whether or not they are registered to vote... And where.... And if I retrieved the appropriate information... Could go... Say I'm them..... And place a vote. What is preventing anyone from doing that??
It's an additional barrier. There are X number of people who, for whtever reason, just don have it. Thats extra time and money to get it replaced if they want to vote. a certain share of x will just Not do it for whatever reason, so that number of votes will not be cast. Many courts have identified this as affecting certain, never-going-to-vote-GOP demographics disproportionately.

It's pretty simple really.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 PM

629 posts, read 946,123 times
Voter fraud exists but the voter fraud that is done by in-person impersonation at the polls is vanishingly small. The number of people on the margins who will be prevented from voting is much larger than the footprint of abovementioned impersonation voter fraud. If we move to voter ID laws, currently registered voters should be grandfathered, and the discovered barriers to ID (cost, inconvenience, lack of documentation etc.) need to be dealt with so that these barriers are removed.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
SSN is ID, it just not photo ID. You even admitted that ID is necessary to prove that someone is a citizen, so how does it not apply to the 24th amendment?
I'm not taking a side in this fight but right on the front of my Soc Security card it says
NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION

Now maybe they have changed them since I got mine in the 60s (and even then I thought it was a joke)

Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Its not... ID might cost an extremely small cost.... But is also extremely useful for other things besides just voting.

Taxing can directly oppress the poor from voting... Directly .... Only for voting.

Getting ID... Used for multiple things..... And I know MANY "poor" people who have IDs.
Time is a cost too, transportation to the DMV... There are some parts of this Country where the nearest DMV is hours and hours away!

If a person hasn't needed Id to exist in daily life they shouldn't be forced to get it in order to vote.

SHOW ME ONE STATISTIC THAT SHOWS THAT VOTER FRAUD IS A REAL PROBLEM

Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM

If voter fraud happens 1 time...that is still clearly one too many!!

I mean why doesn't the gov for those people who seriously can't afford 15 bucks for a state ID.... To register to vote... Write in they can't afford an ID.... S when they register... They just get their picture taken with all their information.... And that comes up when they go to vote?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Voter fraud exists but the voter fraud that is done by in-person impersonation at the polls is vanishingly small. The number of people on the margins who will be prevented from voting is much larger than the footprint of abovementioned impersonation voter fraud. If we move to voter ID laws, currently registered voters should be grandfathered, and the discovered barriers to ID (cost, inconvenience, lack of documentation etc.) need to be dealt with so that these barriers are removed.
Reasonable, so long as people know they can be grandfathered in (and not subject to the "confusion" that seems to mess up votes every election). There should be no confusion or ambiguity. It's voting, not taxes.

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
You know how many times I bought beer with a phony photo Id in my younger years? The concept is not that foreign.

A photo Id will not prevent the rampant voter fraud that is sweeping across this nation. Barcodes! Retinal scans! THAT'S WHAT WE NEED!

(or for a political party to quit trying to marginalize those who who support them at a rate of approximately 0%)
So because people will find loop holes with voter ID laws, we should just give up with trying to check ID?

Well people are stealing, so we should just make stealing legal right?

I liked your other personality better. He/she knew when it was time to leave the conversation instead of picking on parts of the argument he/she think he/she can argue. The truth is the moment you realize you are wrong again, you will disappear. Just admit that asking for ID isn't wrong.

Quote:
Time is a cost too, transportation to the DMV... There are some parts of this Country where the nearest DMV is hours and hours away!

If a person hasn't needed Id to exist in daily life they shouldn't be forced to get it in order to vote.

SHOW ME ONE STATISTIC THAT SHOWS THAT VOTER FRAUD IS A REAL PROBLEM

I've read a ton of different "statistics" they say opposite things... I don't know what "statistics" are real or are false these days bc their are way too many crappy people lying all over the place.

My point is....I think if one single vote is fraudulent is too many.... And isn't fair. Who is the judge of "what a real problem" is or not with fraudulent voting....? 1.....100......1000000?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
If voter fraud happens 1 time...that is still clearly one too many!!

I mean why doesn't the gov for those people who seriously can't afford 15 bucks for a state ID.... To register to vote... Write in they can't afford an ID.... S when they register... They just get their picture taken with all their information.... And that comes up when they go to vote?
So you want to penalize someone who doesn't have $15 by taking away their right to vote? That makes sense to you?

Show me stats about voter fraud. No, one case of voter fraud does make the case for eliminating the votes of potentially thousands of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland