Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,563,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well gee DC is the nation's capital for one so simply based on the need to be close to the seat of government businesses will locate there, notice they don't build in Anacostia though.
True but DC had the opposite issue from PG. There issue was motivating a larger number of middle class and affluent people to reside in DC. It wasn't until they began to change the paradigm that they were able to have a more balanced revenue stream. They decided on a specific target market that played to their strengths and directed their development to support their goals.

Quote:
Chicago actually has been struggling to attract and retain businesses and has to resort to gimmicks to keep major employers. Still it's a megacity so it will always have some inherant advantage, ditto for LA.
True but I referenced them because they have both struggled with school performance but have been able to attract business nonetheless. Granted they have other ammenities that are attractive and that is what PG needs to do to attract business. Identify and play to their strengths.

Quote:
Can't comment much on West Virginia but I know their crime rate is no where near PG's and I suspect their schools based on test scores are probably rate higher than PG but I could be wrong.
WV has struggled with schools, infrastructure and offering a diverse set of amenities but have been able to attract GSA and some other agencies within their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM

7,081 posts, read 9,557,018 times
I think there is also lack of understanding between what is seen on paper and what is reality. It's hard for out-of-region businesses to get a feel for Prince Georges County other than the stats they see as far as crime, education, and housing. What looks bad on paper may not be so bad once time is spent within the county. I also think the negatives get way more attention than the positives. What PG has to do is get out ahead of the negative perceptions and market the potential and opportunities that can be found within the county despite what is seen on paper. For example there is HUGE potential in College Park and at National Harbor. Also in Laurel, Bowie, New Carrollton, Greenbelt (NASA), etc. We have an educated workforce that can sustain middle income jobs. We have a university that can produce high income workers.

We also need a more streamlined review process so developers know what to expect and the permits don't take longer than necessary to process. Half the time developers are just waiting on the permits after everything else is in place. Also, their needs to be some reform in the appeal process. It is my personal opinion that if after there has been a sufficient number of appeals (2), lawsuits shouldn't be allowed as a stall tactic. That's what kills developments. IF a developer can't make money because they are paying taxes on undeveloped land due to lawsuits, they'll leave. If the majority of residents including city counsels and planning officials approve a project after all that time and money is spent during the approval process, you could still end up with nothing. I think that is wasteful of taxpayer money and time. It can and has been detrimental to development. That's MY opinion. People can argue about democracy, etc. But if your appeal fails twice, then maybe you need to step back and let the majority and your elected officials move forward with what's best for them.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM

45,305 posts, read 60,463,888 times
In the case of West Virginia any concerns were put aside because Se. Robert Byrd wanted agencies to move there, highways to be built and airports to be upgraded. Similar things happened in PA in John Murtha's district around Johnstown and it spilled over to the neighboring District around Altoona.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM

6,991 posts, read 11,285,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In the case of West Virginia any concerns were put aside because Se. Robert Byrd wanted agencies to move there, highways to be built and airports to be upgraded. Similar things happened in PA in John Murtha's district around Johnstown and it spilled over to the neighboring District around Altoona.
The Bud Shuster Highway

Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM

575 posts, read 553,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The Bud Shuster Highway
Odd that they chose I-99 when it's out of place.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

6,991 posts, read 11,285,887 times
Unlike most Interstate Highway numbers, which were assigned by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) to fit into a grid, I-99's number was written into Section 332 of the National Highway Designation Act of 1995 by Bud Shuster, then-chair of the U.S. House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, the bill's sponsor, and the representative of the district through which the highway runs. I-99 violates the AASHTO numbering convention associated with Interstate Highways, since it lies east of I-79 but west of I-81.

Interstate 99 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not sure what they could have called the road that fit with the standard pattern. I-79.5?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM

200 posts, read 292,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Its booming!!!
I saw a big solar project down near Hughesville this weekend.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM

Something I have been reading on here that is disturbing is the constant wording of "the government" doing the cleaning up of undesirable places or "the government" setting up more office space in the area. I assume the federal government is what is implied.

The area is about to be hit with the very real aspect of sequestration - that means federal jobs being moved from the area in an attempt to lower spending/cut deficit on the federal level. How can the federal government be expected to invest in a specific area - in this case making it more attractive to more federal agencies or private industry - when they are on the verge of shutting down some of it's very own? If the federal government is going to invest in neighborhoods, not the role of federal government, why haven't they cleaned up cities such as Detroit yet? Is the federal government to be the saving grace of this area?
We might as well live in the District of Maryland. We would have no state's rights and no representation on Capitol Hill.
The Redskins, Orioles, Ravens, Wizards, Capitals and Nationals all tie into the area and make a healthy profit from the residents of the state. I would say healthy enough to put far more back into the state than they attempt to. At least in the areas surrounding their venues.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Are you crazy?

Nobody loves taxes but the reality is taxes are needed to build and fix roads, provide police and fire protection, provide for public education, fund the infrastructure that everyone relies on, etc.. Yes, taxes suck but they are necessary. Remember, you get what you pay for. You can live in a state like Maryland where you have some taxes that are high or, at least, higher than other states but you have pretty decent roads and schools and pretty good public safety coverage or you can live in a state like here in Alaska, where there are no state income or sales tax but we have horrible roads, marginal schools, and very little infrastructure and you're pretty much left on your own.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for.
You live in a state that embraces the intent of the Constitution and what this country was founded on. When people first came to this country none of what you mentioned was here. People did it themselves and did so for centuries without paying taxes to have what existed in Europe.

Well maintained roads are needed here because we only have millions of people driving on them every day of the year. What is the population of your vicinity? Schools are probably better where you are on a whole because population isn't overcrowding them to the point of ridiculous. What is the illegal immigrant population up there? That affects schools as well.

What infrastructure are you lacking? Are you so far away from civilization you live in what would be a "weekend house" by those living in the lower 48? The larger cities up there are not backwoods hovels.
You have more freedoms in AK than any here in MD could possibly fathom. AK is not a police state like MD. You live on the frontier and many here would love to trade places with you; especially those of us retired. I could do without the cold but that comes with the territory.

If it's so bad up there why stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland