Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blochwave View Post
If i can jump in, I was looking at The Meridian at Bowie apartments, which are in what I'm assuming is the "E" section (I can put two and two together!)

Y'all are talking about more crime and worse areas than the other, nicer parts of Bowie, but in an absolute sense, is it particularly bad for, say, a single guy? I understand I'm not in the nicest, safest city on earth (we're probably in the wrong country for that, sadly), but if I'm living away from the urban centers like downtown Silver Spring, I'd like to get some of the benefits that are supposed to come with that, like less crime.

This website (which I just stumbled onto) seems to imply the specific neighborhood the apartments are in are sorta separated from the higher crime areas by Mitchelville Road: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Does that ring true to you guys?
Someone was recently robbed while sitting out front at the Meridian. Crazy.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 8,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Someone was recently robbed while sitting out front at the Meridian. Crazy.
Ah, here's the story: Police: Bowie Man Robbed at Gunpoint on Elder Oaks Boulevard - Bowie, MD Patch

That's a pretty bold crime! Makes me wonder, I usually don't have cash on me, so what happens when I tell the guy he's SOL unless he wants to dig through the change in my car?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
They will rob you of your iPhone/Android/ or $200+ shoes that you have on. Then just beat you or pistol whip you. Im not joking either

Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 756 times
Hey Everyone:

This thread is great!!! I looking to buy in Bowie early part of 2020. Is there good Bowie neighborhoods you guys recommend? From the thread, I see 20715, 20721, and parts of 20720 are good. Is this still good assessment?

Thanks!!!

Old 12-18-2019, 05:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fred View Post
Hey Everyone:

This thread is great!!! I looking to buy in Bowie early part of 2020. Is there good Bowie neighborhoods you guys recommend? From the thread, I see 20715, 20721, and parts of 20720 are good. Is this still good assessment?

Thanks!!!
Depends on your price range and what you're looking for. Are schools and shopping important to you? There's two main types if neighborhoods in Bowie. On one hand you have the older smaller Levitt built houses near 450 Belair DR , Rockledge and Yorktown. You also have the newer larger neighborhoods like Saddlebrook, Glenallen, and Northwood.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 AM

109 posts, read 119,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
The Pointer Ridge area (south Bowie, late 60's and early 70's Levitt neighborhoods) are not as safe or desirable as north Bowie. The contemporary 70's housing line (Peach Walker Drive area and Nottinghill Drive in S. Bowie) are not holding up well. Many homes are in disrepair with yards overgrown or homeowners have tried to turn the houses into more "colonial" designs, rather unsuccessfully. It looks junky and messy, IMO compared to the well-manicured streets of north Bowie. There are far more rentals, Section 8 vouchers and group homes in Pointer Ridge than other parts of town. Break ins, armed robberies, and car thefts are not unheard of in Pointer Ridge. The only section in 20716 I would consider on a $300,000 budget is Holiday Hills.

While I don't think anyone is in terrible danger in South Bowie, I think it's best to look at all options. You will see many of the same floorplan/home designs that you can find in North Bowie in Pointer Ridge for significantly less money. There is a reason for this.
The bolded above is purely racialized language with no basis in fact. "Safe and desirable" is specifically coded language, but what basis do you have to say this other than that there are more black faces in South Bowie (which is the only reason the houses are more affordable--look at our history if you need more explanation on that).

There is no rampant crime, section 8 or rentals to any greater extent than there are in North Bowie. South Bowie is actually really beautiful and have that brand new library there that is top notch. Its more rural since it is closer to Upper Marlboro, but that's about it. I've driven through their plenty of times and the only difference I see is that there are more black faces that way than up North.
You are actively trying to stir people away from an area simply because it is black, which is actually the cause of any future problems the neighborhood might face. That's disgusting.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:27 AM

80 posts, read 86,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittilove View Post
The bolded above is purely racialized language with no basis in fact. "Safe and desirable" is specifically coded language, but what basis do you have to say this other than that there are more black faces in South Bowie (which is the only reason the houses are more affordable--look at our history if you need more explanation on that).

There is no rampant crime, section 8 or rentals to any greater extent than there are in North Bowie. South Bowie is actually really beautiful and have that brand new library there that is top notch. Its more rural since it is closer to Upper Marlboro, but that's about it. I've driven through their plenty of times and the only difference I see is that there are more black faces that way than up North.
You are actively trying to stir people away from an area simply because it is black, which is actually the cause of any future problems the neighborhood might face. That's disgusting.
It’s a post from 2013, maybe Bowie was different back then,

Old 06-12-2020, 01:47 PM

109 posts, read 119,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticH View Post
It’s a post from 2013, maybe Bowie was different back then,

It was not any different back then than it is now. Since 2013, crime in Bowie has not increased any more than crime any other place (with population increases).

Old 06-12-2020, 02:45 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
The Pointer Ridge area (south Bowie, late 60's and early 70's Levitt neighborhoods) are not as safe or desirable as north Bowie. The contemporary 70's housing line (Peach Walker Drive area and Nottinghill Drive in S. Bowie) are not holding up well. Many homes are in disrepair with yards overgrown or homeowners have tried to turn the houses into more "colonial" designs, rather unsuccessfully. It looks junky and messy, IMO compared to the well-manicured streets of north Bowie. There are far more rentals, Section 8 vouchers and group homes in Pointer Ridge than other parts of town. Break ins, armed robberies, and car thefts are not unheard of in Pointer Ridge. The only section in 20716 I would consider on a $300,000 budget is Holiday Hills.

While I don't think anyone is in terrible danger in South Bowie, I think it's best to look at all options. You will see many of the same floorplan/home designs that you can find in North Bowie in Pointer Ridge for significantly less money. There is a reason for this.
Peach Walker Drive:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9184...7i16384!8i8192

Nottinghill Drive
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9302...7i16384!8i8192

disrepair? overgorwn yards? junky? messy?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
According to the data on this site Bowie is safer than Fairfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland