Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times

Advertisements

Another Suitland High School student killed in double shooting - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

So apparently now 6th kids have been killed this school year. What if anything can be done? So sad to hear this, but what I want to know is how can they prevent or at least curb this violence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Not much short of repressive measures which the community won't stand for and could be illegal. Maybe PG could do stop and frisk but in an overwhelmingly Black liberal county that will probably never happen.

The culture needs to change but that's easier said than done.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Another Suitland High School student killed in double shooting - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

So apparently now 6th kids have been killed this school year. What if anything can be done? So sad to hear this, but what I want to know is how can they prevent or at least curb this violence?

There is no real solution for this issue. As sad as it may be, this has been going on in urban neighborhoods for decades. Changing the cultural mindset of teen violence is not something that has a quick fix if there is a fix at all.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Videos on FOX 5 News WTTG Washington DC - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

So why do they keep harking on the fact that crime is down? Sure it's a fact, but when people send their kids out to school and don't know if they will come back alive, it becomes disturbing.

Also why are they using these things to address gun legislation? Are guns really the issue?

I just feel as though we will continue to have the same stupid conversation with no solution. The culture indeed needs to change, not gun laws. There is an obvious problem with the way young people value themselves as well as the way they value other's lives and it seems that all we do is just kick the can down the road and never address the real problems. I mean shouldn't we really be asking why someone would kill another human being over some shoes? Or at least why killing has become so acceptable amongst the youth? I'm just tired of people making tragedies like this, into political points.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
One word needs to change if you want to stop violence like this.

"poverty"

Poverty = Financial Struggle = Low Morale = Little to lose = Senseless acts of violence to gain nice things

Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Videos on FOX 5 News WTTG Washington DC - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

So why do they keep harking on the fact that crime is down? Sure it's a fact, but when people send their kids out to school and don't know if they will come back alive, it becomes disturbing.

Also why are they using these things to address gun legislation? Are guns really the issue?

I just feel as though we will continue to have the same stupid conversation with no solution. The culture indeed needs to change, not gun laws. There is an obvious problem with the way young people value themselves as well as the way they value other's lives and it seems that all we do is just kick the can down the road and never address the real problems. I mean shouldn't we really be asking why someone would kill another human being over some shoes? Or at least why killing has become so acceptable amongst the youth? I'm just tired of people making tragedies like this, into political points.
The powers that be want to desperately change the image of the county. I wish them well and I know the violence is concentrated inside the Beltway but folks looking to invest are not going to make that distinction for the most part.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
One word needs to change if you want to stop violence like this.

"poverty"

Poverty = Financial Struggle = Low Morale = Little to lose = Senseless acts of violence to gain nice things
Sorry poverty does not equal moral depravity. El Paso has the highest food stamp usage of any large city and sits across the border from one of Mexico's most violent cities. Yet it was rated once again as the safest big city in the country.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,327 times
[quote=pgtvatitans;28332079]Videos on FOX 5 News WTTG Washington DC - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG[quote]

Quote:
I think the main reason why is because they want to change the overall perception of the county. As disturbing as this may be, it is still an anomaly and not the norm. Most kids do come home at the end of the day.

Quote:
Just like anything else it's political foder. You know the average person could care less about these things unless a catastrophic event occurs. That emotion is what proponents use to incite change. As your statement infers guns are not the issue, its the displacement of values and the lack of respect for others that has now become a part of society's character.

Quote:
I agree but as bad as it may be society isn't fed up enough to truly change the new norm. Until that happens this conversation will continue over and over again.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM

68 posts, read 121,992 times
A few things to note.

1) I feel deeply sorry for the victims and their families.
2) There are so many variables. How does one determine a human life is worth less than a pair of shoes or boots? Why are some people willing to risk life in prison over a $100 pair of shoes (you can make that amount of money in one day at McDonald's)? What variables lead up to this?
3) Why is it everytime there is a murder in Fairfax county the media lists the specific city but if a murder happens anywhere in PG county they don't mention the city in the headline as if the media is purposely trying to make the whole county seem dangerous

Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
As your statement infers guns are not the issue, its the displacement of values and the lack of respect for others that has now become a part of society's character.
I think that guns are a big issue and America is always cited as the country, a "free" society, with the most gun violence and the most prisoners. Yes, as we can all agree, a gun by itself cannot kill. But do we really think our society is psychologically stable or mature enough to use guns, which are essentially weapons, for sport? History says otherwise. Remove guns, and most assuredly you remove the opportunity to use them in a lot of situations. In urban areas, guns are used mainly by punks who are to scared to man-up and duke it out with fists or find guns as an easy way to get rid of a problem or as an outlet to anger. In addition, I'm sure there would be less robberies by those who use guns as threats to get what they want. I'd take my chances with a person with a stick, rock, or knife any day. It's called use your feet. Trust me, criminals are lazy in this country. They'd just rather point and shoot than to chase someone down for $5. There are many examples in current societies around the world where guns are scarce and the murder rates are incredibly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland