Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM

7,069 posts, read 9,491,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Well in MoCo and NoVA its a mix of former DC and PG people moving out there and two, you have a lot of wannabe thugs out there, PG is going downhill because of DC and DC used to be terrible because of the MLK riots and the after effects. I guess you can say its the Gov't's fault why things are the way they are. If slavery and Jim Crow never existed America either wouldn't have that many black people (or none at all) or if it did things would probably have turned out way different. If someone want's to be technical its a game of blame whitey, but I'm not racist and I don't paint broad brushes on any race of ethnicity. That said, it is what it is I'm not trying to be Louis Farrakhan on here though.
Do you have any stats on DC and PG reverse migration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 PM

629 posts, read 942,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Those areas are nothing like Baltimore.

As mentioned when crime does occur, it will generally be property theft or within some distance of a place with a high rate of section 8 holders.

Silver Spring is a very LARGE area which extends from downtown core all the way out to your typical suburbia. There are both nice and not so nice areas but I can't really think of any not-so-nice areas in SS. Wheaton is somewhat gentrifying but it previously was a hot bed for MS13 and other types of crime. Not sure if it is still the case now. Germantown and Mont Village as other said isn't really anything near dangerous. I don't think they are either.
I live in Montgomery Village and there are some neighborhoods I would avoid at night. There is some MS-13 activity up here, but they tend not to mess with people who aren't already involved. Mostly I think the area is safe, in a sort of urban sense of safe. You don't flaunt your bling or leave your door unlocked or **** people off (or, as someone once put it, "avoid arguments and adultery") and you should be all right.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,516,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Do you have any stats on DC and PG reverse migration?
I saw an article once, I gotta find the link But reverse migration makes a lot of sense if you think about it. If you have a section 8 voucher you can move anywhere and the fact that people know PG is becoming DC part II they are looking into other areas. There are apartment complexes in MoCo and NoVA that barely had any black people in 2000. Now its a different story the apartment complexes in Silver Spring off Lockwood drive and Castle blvd in Briggs Chaney didn't have no real crime problems until DC started rapidly knocking down projects. In NoVa a good percentage of the black people you see living off of Rt. 1 are ex DC and PG residents. PG residents to NoVa by loads to Prince William County and southern Fairfax counties because its just like PG forreal, and stuff is cheaper out there.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 AM

7,069 posts, read 9,491,192 times
Quote:
the fact that people know PG is becoming DC part II
DC Part II? What does that mean?

they are looking into other areas. There are apartment complexes in MoCo and NoVA that barely had any black people in 2000.

Quote:
Now its a different story the apartment complexes in Silver Spring off Lockwood drive and Castle blvd in Briggs Chaney didn't have no real crime problems until DC started rapidly knocking down projects.
Do you have any data that correlates DC gentrification and the increase in crime in MoCo as a result?

Quote:
In NoVa a good percentage of the black people you see living off of Rt. 1 are ex DC and PG residents.
What's your source? That would be interesting.

Quote:
PG residents to NoVa by loads to Prince William County and southern Fairfax counties because its just like PG forreal, and stuff is cheaper out there.
Cheaper? NoVa and MoCo are known to be more affluent than DC and PG. And you mean to say that low-income people from DC and PG are migrating to these more expensive areas?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM

544 posts, read 1,043,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
You don't flaunt your bling or leave your door unlocked or **** people off (or, as someone once put it, "avoid arguments and adultery") and you should be all right.
Good advice everywhere. That said, my garage door sometimes doesn't close and I've left for the day with it still open. No one's ever taken a thing, though.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

490 posts, read 919,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
For the most part it is. The MoCo government is spending like there is no tomorrow and isn't enforcing the laws such as illegal immigration and this can turn what was once nice communities into unwelcoming areas. Sad but somewhat true.

what are you talking about???.......Yes Montgomery is spending like there no tomorrow, but that only to stay equal to NOVA........I don't see any areas in Montgomery county that are wealthy...are now becoming unwelcoming.......You and MAHATMA [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"]Don't understand is Montgomery government WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!.........the areas that your talking about such as Downtown SS and Wheaton are seeing corporate/residential growth....the prices are raising........Silver spring is becoming more and more expensive.......MAHATMA continues to stay focus on the Bad Apples that I stated like piney branch, 3800 castle blvd, and fox chapel, wannabe hoods in Gaithersburg ( small percentage) that doesn't stop the wealth of Montgomery Couny........as long as the job market in D.C. area continues to grow.......the prices will continue grow.....[/color]

Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,040,844 times
Quote:
I saw an article once, I gotta find the link But reverse migration makes a lot of sense if you think about it. If you have a section 8 voucher you can move anywhere and the fact that people know PG is becoming DC part II they are looking into other areas. There are apartment complexes in MoCo and NoVA that barely had any black people in 2000. Now its a different story the apartment complexes in Silver Spring off Lockwood drive and Castle blvd in Briggs Chaney didn't have no real crime problems until DC started rapidly knocking down projects. In NoVa a good percentage of the black people you see living off of Rt. 1 are ex DC and PG residents. PG residents to NoVa by loads to Prince William County and southern Fairfax counties because its just like PG forreal, and stuff is cheaper out there.
Dunno about this insofar as Fairfax is concerned. I just looked at the census data for the Lorton area zip code, which includes the southern-most part of Route 1 in Fairfax County just before you get into Woodbridge. The entire Lorton area grew between 2000 and 2010, due to the residential development that followed the closing of the prison, but the growth in the black population (20%) lagged the growth in the Asian (344%), Hispanic (64%), and white (43%) populations.

If you go a bit further north, in the area off Route 1 near Fort Belvoir, during the same 10-year period, the Asian population grew 129%, the Hispanic population grew 33%, the white population grew 26%, and the black population declined 15%.

It makes me wonder whether, if some blacks are leaving PG County because of a fear of "DC part II," they aren't more likely to head to Montgomery, further south in Maryland like Charles County, or elsewhere in VA, rather than to Fairfax. There has been a big growth in the Asian and Hispanic populations in Fairfax over the past 15 years, but I don't think these folks are relocating from DC or PG.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Honestly, the only places in MoCo with a noticeable amount of crime are parts of Wheaton, far inner-city/downtown Silver Spring, and maybe Calverton - and even then it's certainly far less than Baltimore. Don't worry about crime too much in MoCo.
Calverton is only debatable because of its share of the area with pg county, around the Beltstville area which is not in anyway ghetto but does hold a lot of low income apartments. White oak which isn't far from their is not great as well but not bad too. But B-more is ona whole other level not even comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland