Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times

Advertisements

No time is being wasted to lobby for the new FBI headquarters. Below are the next in a series of articles on the subject. The first discusses why PGC is a viable location and the other speaks to the endorsement of VA Reps in lobbying for it to be located in NOVA. What are your thoughts.

Quote:
“Prince George’s County would be an amazingly good decision, in the right place,” said David Robertson, executive director of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
Put the FBI headquarters in Prince George’s - The Washington Post

Quote:
A group of Virginia members of Congress have a message for the General Services Administration: Give us the FBI.
Congress members push for FBI move to Northern Virginia - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
No time is being wasted to lobby for the new FBI headquarters. Below are the next in a series of articles on the subject. The first discusses why PGC is a viable location and the other speaks to the endorsement of VA Reps in lobbying for it to be located in NOVA. What are your thoughts.

Put the FBI headquarters in Prince George’s - The Washington Post

Congress members push for FBI move to Northern Virginia - The Washington Post
Clearly the PG article makes a much more detailed and compelling argument. I think the point about the Quantico site having an academy makes sense too. It's really hard to say which direction they may go. I think PG would be best serves to sell the Branch Avenue, Largo or Greenbelt sites as the locations to go. Those are all good areas and have a better chance of competing. But if you pick some place like Naylor Road, you will have no chance.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Clearly the PG article makes a much more detailed and compelling argument. I think the point about the Quantico site having an academy makes sense too. It's really hard to say which direction they may go. I think PG would be best serves to sell the Branch Avenue, Largo or Greenbelt sites as the locations to go. Those are all good areas and have a better chance of competing. But if you pick some place like Naylor Road, you will have no chance.
Agreed. The Quantico site does make sense from a proximity standpoint but from what I recall that traffic (like the rest of NOVA) is nothing to play with. Also what metro would be close to that site and does it fall within the 2 mile radius previously required? Marketing of PG should definitely focus on the stations mentioned. I agree with the writer that picking a location that would provide a reverse commute for the area would be the best path and could serve as a catalyst for development in that surrounding area. I guess we will get a better idea of their direction when the proposals come out in Feb/Mar and when the actual RFP comes out which will probably be in 2014/2015.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Agreed. The Quantico site does make sense from a proximity standpoint but from what I recall that traffic (like the rest of NOVA) is nothing to play with. Also what metro would be close to that site and does it fall within the 2 mile radius previously required? Marketing of PG should definitely focus on the stations mentioned. I agree with the writer that picking a location that would provide a reverse commute for the area would be the best path and could serve as a catalyst for development in that surrounding area. I guess we will get a better idea of their direction when the proposals come out in Feb/Mar and when the actual RFP comes out which will probably be in 2014/2015.
The Quantico site is where FBI training is. The argument is being made that it would be easier to commute between the training site and Springfield if the FBI was there. I don't think they are suggesting moving the FBI down there though, they are making the argument for the Springfield location.

The reverse commute argument makes sense but to be honest with you, for someone that has worked in both MD and VA, I don't think the traffic is that much better on the MD side. Granted, these days there are noticeably more cars going into VA than there were a few years ago (Wilson Bridge is getting back up daily now, more on this in another thread), I don't think it's as much of an issue. Another point that is being lost about moving it to Springfield is that the VRE is there and commuter buses from far out counties can take either the HOV or HOT lanes there to Springfield without issue. MD is behind the 8 ball on this. I could live in places like Stafford County or Prince William County and make a commuter bus trip up to Springfield in about 20-30 minutes in rush hour traffic. Meanwhile all Prince George's County has is just metro stations (with the exception of about 2 that have the MARC train)?

Let's be hypothetical. Let's say that they decided to move the FBI to Branch Avenue. What kind of commute would it be like for people who are coming from southern MD? Branch Avenue as is right now is already an awful, awful commute because of the lack of public transportation access from those southern parts, so those issues become exacerbated with adding an agency that will bring 1000s of new workers. Quality of life would drastically change and an unhappy work force would ensue. Is that Prince George's County's fault? I actually don't think this has anything to do with PG. I think this has more to do with poor planning on Charles County's part and because PG is sandwiched in between, this county will have to pay for road maintenance on all of those roads and there doesn't appear to be at least a light rail or a HOV type set up coming anytime soon.

Largo is a good location just because it's near some major roads, but if there are people that don't live in Prince George's County, it will be a long drive/train commute because it is really right smack in the middle of the county. Definitely a trade off but there is some solid infrastructure there that would make it a good location, although I don't think PG is pushing Largo.

Greenbelt is the best opportunity because it is legitimately one of the places that the workforce would probably consider living if they lived within the county. It also has the Metro and MARC trains, which would open up the market for workers who live in the Baltimore area and I believe some workers have actually used the VRE and MARC trains combined to get to work so it doesn't leave VA out either. That to me should be really the only place the county should be pushing for.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
FBI has got to come to PG County. It just makes a ton of sense and I think Greenbelt metro would be the best place for it.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Norton's comment would be expected from any local official. She's an expert on FBI operations or just wants to protect DC interests (as is her job)? The "last" agency they want to move from DC? Hyperbole? How many FBI personnel need to go to Capitol Hill on a daily basis, and how much of a difference would being in PG make? Why is the CIA allowed to be out in Langley? Would security for the FBI building be better in PG?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Well, this guy certainly lays it all out there doesn't he?

Will the FBI relocate its headquarters to Prince George’s County?

Quote:
When I read the latest reports of the General Service Administration’s plans to move FBI headquarters out of Washington, D.C. earlier this week, I was reminded of a recent conversation I had with a retired GSA realty contracting officer who had been trying for decades to get GSA to locate prime federal offices in Prince George’s. “They’ll tell you, ‘Well, Prince George’s County doesn’t have the infrastructure, doesn’t have the quality schools, they have a high crime rate.’ All of these are code words for ‘black folk,” he told me. “So, they have essentially redlined Prince George’s County.”

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

He makes a good argument but since the poor schools, high crime are legitimate issues they can keep hiding behind "code words".

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

That's a ridiculous, ridiculous thing to say. First of all we should take this with a grain of salt, it's a column, it's The Root and doesn't mean that this is factual. No one is going to want to be in an area with high crime and bad schools no matter what race lives there.

If it were truly a racial issue, the government would have been out of DC, aka the Chocolate City, long ago.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Another article discussing the prospect of the FBI moving to PG. Although interesting I question the ability of it making as major an economic impact as is being touted. I say that because Census has not significantly changed Suitland.

Gazette.Net: FBI on Prince George’s most-wanted list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland