Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
How ironic. Folks are righteously indignant about Tiffany Alston stealing $800 in one instance and about $1,000 in another for personal/law firm needs. She gets the boot (and she needs to get it together, since she also lost her law license, so I agree with her exiting stage left). But then they want to replace her with Mr. Former Thugalicious? He has supposedly reformed? There are other possibilities out there. Why Hall? What's his connection? Because in PG, that's the bottom line -- which high-ranking official or political VIP these folks know or are connected to in some way. As long as the new people coming in are entangled with the old, jacked up network, things will remain jacked up.
He is apparently connected to Will Campos. I don't know how it operates in politics but in if I were to recommend someone for a position, you better believe I would have done my own scrub to ensure that I would not compromise my own reputation. Campos stated that Hall was forthcoming about his past but does that justify endorsing or moving forward with his nomination? Which pill did they take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
He is apparently connected to Will Campos. I don't know how it operates in politics but in if I were to recommend someone for a position, you better believe I would have done my own scrub to ensure that I would not compromise my own reputation. Campos stated that Hall was forthcoming about his past but does that justify endorsing or moving forward with his nomination? Which pill did they take?
I was surprised to see Campos' name in this. This situation reminds me of a young man that interned or worked for the Baltimore City Council and who was later covicted of killing the Dawson family in Baltimore by setting their house on fire. My view is that you need to be very careful who you choose to help redeem or lift up. You certainly don't want to vault questionable people into politics because they have the gift of BS.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Gov. O'Malley sent a letter to county Dems asking them to withdraw their nominee................it was only a matter of time. The one question that I have is if anyone feels that Alston should get her position back since the verdict was vacated.

O’Malley asks Prince George’s Dems to withdraw delegate nominee - The Washington Post

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 11-17-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM

200 posts, read 293,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
And people wonder why nobody takes PG County serious.
Damn, I am agreeing with you on something. Corruption is a sucking whirlpool here and it draws them all in.

Meanwhile, Romney supposedly cut a kid's hair in HS and was vilified for it. I guess being involved in a drug shooting is perfectly acceptable.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM

Well the saga continues. What amazes me is that this is even an issue. Others may disagree but I don't think that a county that is trying to move away from its reputation of corruption should have a delegate with a questionable past.

Judge says full review needed in Alston, Hall challenges in Prince George’s - The Washington Post

Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
What is the judge's legal reasoning for this decision?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What is the judge's legal reasoning for this decision?

Good question. That wasn't really clear in the article. My guess is that the Gov. has the ability to request an extension through the judicial system and was afforded the ability to do so. From what I read up to this point it doesn't appear to be a lot that can be done to refute the nomination once it is submitted.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Good question. That wasn't really clear in the article. My guess is that the Gov. has the ability to request an extension through the judicial system and was afforded the ability to do so. From what I read up to this point it doesn't appear to be a lot that can be done to refute the nomination once it is submitted.
I think it has something to do with Alston and Hall filing lawsuits to get (or return to) the delegate job. I don't see them on the case search website yet.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I think it has something to do with Alston and Hall filing lawsuits to get (or return to) the delegate job. I don't see them on the case search website yet.
Make sense. I was reading an article this morning that stated that they would be hearing arguments from all sides next week.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Here is an article examining the Greg Hall appointment. I think that O'Malley makes a great point if the people want to elect him then fine but he doesn't make a great appointment given his past. Should someone be given a second chance after turning their life around. Yes, I believe in certain situations? Yes, but my issue with him is that, given the county's attempts to change its reputation, his past would be a distraction. Not to mention that he currently has tax issues that have not been resolved. That by itself brings to issue his ability to be fiscally responsible.

Similar to Rosa Parks and the civil rights movement. There would many blacks who did not give up their seats to whites back then. Some were arrested, etc. etc. Any one of their stories could have been used as an example of civil injustice. However, black civil rights leaders at the time new that they needed someone with an impeccable record to rally behind to ensure that their efforts would be taken seriously. The same thing goes for the selection of MLK Jr. to serve as a leader in the movement. Perception goes a long way in furthering your cause and if we want to be taken seriously in our efforts we need to be strategic in who we pick to lead us.

Do good works redeem Md. ex-drug dealer? - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland