Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Ever since the ICC opened, I've been driving to Olney for different reasons. I noticed that it looks and feels more affluent than areas to its south and southeast. I looked up some stats and learned that the median household income there is around $116K. That's not Potomac wealthy, but it's still not bad for this area.

I remember when Olney used to be more middle class. So when did this change happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I remember when Olney used to be more middle class. So when did this change happen?
As I remember, starting in the late 1980's, the dairy farms were sold, and turned into developments with move-up houses. Many move-up houses were sold in the 1990's. Around 2002, I visited a doctor's house in Olney, and the next I knew the family had a million-dollar house in Potomac. So, it has happened gradually, especially as people moved out of smaller, older houses in Silver Spring. Opening the Red Line to Glenmont probably also helped encourage people to move further out.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 AM

146 posts, read 374,658 times
Large Mcmansions were built on open farm land and Olney has all the basics for safe, friendly suburb within commuting distance of Fort Meade, DC and the I-270 Corridor. Alot of professionals with alot of money and looking to start a family have settled down in that area. See article it states Olney is 16th richest community in the DC Area, which is the wealthiest region in the country. MontCo has region's richest communities | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,197 times
Affluent? The move of Good Counsel high school has no doubt added some cache and newer areas leading away from Olney proper towards Brookeville, Montgomery Village and Gaithersburg have newer bigger homes, but the older sections that have been around for 25 or so years are still solidly middle class.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM

131 posts, read 344,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Affluent? The move of Good Counsel high school has no doubt added some cache and newer areas leading away from Olney proper towards Brookeville, Montgomery Village and Gaithersburg have newer bigger homes, but the older sections that have been around for 25 or so years are still solidly middle class.
Agreed. I'd still characterize Olney as solidly middle class.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
Olney is racist

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 16,257 times
Olney isn't racist, my brother lives there an just this week he had an event at his house and 99.9% of his neighbors are Caucasian and they were very welcoming when we had to park on there lawns and even engaged us in conversation as we left. When I say we I mean african american males.

Ever since I was a little boy living in Silver Spring on Bel Pre Rd, Olney has ALWAYS been an affluent suburb. Many doctors, lawyers and I think some politicians live in Olney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland