Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,496,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
More bad news for Bowie Town Center. This is from an article about Macy's closing 100 more stores. The DC area stores were the focus.

Here is the part about Bowie Town Center:

There is a Macy's at the Mall at Prince George's which I think will be one of the 100 stores closing even though it wasn't mentioned in the article. It has always lacked lighting and would qualify as "dumpy." The rugs were worn well past their use. And items found at other higher end shopping center Macy's stores couldn't be found at the Prince George's store.

Now, do I think the impact will be deadly? Not so much. Here's why. PREIT, the owner of the mall has just announced a redevelopment investment of more than $20 million to upgrade the mall. Not only does this upgrade include the facility itself, they also plan to upgrade the retail offerings. H&M is the first example of that upgrade.

This from the article:

While the Mall at Prince George's may not ever get a Nordstrom Rack, they have already added the off-price T.J.Maxx and H&M stores. They also have Old Navy. So, the mall is already transforming itself into what attracts Millennials.

What do I think will replace Macy's at the mall? Well, recall that PREIT said they wanted to add a family entertainment concept to the mall. The Macy's store would be a perfect size for such an establishment without having to add additional space outside of the mall.

Is PREIT therefore hoping that Macy's closes at their mall, perhaps. It may be a win/win for both.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tand-a-chance/
Dang. I like when I read something that agrees with what I wrote.

Here is PREIT's response in their August update:

Quote:
Macy’s thoughts
— Anticipated impact is manageable
— Several interested backfills

— Macy’s investment in retained store fleet will
strengthen the best asset in many markets
elevating many core malls

https://investors.preit.com/download...r+Brochure.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 PM

340 posts, read 372,726 times
I'm not so sure that Macy's will close. It does look a bit dodgy like you said, but they also may feel like sticking around to see how improvements to the mall affect their outlook in the mall.

If they do replace it, a Dick's Sporting Goods would be a nice get, there are no sporting goods stores for miles from that area. I'd look to Springfield Mall as guidance for how they'll look to renovate PG Mall. The dynamic is a bit different but the explanation's that I've seen sound like they want something similar aesthetically. Restaurants and Entertainment facing East-West Highway with immediate entry from outside.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:59 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,790,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
More bad news for Bowie Town Center. This is from an article about Macy's closing 100 more stores. The DC area stores were the focus.

Here is the part about Bowie Town Center:

There is a Macy's at the Mall at Prince George's which I think will be one of the 100 stores closing even though it wasn't mentioned in the article. It has always lacked lighting and would qualify as "dumpy." The rugs were worn well past their use. And items found at other higher end shopping center Macy's stores couldn't be found at the Prince George's store.

Now, do I think the impact will be deadly? Not so much. Here's why. PREIT, the owner of the mall has just announced a redevelopment investment of more than $20 million to upgrade the mall. Not only does this upgrade include the facility itself, they also plan to upgrade the retail offerings. H&M is the first example of that upgrade.

This from the article:

While the Mall at Prince George's may not ever get a Nordstrom Rack, they have already added the off-price T.J.Maxx and H&M stores. They also have Old Navy. So, the mall is already transforming itself into what attracts Millennials.

What do I think will replace Macy's at the mall? Well, recall that PREIT said they wanted to add a family entertainment concept to the mall. The Macy's store would be a perfect size for such an establishment without having to add additional space outside of the mall.

Is PREIT therefore hoping that Macy's closes at their mall, perhaps. It may be a win/win for both.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tand-a-chance/
I dont think PG will ever attract rich ppl but that macys is dead anyway. i went there last week. that mall represents the area its in so can’t hate. i think its overpriced and ghetto but located conveniently i dont hate the mall. but the target and ross and etc are wack imo. they need more stores not closing macys out of all the ideas of these people. i agree they need to renovate the mall and add not close stores.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 PM

662 posts, read 776,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
I dont think PG will ever attract rich ppl but that macys is dead anyway. i went there last week. that mall represents the area its in so can’t hate. i think its overpriced and ghetto but located conveniently i dont hate the mall. but the target and ross and etc are wack imo. they need more stores not closing macys out of all the ideas of these people. i agree they need to renovate the mall and add not close stores.
The TJMaxx is probably one of the better stores in that mall. It is always clean and well stocked. Even though they're owned by the same company the Marshalls isn't that great.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,790,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
The TJMaxx is probably one of the better stores in that mall. It is always clean and well stocked. Even though they're owned by the same company the Marshalls isn't that great.
its nice but those places dont belong in a mall u know? they belong in strip malls

Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
its nice but those places dont belong in a mall u know? they belong in strip malls
Frequently you would see those places outside, but don't think they necessarily belong there. Same for Target. You have to look at it from the perspective of what stores would you drive directly too even if it weren't attached to anything.

TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshall's seem to draw more retail traffic than Macy's, JCPenney's, and Sears now. Actually, Macy's, JCPenney's, and Sears probably have an inverted relationship with the mall, where instead of drawing more shoppers to the mall, the mall is drawing more consumers to the department store. Additionally, H&M, Old Navy, and Zara may be considered better anchors too.

Target, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Old Navy, and H&M is a solid grouping of draws. Add a Round 1, a couple coveted restaurants, and they really should have a successful indoor mall in the current climate.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 AM

662 posts, read 776,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Frequently you would see those places outside, but don't think they necessarily belong there. Same for Target. You have to look at it from the perspective of what stores would you drive directly too even if it weren't attached to anything.

TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshall's seem to draw more retail traffic than Macy's, JCPenney's, and Sears now. Actually, Macy's, JCPenney's, and Sears probably have an inverted relationship with the mall, where instead of drawing more shoppers to the mall, the mall is drawing more consumers to the department store. Additionally, H&M, Old Navy, and Zara may be considered better anchors too.

Target, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Old Navy, and H&M is a solid grouping of draws. Add a Round 1, a couple coveted restaurants, and they really should have a successful indoor mall in the current climate.
Zaras like to be in 'high end' areas. If that mall could score one I would be very surprised. Ecstatic but surprised.

I do agree w/you that the definition of the mall is changing. I see PG Plaza as a functional mall. I need a target and I frequent TJMaxx for home items.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Zaras like to be in 'high end' areas. If that mall could score one I would be very surprised. Ecstatic but surprised.

I do agree w/you that the definition of the mall is changing. I see PG Plaza as a functional mall. I need a target and I frequent TJMaxx for home items.
Yeah Zara was kind of randomly included, I doubt PG Plaza will get a Zara, as they like to locate near destination shopping....that said, H&M started that way in the states too before growing rapidly over the last 5-10 years

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 AM

631 posts, read 1,388,975 times
Not really a "mall" issue but PG County's 2nd Harris Teeter in will open on October 6 in Bowie. Firehouse Subs will open it's 2nd and 3rd locations in the county in Bowie and Laurel as well.

Havent seen any construction with Nordtrom Rack at the Woodmore Town Center yet. Also Macy's decision to close at Marlow Heights, PG Plaza and Bowie Town Center is still in limbo.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:15 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,496,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Havent seen any construction with Nordtrom Rack at the Woodmore Town Center yet. Also Macy's decision to close at Marlow Heights, PG Plaza and Bowie Town Center is still in limbo.
PG Plaza is on the upswing. That one might be saved and hopefully they invest in it. Personally, I feel it could be about half the size it is now. They could lease the bottom floor and make the other two a lot better, brighter, newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland