Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I'm glad you made it back to my native state safely. From reading your posts, it seemed that you might have already spent too much time in environments where there wasn't enough oxygen.
Perhaps, but VA even lacked enough oxygen for someone not used to a lot. Ive been to cities in China with cleaner air than VA, and hiked up Himlayan mountains with more Oxygen than the air in VA. The smell was the worst part and it is everywhere in VA it is like an open sewer, combined with a garbage dump, combined with chemicals factories, combined with dead rotting animals, combined with burnt rubber, combined with skunk X 1000000000.

To that other poster, yes VA does lack culture, except in the south where it has southern slave owning gentry culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
One last thing, I feel like NoVA (and perhaps just the state of VA in general) lacks the culture that MD has. MD cities, counties all feel like they have their own distinct feel to them. Most of NoVA just feels like one giant bedroom community full of translocated, busy residents that rely on its proximity to DC for its identity.

Yes, MD may have higher crime rates in some areas and some old, shabby neighborhoods, but each to his own, I would rather live in good ol' Maryland any day over boring, elitist, ineffectual NoVA.
Let's see. You grew up in Silver Spring and now go to school in College Park, right? You might give some thought to spreading those wings a bit wider before you opine on what other states have to offer. Culture is best appreciated when it entails more than a five-mile trip along East-West Highway.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Let's see. You grew up in Silver Spring and now go to school in College Park, right? You might give some thought to spreading those wings a bit wider before you opine on what other states have to offer. Culture is best appreciated when it entails more than a five-mile trip along East-West Highway.
Maryland is not the most cultured place in the world, although it does have lots of culture, but compared to VA it is like Paris, Venice, Rome, Tokyo, Los Angeles, New York, Singapore, Sydney, London, and Angkor Wok and every city with culture and history combined. Maryland would be like the Smithsonian while Virginia would be like a McDonalds located within a Walmart.

So yes I recommend travel too, but the poster is right that MD is more cultured.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Maryland is not the most cultured place in the world, although it does have lots of culture, but compared to VA it is like Paris, Venice, Rome, Tokyo, Los Angeles, New York, Singapore, Sydney, London, and Angkor Wok and every city with culture and history combined. Maryland would be like the Smithsonian while Virginia would be like a McDonalds located within a Walmart.

So yes I recommend travel too, but the poster is right that MD is more cultured.
In all seriousness though, have you ever lived in Virginia? If so what part?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
In all seriousness though, have you ever lived in Virginia? If so what part?
Ive lived in VB and Fairfax. When I lived there I didnt notice how bad the air was, but after breathing Maryland air I am now aware of how bad VA air is.

I also forgot to mention the water quality in VA. I have been to developing Latin American countries with cleaner, better and safer water.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:

The only way that MD is "more cultured" than VA is if you include all the bacteria growing in petri dishes at NIH and Fort Detrick. Plenty of biohazards in your neck of the woods.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Ive lived in VB and Fairfax. When I lived there I didnt notice how bad the air was, but after breathing Maryland air I am now aware of how bad VA air is.

I also forgot to mention the water quality in VA. I have been to developing Latin American countries with cleaner, better and safer water.
First of all Virginia Beach is in a completely different metropolitan area and it is entirely different than anything in Northern VA. I don't see how you can make such a sweeping generalization of the two places like they really are that similar.

Second, if you only lived in Fairfax, then I don't know if that really gives you a lot of information about VA. I mean if you have a preference for MD then that's understandable, but you don't seem to be very knowledgeable about VA. You haven't really use too many facts, just your personal opinion. But that is par for the course for your posts on this site.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM

182 posts, read 540,799 times
Quote:
Maryland is not the most cultured place in the world, although it does have lots of culture, but compared to VA it is like Paris, Venice, Rome, Tokyo, Los Angeles, New York, Singapore, Sydney, London, and Angkor Wok and every city with culture and history combined.
Forget about Virginia, have you ever traveled to a state north of Maryland? I'm talking about states like PA/NJ/NY/and all of New England where people have thick regional accents, the local ethnic food is amazing, the towns date back centuries and grew organically, the states where their cities have 24/7 mass transit? The states that have world-class ocean beaches and wealthy second home communities that are second to none? The states where people don't just brag about their soulless white collar jobs and actually live life to the fullest? I'm guessing you haven't.

Guess what? They are all superior to Maryland! So quit your elitist, baseless blah blah blah and experience real culture instead. Compared to states up north, Maryland is pointless, sterile, boring, useless, and is comprised of ghetto areas, redneck areas, and elitist MoCo which is nothing more than planned subdivisions, strip malls, chain restaurants, chain retail, traffic, and plenty of backwards people. I'll take the Hamptons, Cape Cod, Boston, and NYC ANYDAY over your tacky Ocean City, ghetto Baltimore and PG County, sterile/elitist MoCo, and WT rural areas. I'll take Maine lobster over Baltimore Harbor smelly crab, and I'll take NYC pizza over Ledo Pizza in MoCo. Get off your high horse! You sound so ridiculous!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
Forget about Virginia, have you ever traveled to a state north of Maryland? I'm talking about states like PA/NJ/NY/and all of New England where people have thick regional accents, the local ethnic food is amazing, the towns date back centuries and grew organically, the states where their cities have 24/7 mass transit? The states that have world-class ocean beaches and wealthy second home communities that are second to none? The states where people don't just brag about their soulless white collar jobs and actually live life to the fullest? I'm guessing you haven't.

Guess what? They are all superior to Maryland! So quit your elitist, baseless blah blah blah and experience real culture instead. Compared to states up north, Maryland is pointless, sterile, boring, useless, and is comprised of ghetto areas, redneck areas, and elitist MoCo which is nothing more than planned subdivisions, strip malls, chain restaurants, chain retail, traffic, and plenty of backwards people. I'll take the Hamptons, Cape Cod, Boston, and NYC ANYDAY over your tacky Ocean City, ghetto Baltimore and PG County, sterile/elitist MoCo, and WT rural areas. I'll take Maine lobster over Baltimore Harbor smelly crab, and I'll take NYC pizza over Ledo Pizza in MoCo. Get off your high horse! You sound so ridiculous!
MD is not the greatest state ever. I agree. However, it is better than VA and that is the point of this thread. There are certainly states worse than VA, but plenty better.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
First of all Virginia Beach is in a completely different metropolitan area and it is entirely different than anything in Northern VA. I don't see how you can make such a sweeping generalization of the two places like they really are that similar.

Second, if you only lived in Fairfax, then I don't know if that really gives you a lot of information about VA. I mean if you have a preference for MD then that's understandable, but you don't seem to be very knowledgeable about VA. You haven't really use too many facts, just your personal opinion. But that is par for the course for your posts on this site.
Hey you asked if I ever lived in VA. If you wanted to know if I only lived in NOVA, which I have, you should have specified that.

Secondly, I didnt just live in Fairfax. I lived in 2 different areas of VA. I have done nothing but state facts, nor have I stated many opinions. It is not opinion that MD is better than VA, and that VA has dirty air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland