Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
They say, Frederick is just a suburb of Montgomery County. Sure feels that way. That small town feel vanished a while back.
I maintain that Frederick city and other places along I-270 in the county are essentially an extension of upper Montgomery County, while other places like Thurmont and Brunswick are still radically different. Most new development is happening along I-270 anyway.

Frederick wouldn't actually be that bad of a choice for the OP (prices are lower than most of MoCo and schools are pretty good), but it is relatively detached compared to lower MoCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsol09 View Post
Can't imagine asking locals for advice and then telling them that where they live has no soul and is a pseudo-city. This is an incredibly insensitive and rude OP and I'm surprised anyone bothered to answer sincerely when the tone of the inquiry was unpleasant and downright insulting in many ways.
Eh, I'm a local and I thought it was an accurate assessment

Old 02-19-2014, 03:06 PM

299 posts, read 556,596 times
Default Nope... brutal honestly is closer to the truth!

I don't think it's rude when you're just being honest.

You can "candy coat" things like some people prefer to do, but my experience with this area mirrors the OP's comments pretty closely, unfortunately.

Fact: DC itself is a unique construct. Look at all the DC license plates with the slogan on them, "Taxation Without Representation"! It's a Federal district, not a standard city at all! It's a bit like "Vatican City" is to the Catholic Church.

As for the surrounding "metro area"? Again, I say the lack of "soul" is a pretty factual claim. As someone said in another thread about the area - most people here are transplants from all over the place, only drawn here for the job opportunities (largely created by our government). There's not much sense of people having "roots" here. Everything with any ethnic flavor is haphazardly scattered around, mingled with chain stores and generic retailers and service industries.

Personally, I stand with the people who recommended to the original poster to look at outlying areas, vs. anything in Montgomery County itself. If you look at Clarksburg, MD for example, you'll find a town with real history and a small historic district, yet at the same time showing signs of growth and new development. It requires a bit more of a commute if you work in Rockville, Bethesda or DC -- but not really that much more of one, vs. more reasonable housing prices and a less "structured, planned community" feel to the whole area. By the same token, we're trying to buy a home out in Brunswick, MD for the same reasons. It's a small, former railroad town, with a history to it and a small, close-knit community where "everybody knows and looks out for everyone else in town". It still gets the fact that $250,000 is not just "peanuts" when shopping for a house, because the median income there is still more down to earth. The MARC train provides a fairly workable way to do the commute to the DC area from there (and that time spent on the train is YOUR time to read a book, listen to music, or whatever -- since you're not the one doing the driving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsol09 View Post
Can't imagine asking locals for advice and then telling them that where they live has no soul and is a pseudo-city. This is an incredibly insensitive and rude OP and I'm surprised anyone bothered to answer sincerely when the tone of the inquiry was unpleasant and downright insulting in many ways.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,395 times
Unless you absolutely have to, don't move. I used to live in Philly (oh how I miss my apartment on 3rd and Race), but got married and moved to Gaithersburg (super close to Rockville). If I could move back to Philly, I'd do it in less than a heartbeat. Seriously. The crime, the price tag, quality of living... just... pretty much everything, really isn't worth it.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss_girl View Post
Unless you absolutely have to, don't move. I used to live in Philly (oh how I miss my apartment on 3rd and Race), but got married and moved to Gaithersburg (super close to Rockville). If I could move back to Philly, I'd do it in less than a heartbeat. Seriously. The crime, the price tag, quality of living... just... pretty much everything, really isn't worth it.
plus Philly is what I consider, a great spot on the map. Just an hour to beaches, to NY City, good sports town, China town, its a good city

Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
I don't think it's rude when you're just being honest.

You can "candy coat" things like some people prefer to do, but my experience with this area mirrors the OP's comments pretty closely, unfortunately.

Fact: DC itself is a unique construct. Look at all the DC license plates with the slogan on them, "Taxation Without Representation"! It's a Federal district, not a standard city at all! It's a bit like "Vatican City" is to the Catholic Church.

As for the surrounding "metro area"? Again, I say the lack of "soul" is a pretty factual claim. As someone said in another thread about the area - most people here are transplants from all over the place, only drawn here for the job opportunities (largely created by our government). There's not much sense of people having "roots" here. Everything with any ethnic flavor is haphazardly scattered around, mingled with chain stores and generic retailers and service industries.

Personally, I stand with the people who recommended to the original poster to look at outlying areas, vs. anything in Montgomery County itself. If you look at Clarksburg, MD for example, you'll find a town with real history and a small historic district, yet at the same time showing signs of growth and new development. It requires a bit more of a commute if you work in Rockville, Bethesda or DC -- but not really that much more of one, vs. more reasonable housing prices and a less "structured, planned community" feel to the whole area. By the same token, we're trying to buy a home out in Brunswick, MD for the same reasons. It's a small, former railroad town, with a history to it and a small, close-knit community where "everybody knows and looks out for everyone else in town". It still gets the fact that $250,000 is not just "peanuts" when shopping for a house, because the median income there is still more down to earth. The MARC train provides a fairly workable way to do the commute to the DC area from there (and that time spent on the train is YOUR time to read a book, listen to music, or whatever -- since you're not the one doing the driving).
Its tough to disagree with some of this and if you get upset, you're being overly sensitive. I've lived here my entire life, no, DC isnt New York, it isn't Philly or Boston. But its coming around, it's just taking a 100 years to do so. The jobs are here, so people come and its always been a town of transplants, although I know tons of locals who grew up here. It is what it is, a lousy sports town yeah, beaches are far, but also plently to do here, its the nations capitol, lots of history, weather isnt that bad, I mean come on, no soul? Not sure about that, its all about what you like, your relationships, where you live and work, you can't just diss an entire major metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland