Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times

Advertisements

Peterson Cos/Tanger Outlets announced today that they will partner again to develop a Tanger Outlet center in Clarksburg, Maryland. No timeline has been discussed but it will serve the DC Metro area from Montgomery Co. side. My first thought when reading the article is will this outlet be significantly different from the one being built at the National Harbor. Is it possible that this second one could cancel out or overshadow the National Harbor property. It would also be interesting to know what the tipping point would be for the metro area. Including this property, I count about 6 outlets in near proximity to DC. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Tanger Outlet Centers and Peterson Companies Announce Plans to Develop Upscale Outlet Center - WSJ.com

Quote:
Tanger Factory Outlet Centers, Inc., (NYSE:SKT) and Peterson Companies announced today plans to develop an upscale outlet center in Clarksburg, Maryland. This announcement follows the two companies' successful groundbreaking and ongoing development of Tanger Outlets National Harbor scheduled to open for Holiday 2013.

The new outlet center, currently in the pre-development stage, will be co-owned by Tanger Outlet Centers and Peterson Companies and will be branded as Tanger Outlets. Tanger and Peterson expect to jointly provide site development and construction supervision services to the venture. Tanger Outlet Centers expects to provide management services, leasing and marketing for the outlet project.

The highly visible outlet parcel is located 27 miles northwest of Washington, D.C. and 36 miles west of Baltimore at the interchange of I-270 & Stringtown Road in Clarksburg, Maryland. I-270 is the major north/south interstate feeding Montgomery County, metro DC, Baltimore and Frederick, Maryland.

"This partnership with Peterson Companies is strategically designed to deliver a world class outlet center to this exciting Mid-Atlantic market. We believe this new Tanger Outlet Center will be a must-visit value destination and an exceptional experience for our shoppers," said Steven B. Tanger, President and Chief Executive Officer of Tanger Factory Outlet Centers, Inc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...187f_blog.html

Quote:
Tanger Outlets has teamed with local developer Milt Peterson to plan an upscale outlet center for a 100-acre property along Ten Mile Creek in Clarksburg, but the county is still weighing whether to allow the project to proceed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM

377 posts, read 665,223 times
Seems far enough away that it wouldn't impact NH.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
I think this will have a tough time getting approval given the strong emphisis on Smart Growth and Storm water management. Montgomery County has been tough on upper county development in the past so we will just wait and see

Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM

84 posts, read 135,210 times
Has there been an new updates on NH Tanger Outlets? Last time I was over there road construction was happening in a major way and they stood up framing for some building.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Still slogging along on the road work and the framing is growing more and more. Anyone know what is being built in the lot next to the CVS down from tanger on Oxen Hill?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Seems far enough away that it wouldn't impact NH.
That was my initial thought too but then I wondered (if the other one is actually approved) would that have an impact on recruiting/retaining higher quality stores for the NH Outlet. That would probably be a greater concern that foot traffic. We'll see.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Still slogging along on the road work and the framing is growing more and more. Anyone know what is being built in the lot next to the CVS down from tanger on Oxen Hill?
Good question. There is nothing on the books at PG Planning Board's website.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Good question. There is nothing on the books at PG Planning Board's website.

Pretty big lot and they are doing the drainage/pipping for something.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Seems silly if you ask me. It certainly is far away but without knowing how successful they will be in the DC market, they are already deciding to build another one. It may turn out to be a good risk, but it's definitely a risk. The other thing I would consider, is the concentration of malls in that part of MD. Frederick isn't far, Columbia is down the road, you have Gaithersburg, and Rockville that all have some type of mall/town center. Usually these type of places are usually in destination locations. There isn't really much of a need in that immediately area as far as I know. How many people will end up going to Clarksburg just to go to this mall?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 AM

74 posts, read 171,001 times
I do not understand the need for so many outlet properties in a metro area, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland