U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM

8 posts, read 6,871 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are moving to the area - he's about to accept a job over in Suitland - and we're looking for good, safe, and clean areas to live in. We've researched the No-VA area, but we also wanted to look in the Maryland area because everyone said that it's a bit more affordable.
Here are our stats:
Max. $1500 a month
No children
One car
Would like to live near the metro, or have a commute less than 30 mins.
Safety is important
Pests are not our favorite thing in the world.

We're from the midwest and have lived in primarily medium sized cities - Sioux Falls, SD and Minneapolis - our whole lives. My husband has been out to DC a couple of times, and liked Alexandria, but to live somewhere nice is expensive. Are there any equally nice - or nicer - areas in Maryland that we should look at?

Thanks for all of your comments in advance. And, I apologize if you've read too many of these topics already...if you ever want to move to Sioux falls, I'll return the favor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 PM

200 posts, read 129,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjamber View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband and I are moving to the area - he's about to accept a job over in Suitland - and we're looking for good, safe, and clean areas to live in. We've researched the No-VA area, but we also wanted to look in the Maryland area because everyone said that it's a bit more affordable.
Here are our stats:
Max. $1500 a month
No children
One car
Would like to live near the metro, or have a commute less than 30 mins.
Safety is important
Pests are not our favorite thing in the world.

We're from the midwest and have lived in primarily medium sized cities - Sioux Falls, SD and Minneapolis - our whole lives. My husband has been out to DC a couple of times, and liked Alexandria, but to live somewhere nice is expensive. Are there any equally nice - or nicer - areas in Maryland that we should look at?

Thanks for all of your comments in advance. And, I apologize if you've read too many of these topics already...if you ever want to move to Sioux falls, I'll return the favor!

What is Sioux Falls like?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 AM

Lol. Sioux Falls is the best combination of small town charm and big city living. It has the convenience of many big city stores, yet still feels very neighborly. While mostly white people, many minority groups are growing, like the Hispanic population. There is not too much crime for the area. It has lots of parades and festivals and a great downtown shopping district. Obviously, I'm a bit biased, but it's pretty great.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:11 PM

7,225 posts, read 7,357,591 times
Quote:
Are there any equally nice - or nicer - areas in Maryland that we should look at?
You will be disappointed with what your budget of $1500 will buy. I'd do a search of the forum for recommendations to people moving to Andrews AFB.

Generally you should move further out for safer and nicer areas. I'd also suggest budgeting for a second car, unless you are willing to drive your husband to Metro every day. Places close to Metro stations in Prince George County and the eastern side of the District are not especially safe.

You could see what you can afford in Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington or Fairfax County if you want to commute by Metro. If you want to stay on the eastern side of Maryland, I'd suggest looking at the St. Charles development. There are many nice apartments there, but your husband would need a bus or car to get to Metro.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-03-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,003,772 times
Yes- read the numerous discussions on this forum about moving to Andrews AFB - which is next to Suitland.

Nearly all of Prince Georges County (both the urban and the rural parts of it) is predominantly African-American - some of it lower-class (like Suitland itself), and other more outlying parts are quite affluent. If you don't have children in the school system, then this is less important - but it still may be a culture shock to you, compared with SD.

Many people working in Suitland, and Andrews AFB, live in Waldorf / St. Charles MD, which is a large bedroom city, and regional hub, with a 2-story Mall and most other amenities you could want. If you want a small, walkable town, consider Chesapeake Beach. Alexandria VA (which has many different, widely varying neighborhoods) and Capitol Hill DC, are also close by, but will cost more, due to their proximity / convenience to Federal jobs and cultural activities in D.C.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM

16,841 posts, read 16,657,177 times
Chesapeake Beach really isn't walkable due to the layout of the Town.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 PM

7,225 posts, read 7,357,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Alexandria VA (which has many different, widely varying neighborhoods) and Capitol Hill DC, are also close by, but will cost more, due to their proximity / convenience to Federal jobs and cultural activities in D.C.
I'd also endorse the Capitol Hill idea if the OP likes city amenities, and also suggest the South West quadrant. The husband could do a reverse commute by Metro out to Suitland. The $1500 budget will only get them a studio or 1-BR.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd also endorse the Capitol Hill idea if the OP likes city amenities, and also suggest the South West quadrant. The husband could do a reverse commute by Metro out to Suitland. The $1500 budget will only get them a studio or 1-BR.
Compared to SD, I'm sure even the small towns in the surrounding areas of DC have city amenities. Some small towns out here have a gas station. That's the town.

Currently, we've only been looking at studio or 1 bedrooms, so that would be fine. I've been looking at condos for rent in the area. On another board, someone had mentioned that they are quieter and might have less pest problems. Being from SD, I'm going to be ok with centipedes/milipedes/spiders/ants/snakes, and the house that we live in had mice for a while. (But, we were able to get rid of the mice for good). I don't think that I could handle continuous mice problems, or roaches. (We don't really have those out here - although, funnily enough we do have roaches in a nice bug farm/zoo out in Ames, Iowa )

So, we've been looking at condos and apartments in so many areas - Hyattsville, Alexandria, West Falls Church, Arlington, Bethesda, St. Charles - so many. And, by look, I mean going on Realtor.com, checking out what is available, checking the area on other boards here, googling it, google mapping it, when it pertains to an apartment, then I go to reviews online and try to decipher who the apartment managers (gushing reviews) are from the people who just hate the apartment managers (worst apartment ever reviews).

I doubt we'll be able to check out the complexes or areas in person before we sign a lease, sadly. My husband has been to Old Town Alexandria and loved it, but apartments there are exceedingly expensive. I just don't want to lease a place somewhere with major crime problems. There's always going to be petty theft and the like, but I'd prefer to stay away from the major problems.

Ergh. Home hunting is becoming a part time job.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM

200 posts, read 129,654 times
Quote:

Ergh. Home hunting is becoming a part time job.

It's about to become a full time position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland