Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
That tier exist throughout retail check out Home Depot in Oxon Hill then go to the one off Van Dorn in Alexandria. Big difference!!!
Yes, and that's a big problem in PG. Even if we get the higher-end stores we are seeking, the merchandise/stock won't be the same. The Macy's at Bowie Town Center has much gar-baaage compared to the Macy's at Annapolis Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Yes, and that's a big problem in PG. Even if we get the higher-end stores we are seeking, the merchandise/stock won't be the same. The Macy's at Bowie Town Center has much gar-baaage compared to the Macy's at Annapolis Mall.
Indeed. The funny thing is that most retailers will tell you that they buy based on the demographics and its buying trends. Partially true but not the entire story. There is also the the generalization of loss mitigation which has merit in high crime areas but in certain areas of PG like Bowie that's not as big of a problem. However those areas are often lumped with the high risk areas since they are predominately Black/minority. That translates into poor selections or tier two/three product lines.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Indeed. The funny thing is that most retailers will tell you that they buy based on the demographics and its buying trends. Partially true but not the entire story. There is also the the generalization of loss mitigation which has merit in high crime areas but in certain areas of PG like Bowie that's not as big of a problem. However those areas are often lumped with the high risk areas since they are predominately Black/minority. That translates into poor selections or tier two/three product lines.
Can I be objective for a moment? Is it really fair to compare Bowie to the bad areas of the county and say it has less crime, therefore it should have a better selection? I think a much more meaningful comparison is how does Bowie crime fare compared to places that do indeed have nicer selection in merchandise. That is something I would be interested in seeing and then at that point I think we can make a fair assessment. To say that Bowie should get more because it has less crime than other areas is like saying the Washington Wizards are the best professional basketball team in DC. Not saying that crime isn't reasonably low in Bowie, but at least how does it compare to places that aren't in PG. And how do retailers translate that information? Annapolis for instance, I know with certainty has bad part, even around their mall, but they have really nice stores and restaurants. Is that because their crime is lower there or because of the demographics of the surrounding area?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Can I be objective for a moment? Is it really fair to compare Bowie to the bad areas of the county and say it has less crime, therefore it should have a better selection? I think a much more meaningful comparison is how does Bowie crime fare compared to places that do indeed have nicer selection in merchandise. That is something I would be interested in seeing and then at that point I think we can make a fair assessment. To say that Bowie should get more because it has less crime than other areas is like saying the Washington Wizards are the best professional basketball team in DC. Not saying that crime isn't reasonably low in Bowie, but at least how does it compare to places that aren't in PG. And how do retailers translate that information? Annapolis for instance, I know with certainty has bad part, even around their mall, but they have really nice stores and restaurants. Is that because their crime is lower there or because of the demographics of the surrounding area?
I was using Bowie and crime as a point of reference. There are many indicators that determine why one area is more viable than another and there are several areas within PGC that could be suitable for quality retailers that offer better product depth. My main point is that, across the country there is a huge disparity between the retail offering in predominately black/minority areas than prodominately white areas.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I was using Bowie and crime as a point of reference. There are many indicators that determine why one area is more viable than another and there are several areas within PGC that could be suitable for quality retailers that offer better product depth. My main point is that, across the country there is a huge disparity between the retail offering in predominately black/minority areas than prodominately white areas.
Unfortunately when it comes to those areas, that are predominately black, those other issues become a factor. Really Prince George's County should be the antithesis for these things, given that it is marketed as the "wealthiest black county in the US." Think about it what predominantly black areas do you know that have low crime and/or high income? PG has places that has a little bit of both, but when you compare them to areas that are white, they either have more crime or lower income. I'm not saying it's right, but from a business standpoint, what is the incentive for businesses to inherit that risk? Is it good PR? Sure, but at what cost? Look at Wegmans for example. They took a huge risk by coming to PG, presumably they are successful, but they may have to pay for additional resources to counteract crime. For most businesses, is it worth it? That is, I think elephant in the room so to speak with this thread. What reasons do black people give businesses to want to move to their areas? There may be clientele, but what about the risks?

In this country, blacks haven't reached the point of being able to demand these things. There just isn't enough. We are a minority, but even within being a minority few of us have the money to demand such quality things in neighborhoods where we predominantly live.

Last edited by justtitans; 05-15-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Found this interesting article

Old Navy Closes in Bowie Town Center - Bowie, MD Patch

Admittedly, it's been a while since I've been to Bowie Town Center and didn't realize it was struggling that much with the Waugh Chapel Towne Center. I knew it would hurt them, but honestly, didn't know that many stores had left. The comments on this article are very interesting, because a few people talked about perception. I definitely think Bowie suffers from it's association from the county, which is unfortunate.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately when it comes to those areas, that are predominately black, those other issues become a factor. Really Prince George's County should be the antithesis for these things, given that it is marketed as the "wealthiest black county in the US." Think about it what predominantly black areas do you know that have low crime and/or high income? PG has places that has a little bit of both, but when you compare them to areas that are white, they either have more crime or lower income. I'm not saying it's right, but from a business standpoint, what is the incentive for businesses to inherit that risk? Is it good PR? Sure, but at what cost? Look at Wegmans for example. They took a huge risk by coming to PG, presumably they are successful, but they may have to pay for additional resources to counteract crime. For most businesses, is it worth it? That is, I think elephant in the room so to speak with this thread. What reasons do black people give businesses to want to move to their areas? There may be clientele, but what about the risks?

In this country, blacks haven't reached the point of being able to demand these things. There just isn't enough. We are a minority, but even within being a minority few of us have the money to demand such quality things in neighborhoods where we predominantly live.
I hear what you are saying and agree that there is a disconnect between income level and crime rate (especially in PG) but that doesn't justify the disparity in retail between black communities. No it doesn't. PG does need to continue to improve the crime statistics in the county but there are other areas (DC is a good example) where crime is high (relatively speaking) but because the demographic has changed higher end retail opens up in neighborhoods that weren't a consideration before. Although a block or a street may improved retailers are willing to take the risk in spite of crime rates in the general area still being high. I disagree that we haven't reached a point where we can demand such things. According to Neilson, African American consumers will be spending an average of 1.1 trillion dollars annually. Those numbers give us the power to make demands. The problem is that we don't exercise it because we don't believe that we can. If PG consumers boycotted (pipe dream I know) any business that either was not in PG or did not provide an equitable product depth; and only purchased within the county, there would be a significant change in the unwritten rule of not expanding in PGC. Why because we spend a lot, whether poor or rich we spend. That is the bargaining chip we have if we choose to use it.

Here is a link that summarize the report I referenced. You can also download the full report from there site

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswir...-consumer.html

Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
I hear what you are saying and agree that there is a disconnect between income level and crime rate (especially in PG) but that doesn't justify the disparity in retail between black communities. No it doesn't. PG does need to continue to improve the crime statistics in the county but there are other areas (DC is a good example) where crime is high (relatively speaking) but because the demographic has changed higher end retail opens up in neighborhoods that weren't a consideration before. Although a block or a street may improved retailers are willing to take the risk in spite of crime rates in the general area still being high. I disagree that we haven't reached a point where we can demand such things. According to Neilson, African American consumers will be spending an average of 1.1 trillion dollars annually. Those numbers give us the power to make demands. The problem is that we don't exercise it because we don't believe that we can. If PG consumers boycotted (pipe dream I know) any business that either was not in PG or did not provide an equitable product depth; and only purchased within the county, there would be a significant change in the unwritten rule of not expanding in PGC. Why because we spend a lot, whether poor or rich we spend. That is the bargaining chip we have if we choose to use it.

I think the perception that PGC is not good for retail is changing. PGC is much different than it was during the Landover Mall heyday. What PGC is dealing with now are ghosts of its past. Like I said before, if DC can exorcise its ghosts, so can PGC. It's ironic to hear people dog PGC when DC used to be the same if not worse than PGC. Why does DC get a pass? No one left to dog? My father mentioned last night that he now sees White people walking around in places on H. Street where he was afraid to walk even with a gun. I would argue that PGC is about 5 years behind DC in perception shifts.

We see this in the development of upscale entertainment districts that are far above BLVD at the CAP or a fancy dinner at Jasper's. We see retail only found in DC or NoVa finding a place within the county. We're not wondering why a Wegman's or a Whole Foods hasn't located in the county. These are drops in a very large bucket, but the faucet is slowly turning towards a steady stream of firsts for the county. It remains to be seen after PGC settles into the development momentum seen in DC if retail quality changes not only in name but in selection to where there is no difference what is sold here than in DC or NoVa. I will probably streak across UMD's campus if a Brooks Brothers retail store locates in the county. And not at National Harbor either.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Found this interesting article

Old Navy Closes in Bowie Town Center - Bowie, MD Patch

Admittedly, it's been a while since I've been to Bowie Town Center and didn't realize it was struggling that much with the Waugh Chapel Towne Center. I knew it would hurt them, but honestly, didn't know that many stores had left. The comments on this article are very interesting, because a few people talked about perception. I definitely think Bowie suffers from it's association from the county, which is unfortunate.
That's a shame but it is interesting that one of the main reasons they are struggling is the unresponsive ness to crime hence the continued elevation of the crime rate. That is a good example of how community leadership needs to be proactive on how they respond to issues that concern retailers. A good example of a project that does it right in the county is..........wait for it........The National Harbor... That is a great example of ensuring that the retail area is safe and secure. It is also marketed to draw a diverse economic base. That is what other projects need to do. They also need to create consistent day to night foot traffic.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think the perception that PGC is not good for retail is changing. PGC is much different than it was during the Landover Mall heyday. What PGC is dealing with now are ghosts of its past. Like I said before, if DC can exorcise its ghosts, so can PGC. It's ironic to hear people dog PGC when DC used to be the same if not worse than PGC. Why does DC get a pass? No one left to dog? My father mentioned last night that he now sees White people walking around in places on H. Street where he was afraid to walk even with a gun. I would argue that PGC is about 5 years behind DC in perception shifts.

We see this in the development of upscale entertainment districts that are far above BLVD at the CAP or a fancy dinner at Jasper's. We see retail only found in DC or NoVa finding a place within the county. We're not wondering why a Wegman's or a Whole Foods hasn't located in the county. These are drops in a very large bucket, but the faucet is slowly turning towards a steady stream of firsts for the county. It remains to be seen after PGC settles into the development momentum seen in DC if retail quality changes not only in name but in selection to where there is no difference what is sold here than in DC or NoVa. I will probably streak across UMD's campus if a Brooks Brothers retail store locates in the county. And not at National Harbor either.
I think that we are closer to 10 before we hit that momentum. The reason being is that we are revamping the infrastructure to support the potential as well as updating the strategic plans to support the planned development of retail and entertainment districts. As for Brook Brothers, get ready to at least streak in your boxers because its coming to Tanger ( which is a start)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland