Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times

Advertisements

To me fine dining is what you see at National Harbor and in Downtown DC.

Bond 45
Rosa Mexicana
Ocean Aire
Fogo De Chao
Ruth's Chris
Wildfire (Tysons)
Mon Ami Gabi
Capital Grille
etc.

Cheesecake Factory has always been a tad too loud for me. That doesn't scream fine dining. It's a classy TGIFridays, in my very humble opinion. Upscale? Definitely. Fine dining? Not. And you can always distinguish a restaurant by its wine list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
To me fine dining is what you see at National Harbor and in Downtown DC.

Bond 45
Rosa Mexicana
Ocean Aire
Fogo De Chao
Ruth's Chris
Wildfire (Tysons)
Mon Ami Gabi
Capital Grille
etc.

Cheesecake Factory has always been a tad too loud for me. That doesn't scream fine dining. It's a classy TGIFridays, in my very humble opinion. Upscale? Definitely. Fine dining? Not. And you can always distinguish a restaurant by its wine list.
I have yet to eat at Fogo De Chao, I heard nothing but great reviews.

If we are looking at different cuisines, would anyone consider Benihana (Bethesda) fine dining? Also what about Kobe at the BLVD, or McCormick and Schmicks?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
CF is a chain restaurant like the rest. The rest of their food is ho-hum IMO and like someone else mentioned, making a cheesecake isn't all that hard. Why don't they put one at NH if it is the cat's meow? Other cities have great restaurants that aren't chains, that is the problem we have in this area. There are no stand alone eateries of renown - Ben's Chili Bowl does not count - in the area or people would be crowing about them rather than bashing Dead Lobster(they basically are at that point), Crapplebees, Olive Garden(not bad if you are doing soup/salad for lunch), or other faceless chain stores.

Benihana used to be a chain restaurant but OK if you like the Japanese steakhouse treatment.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
CF is a chain restaurant like the rest. The rest of their food is ho-hum IMO and like someone else mentioned, making a cheesecake isn't all that hard. Why don't they put one at NH if it is the cat's meow? Other cities have great restaurants that aren't chains, that is the problem we have in this area. There are no stand alone eateries of renown - Ben's Chili Bowl does not count - in the area or people would be crowing about them rather than bashing Dead Lobster(they basically are at that point), Crapplebees, Olive Garden(not bad if you are doing soup/salad for lunch), or other faceless chain stores.

Benihana used to be a chain restaurant but OK if you like the Japanese steakhouse treatment.

I'm a foodie. Which is probably why I'm not impressed with CF. But DC does have a few nationally and even world renown non-chain restaurants headed by nationally recognized chefs. Look at Washingtonian Magazine's Top 100 Restaurant Guide. Sure Ruth's Chris and Fogo De Chao may be chains, but they offer a fine dining experience as if they were a single proprietor. I like what College Park and Hyattsville have set up where they encourage local proprietors. Which is why so many people are pissed that College Park accepted Dennys to come in. We already had a wonderful breakfast diner in Platos. IHOP is a mile up the road. Why do we need a Dennys? Oh well.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,181 times
I would be willing to eat pancakes at Denny's, but a HUGE difference between Plato's and Denny's is in their lunch and dinner offerings. Plato's is a diner that actually cooks their food and makes original recipes. I think of it more as a diner/restaurant and Denny's is nowhere near that.

While we were doing work getting our house ready to sell, the kids and I were eating at Plato's twice a week !

Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,004 times
Quote:
I'm a foodie. Which is probably why I'm not impressed with CF. But DC does have a few nationally and even world renown non-chain restaurants headed by nationally recognized chefs. Look at Washingtonian Magazine's Top 100 Restaurant Guide. Sure Ruth's Chris and Fogo De Chao may be chains, but they offer a fine dining experience as if they were a single proprietor. I like what College Park and Hyattsville have set up where they encourage local proprietors. Which is why so many people are pissed that College Park accepted Dennys to come in. We already had a wonderful breakfast diner in Platos. IHOP is a mile up the road. Why do we need a Dennys? Oh well.
Where is this Denny's? I dont under stand the need when there are arady 2 diners on Rt1 plus IHOP

Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Where is this Denny's? I dont under stand the need when there are arady 2 diners on Rt1 plus IHOP
It's taking the place of the old Varsity Grill at 8424 Baltimore Ave. The restaurant that has been closed for a while. Perhaps Dennys backed out. An article last year said it was supposed to be open by now. Nothing has changed at the site. No construction at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM

63 posts, read 102,284 times
Wow, a beer blast from the past! I recall having a few brews at the Varsity Grill back in my college daze (UMD Class of '79) and heard tales of bar fights and flying chairs and such. Never witnessed that...or pigs that fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82

It's taking the place of the old Varsity Grill at 8424 Baltimore Ave. The restaurant that has been closed for a while. Perhaps Dennys backed out. An article last year said it was supposed to be open by now. Nothing has changed at the site. No construction at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Sorry, the Cheesecake Factory doesn't count.
Baby steps, adelphi, baby steps. You don't go from a Honda Accord to a Rolls Royce. If a Cheesecake Factory did come, it would be the first in the county. While I understand and agree that the county doesn't need another run of the mill restaurant, be realistic where this county is. Is it realistically going to attract the restaurants you are hoping for? I think that is the most important thing. At this point, the county needs to make progress. If this county wants that kind of restaurant, then it's going to have to prove to that particular business that the juice is worth the squeeze.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Because it doesn't make sense. Most of those restaurants down there are pricey. Cheesecake Factory is a tier below them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland