Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,996 times

Advertisements

My family (husband and three young children) will be relocating so that I can take a new job. The job is located in DC. We know that we don't want to live in the city itself but other than that we have no clue where to look. Ideally we want to rent first so that we can get a better sense of the area without committing to home ownership. We are a bi-racial family and diversity is very important to us. We are probably not able to afford more than $2500/ month in rent. I would want to be near the metro so I can use it to get to and from work. Any tips???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Maryland or Virginia

Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandkc View Post
We are a bi-racial family and diversity is very important to us. We are probably not able to afford more than $2500/ month in rent. I would want to be near the metro so I can use it to get to and from work. Any tips???
Check out Takoma Park, Maryland. It's close in and diverse. Stick to the Montgomery County side of Takoma Park, as the Prince George side of Takoma Park does not have great schools.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

82 posts, read 186,722 times
I don't know much about Virginia, but I would suggest a biracial family look at Montgomery County, Md. The poster above is right that Takoma Park might be a good option. You may also want to consider parts of Silver Spring and Rockville, but check the schools. Gaithersburg, Germantown, Etc., all have racial diversity, but you want to look at the schools first. Consider Howard County as well. Some fine schools are up in the Columbia region, and the train is pretty easy to catch into DC. I think a biracial family could do very well and be happy there. As far as PG county, I don't know anything other than the schools aren't awesome, and the county itself is going through some changes. I would say to stay away from Calvert county, but that's only based on what I see I drive through. Feels a bit unwelcoming to me. Like there is an imaginary line between PG and Calvert. But your options in MoCo and HoCo are great. You can find great areas in either.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
I would consider Hyattsville and Silver Spring for starters. I don't know what these people recommending Howard County are thinking because that is pretty far out, and certainly not close to the metro.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I would consider Hyattsville and Silver Spring for starters. I don't know what these people recommending Howard County are thinking because that is pretty far out, and certainly not close to the metro.
Agreed. I like the 20902 and 20910 zip codes, where you can rent a single family house in your price range. Most areas are on a bus line to the Metro stops. It's somewhat diverse, and schools are at least average.

Columbia in Howard County is a great place for a biracial family, but it isn't close to Metro. There are express buses into DC from Columbia, if you want to consider it.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times
You want something close to DC, good feel, good house, are bi-racial...

Fort Washington is a good place for you. You'd probably have to put your kids in private school, but it would be a great tradeoff for the much cheaper cost of housing.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
You are limiting yourself by wanting to be close to the metro. Look at express buses and MARC too. Home | Maryland Transit Administration Howard County is a longer commute to DC, but there are a lot of people here who do it because they like the quality of life and the schools. It really depends on whether your husband is able to stay-at-home or work close enough to be the one who does drop off/pick up at school. I know a lot of couples with one partner who works in DC, but none with both!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
You want something close to DC, good feel, good house, are bi-racial...

Fort Washington is a good place for you. You'd probably have to put your kids in private school, but it would be a great tradeoff for the much cheaper cost of housing.
Except Fort Washington is 10 miles from the nearest metro station (and also molukai secretly hates everything ).

Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times
DC proper is only 15 miles from my new construction house in fort washington that overlooks a million dollar scenic view (which i openly love). Who needs a metro when you can be in DC by car in less time, even during rush hour?

If I really care about metro, there is a metro bus circular that takes me directly to dc by express the next block over.

If there is any redeeming quality to the DC region (from the view of a young family such as mine) it is Fort Washington. Distance to DC, national parks of historical legacy, beauty of area, mild-mannered citizenry, distance to the marina, country club nearby, national harbor a few miles away, relative cheapness of houses (the same type of house from the same builder just across state lines in a crummy spot in alexandria va costs 3x the price i paid for my house). Schools are the only problem, but unless you have many kids it is a better value to be here and send your children to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland