Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Hands, you'd feel the same way if you were in the positions of the people that only have like 10 miles to work but still having to take an hour stemming from people ditching. Also, knowing you, I am willing to bet that I regularly head out to work earlier than you. Perhaps it is more pious to think of constructive posts than to make cynical ones..
You know me? You know what time I go to work? Creepy.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the snark, but I can't stand self-appointed traffic "heroes." You should contact state police, maybe video this problem and give it to the local news, start a website to shame these "miscreants," whatever. Something that will have more of a lasting impact that than being a "commute hero."

Here ya go. Go forth and be productive:

http://roads.maryland.gov/Index.aspx?PageId=572
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Driving is not a competition. .
I get the feeling this type of behavior (which is common, not saying this is Molukai's case) is all about insecurity. "All of these MFers are getting ahead of me [subconcious: In life!]. Fellow drivers, band together so that we may preserve my self-respect!"

I think also there are liabilty issues to think of here. Get an accident while blocking the shoulder? Well, you are there just as illegally as the guy trying to pass by. Try arguing in court that you were doing a public service, especially in front of a civil jury. Ain't going to go so well. Blocking emergency vehicles - eek, that's a ticket I don't wish to get.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 4,737 times
"Most" of the people driving down the right shoulder are trying to exit at the far right Mount Vernon ramp to get onto South Washington St (GW Parkway) to head toward DC. The right lane of the Wilson Bridge local lanes backs up with all the cars exiting onto Rt.1. Yes, there are cars that use the shoulder to get closer to the Rt.1 ramp and then cut left back into the Rt. 1 lane. I agree this is not a cool move. However, the majority of the shoulder drivers are just trying to get to the Mt. Vernon ramp which is essentially empty and access to it blocked by the entire Rt.1 line on the bridge. I say let them use the shoulder for this purpose....less cars sitting in the Rt. 1 lane.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,389 times
brian you are absolutely right. But the problem is, for every 3 that are using the shoulder to get to the empty ramp, 1 is forcing themselves onto the alexandria ramp.

also, there is no better path to alexandria from the maryland side. There are only two bridges, and you sure as heck don't want to go the bolling route.

handsupthumbsdown, the police won't do anything for something like this. Also, being upset that people are breaking the law, creating an anarchic environment, AND inconveniencing law-abiding people is not about being insecure. But then again, I shouldn't care what self-appointed psychologists offering unsolicited psychoanalysis say to begin with, so... I won't.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian20675 View Post
"Most" of the people driving down the right shoulder are trying to exit at the far right Mount Vernon ramp to get onto South Washington St (GW Parkway) to head toward DC. The right lane of the Wilson Bridge local lanes backs up with all the cars exiting onto Rt.1. Yes, there are cars that use the shoulder to get closer to the Rt.1 ramp and then cut left back into the Rt. 1 lane. I agree this is not a cool move. However, the majority of the shoulder drivers are just trying to get to the Mt. Vernon ramp which is essentially empty and access to it blocked by the entire Rt.1 line on the bridge. I say let them use the shoulder for this purpose....less cars sitting in the Rt. 1 lane.
For those motorists who actually illegally use the shoulder to exit at Route 1, I suggest the motorists in the regular lane should follow each other's bumpers very closely and absolutely not make room to let them in. Otherwise, they are a part of the problem by encouraging and enabling the cheaters. America is a democratic country where people wait their turn, in any kind of line. If these cheaters think they are some kind of privileged nobility or royalty who are exempt from the rules, then they should move to a third-world country. Would they cut in a store checkout line? or any other kind of ticket or registration line? No, because there they would have to face verbal complaints by the other shoppers. In a car, on the other hand, they can smugly roll up their windows and think they're anonymous, sealed-off and unapproachable.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
also, there is no better path to alexandria from the maryland side. There are only two bridges, and you sure as heck don't want to go the bolling route.
Use the Eisenhower Ave ramp on the thru lanes or take the Telegraph Road exit on the local lanes or you can take the Mt Vernon ramp yourself. You will likely spend less time backtracking a few blocks than you would sitting in the right lane. The issue is with Route 1. You would have to cross the Wilson Bridge but there are more than one exit for Alexandria. There are no issue with the Beltway lanes itself. As for the ramp itself ,The ramp to Mt. Vernon should not have its own dedicated lane which encourages people to use the shoulder knowing that lane will open up.

You could follow slowlane's suggestion as well but I think it is counter-productive. I would wait until the ramp splits into two and not block the shoulder lane. If their car is already in position to cut ahead of you, just let them in.

When the road is congested, you actually want to back off rather than close in to reduce braking. Once everyone plays along, the lane flows better. It's best to move at a slower yet constant speed rather than stopping and go. The lane is too crowded so quit driving so close to each other. If someone was to cut in which is the issue here, they would have no impact since you are still moving.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Turns out that I was right about VDOT. VDOT tells you to get in the right lane for Route 1 on the bridge but once you cross into Virginia it fails to tell the driver which lane to stay in when the single lane abruptly splits into three ramps. The only one that is clear to drivers is Route 1 South. This is why people force themselves on the ramp. Route 1 in both directions shares the same lane but splits while Mt. Vernon exit gets its own lane but looking at the signage, you wouldn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland