Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,037,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you know something the rest of us don't?
My bad it's the Whole FOods that's in Riverdale Park Station. I forgot that's what they're calling that development.
The closest TJ would be the one on Rte 29. (silver spring).

My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,644,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Apropos of the discussion up thread on the proximity of grocery stores, and the fact that there are four within one mile on Route 1 in Laurel. Of the four, Safeway is the weakest based, on cars in the lot.
Sunday, at the intersection of Route 1 and Contee Rd there were two kids twirling arrows for the Shoppers which had a Grand Reopening Balloon. IIRC don't believe I've ever seen that before for a grocery store.
I pass that way most days and was unaware it had closed. May be a sign that HT is having a serious impact.
So I asked in SFW re their grand re-opening;
Q: How long were you closed for?
A: We weren't closed at all, we stayed open during remodel.
Q: What remodel? I don't notice anything.
A: We painted.

So for a paint job we get balloons, flags, bunting, and arrow twirlers. Tough market.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 AM

7,075 posts, read 9,516,864 times
Quote:
Well bang, there goes another theory, there are 55 Wal-Mart's within a 50 mile radius of Laurel. Take any small town you like in the US, and see how many Wal-Mart's are within a 50 mile radius.
The point was that for some small towns, Wal-Mart is it. Their options are limited. Some have more than one Wal-Mart, which further decreases their options. They don't have 6 different grocers to choose from within a relatively small distance unlike in a major metropolitan area. Sure, there are Wal-Marts here. And even if there were 100 in a 50 mile radius, numerous other options still exist.

Therefore, as a matter of convenience, small town USA would more than likely shop at Wal-Mart as a matter of convenience because it is the major retail center (no regional or local malls or shopping centers). In a lot of small towns I have traveled through, there is usually one grocery store and then a Wal-Mart or two.

When the teen hangout in a town is at Wal-Mart, then you can understand how limited the options are in other parts of the country.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM

Adelphi, I didn't get the get the point that was trying to be made in the post you reference...so I just left it alone. Glad you tried to make some sense of it.

"Any small town" would not be the reference to try to make the point anyway. Any small more rural town or more isolated town would be a better example, but that wouldn't be comparable or pertinent to the conversation at hand either.

Unless I think the post is relevant I don't even ask people to clarify anymore. Why bother.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The point was that for some small towns, Wal-Mart is it. Their options are limited. Some have more than one Wal-Mart, which further decreases their options. They don't have 6 different grocers to choose from within a relatively small distance unlike in a major metropolitan area. Sure, there are Wal-Marts here. And even if there were 100 in a 50 mile radius, numerous other options still exist.

Therefore, as a matter of convenience, small town USA would more than likely shop at Wal-Mart as a matter of convenience because it is the major retail center (no regional or local malls or shopping centers). In a lot of small towns I have traveled through, there is usually one grocery store and then a Wal-Mart or two.

When the teen hangout in a town is at Wal-Mart, then you can understand how limited the options are in other parts of the country.
No, that wasn't your point at all. Now you're trying to change your story.

You didn't focus on small towns, you focused on Wal-Mart, which exists in towns large and small. Your point was an attack on Wal-Mart, which in and of itself is OK by me, plus a claim that because the DC metro area is "unique" and has other options it didn't need Wal-Mart to the extent others might.

You claimed that DC plus the other top 3-4 metro areas because of their wealth, didn't need to depend on Wal-Mart. The implication of that is that everyone else, from the 6th wealthiest metro area on down is screwed.
What happens if DC drops out of the top 5?

You have a habit of writing in absolute, declarative, and sometimes bombastic sentences, without any supporting evidence at all, that just invites contradiction. Maybe you should take some English comprehension/writing classes.

Here's what you actually said:

Quote:
That is true, but a lot of people may not prefer the Wal-Mart experience or its product offering. And it has nothing to do with, "I wouldn't be caught dead in a discount store." snobbery for some but everything to do with presentation, atmosphere, and customer service.

The DC area is unique in that we are one of about three or four major metro areas that enjoy relatively high incomes. Therefore, we can shun Wal-Mart for a more refined experience across the street at Safeway or Whole Foods if we desire to. While most of us appreciate a good deal, we don't necessarily run to the cheapest stores to shop. and Wal-mart isn't the center of retail for us as it is in a lot of small towns across the country.

In conclusion, even though Whole Foods may be in close proximity to competition such as Wal-Mart and Safeway, they know that they can attract those who are willing to pay for a more upscale shopping experience. I think both Wegmans and Whole Foods both have exceptional shopping experiences. That alone is enough to pull those that can afford it away from the stores with more pedestrian shopping experiences and even the bare bones experience you find in Wal-Mart and Costco. That's what makes Wegman's and Whole Foods stand out from the rest. They both found that niche that they can profit from just like Costco and Wal-Mart focuses on the bargain shopper. Other people are just brand loyal which is probably how 4 different grocery stores can co-exist in Laurel.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/40677824-post187.html

I simply pointed out a factual statement that we have 55 Wal-Marts within 50 miles.
What I knew, because I had looked it up, but didn't say, was that was 10 more than, Wal-Mart's home town HQ of Bentonville Arkansas.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:53 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,540,789 times
Quote:
So I asked in SFW re their grand re-opening;
Q: How long were you closed for?
A: We weren't closed at all, we stayed open during remodel.
Q: What remodel? I don't notice anything.
A: We painted.

So for a paint job we get balloons, flags, bunting, and arrow twirlers. Tough market.

Post #184 , I told you.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 PM

I think the person who posted should know what point they were trying to make.
Whether it's stated effectively or not is a different story.
For example know one me can tell me what MY point is.

You can say you don't GET my point, or that I confused you, or that what I said made no sense if I was trying to prove a given point.........but you can't tell ME whatI was trying to say.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I think the person who posted should know what point they were trying to make.
Whether it's stated effectively or not is a different story.
For example know one me can tell me what MY point is.

You can say you don't GET my point, or that I confused you, or that what I said made no sense if I was trying to prove a given point.........but you can't tell ME whatI was trying to say.
I agree, people should know, but it's not always the case. See the example of your own post below.

The rest of your post is absurd, because you're applying both a double standard and a logical fallacy. You're saying I'm not allowed to interpret someone else' words, but they can interpret mine. Get off that horse.

If someone says what it is they are trying to say, (as is in the referenced case here), then yes I can tell them whether they said it or not, just as anyone can do likewise with me.

Others have every bit as much right as you, to interpret your words. You can't patent or trade mark your words, or claim to give them a meaning at odds with standard dictionary definitions. Language would be meaningless, and society would collapse as a result.

Example:

Quote:
You say: "There was a full moon on the 20th".

I say: "No, there was only a half moon on the 20th, and here's a picture from the Washington Post on the 21st to prove it".

You say: "The point I was trying to make is that the moon is made of cheese".
Your position is that nobody should be able to tell you, that "the moon is made of cheese" is not the point you were trying to make, when you said there was a full moon on the 20th.

I hope you can see how absurd that would be, because I have news for you.

When a writer is unable to express themselves coherently, that's not the reader's problem, that's the writer's problem.

And on the topic of coherence, what exactly were you trying to say in your post below anyway?

Quote:
Adelphi, I didn't get the get the point that was trying to be made in the post you reference...so I just left it alone. Glad you tried to make some sense of it.

"Any small town" would not be the reference to try to make the point anyway. Any small more rural town or more isolated town would be a better example, but that wouldn't be comparable or pertinent to the conversation at hand either.

Unless I think the post is relevant I don't even ask people to clarify anymore. Why bother.
The First Whole Foods In Prince George's County

More rural or more isolated, than what?

The point of what you wrote, is not point of what you hoped or intended to write, because you didn't write what you intended to write, because as I've pointed out what you wrote is meaningless without the what.

For me to be wrong about that claim, it would have had to have been your goal or intention to write something meaningless, and I'm still unwilling to attribute that motive to you........yet. Unless of course you want to prove me wrong by confirming that it was your intention to write something meaningless.

The point of what you wrote above, is that you didn't get the point of what I wrote, and that's your problem not mine. You were unable to coherently express that you couldn't understand the relevance of the factual statement that there are 55 Wal-Mart's within a 50 mile radius of Laurel, in a discussion about grocery stores.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Post #184 , I told you.
Are you "dubious" that you told me? If not, what are you dubious about?
I'll confirm it, yes you did tell me, but you qualified it, to say "after a big remodel".

Are you prepared to go on record confirming that in your view a coat of paint constitutes "a big remodel"? Just a straightforward yes or no will do.

The obvious difference is that your comment at #184was general in nature, mine specific.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
because you didn't write what you intended to write,
May I ask how YOU know what I INTENDED to write?
YOU know MY INTENTION?

Please educate me to know how that's possible.
Thank you.

Quote:
You were unable to coherently express that you couldn't understand the relevance of the factual statement that there are 55 Wal-Mart's within a 50 mile radius of Laurel,
You PRESUME I could not coherently express that I didn't "understand the relevance of the factual statement that there are 55 Wal-Mart's within a 50 mile radius of Laurel." Just because a person does NOT do something does mean they CAN'T do something.

But given that YOU can tell ME what MY intent was, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that YOU can ALSO tell ME what I was not ABLE to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland