Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'll have to check this Waugh Chapel out. But it seems quite a distance from BTC. Are people really traveling that far from Bowie to WC because BTC is that bad? Though the Wegmans is a regional draw.
I would say it's a 15-20-minute drive with light to moderate traffic. But many Bowie residents live north of BTC. If you live off 450, say near Racetrack Road or even right near Bowie HS, you can zip up 450, then turn onto 3 and travel a little distance to reach Waugh Chapel. Waugh Chapel is nice, although I think BTC is a lot more aesthetically appealing. Waugh Chapel looks a bit cramped, but everything is there.

Speaking of stores leaving, I find it interesting that although Old Navy "abandoned" BTC, another store has opened at Woodmore Town Center. I need to stop by there to see how it is stocked. And Petco left BTC and has opened in WTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I would say it's a 15-20-minute drive with light to moderate traffic. But many Bowie residents live north of BTC. If you live off 450, say near Racetrack Road or even right near Bowie HS, you can zip up 450, then turn onto 3 and travel a little distance to reach Waugh Chapel. Waugh Chapel is nice, although I think BTC is a lot more aesthetically appealing. Waugh Chapel looks a bit cramped, but everything is there.

Speaking of stores leaving, I find it interesting that although Old Navy "abandoned" BTC, another store has opened at Woodmore Town Center. I need to stop by there to see how it is stocked. And Petco left BTC and has opened in WTC.
Are the demographics different between WC and BTC?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Heather Ridge Apts has had the most crime due to its proximity (right across the street).
This is new to me, but at the same time I'm not really surprised due to its proximity to BTC. I only say that because I lived there the last 2 years and didn't hear about crimes happening on the complex except for a few instances when the apt management would inform us. There were a couple burglaries and rims being stolen from cars, but that's all I've heard of. I always felt safe there and even (mistakenly) left my car unlocked or wallet in car in plain view overnight only to find my car unfazed the next morning. Also, I would also walk over to the town center many times late at night to go walk my gf back from work and we never had any issues. Do you know if most of the crime being reported there is vehicle related? Does more crime happen there compared to Meridian and Governor's Green?

I'm also guessing that the new Harmony Place apartments that were built by the town center will attract the same level of crime as HR due to its proximity. Many possible tenants may be taking that into account (and the lease price), choosing not to live there, and eliminating another possible stream of income to the town center.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
This is new to me, but at the same time I'm not really surprised due to its proximity to BTC. I only say that because I lived there the last 2 years and didn't hear about crimes happening on the complex except for a few instances when the apt management would inform us. There were a couple burglaries and rims being stolen from cars, but that's all I've heard of. I always felt safe there and even (mistakenly) left my car unlocked or wallet in car in plain view overnight only to find my car unfazed the next morning. Also, I would also walk over to the town center many times late at night to go walk my gf back from work and we never had any issues. Do you know if most of the crime being reported there is vehicle related? Does more crime happen there compared to Meridian and Governor's Green?

I'm also guessing that the new Harmony Place apartments that were built by the town center will attract the same level of crime as HR due to its proximity. Many possible tenants may be taking that into account (and the lease price), choosing not to live there, and eliminating another possible stream of income to the town center.
Its moreso Property Crimes than Violent Crimes at Heather Ridge. Meridian has decent reviews while Governors Green isnt the best place to live. Reviews show it and the police calls show it. The townhomes and condos over in Covington have been selling for around 100k, it was 2-3 times that much pre recession. Not to mention a lot of Voucher families are moving into Bowie, especially in those areas which is drawing the change in demographics.

Harmony Place is too new and too expensive to to determined yet. But the same management is the same that built Concord Park at Russett in Laurel. They are beautiful, well maintained, and little to low crime.. I can only hope the same is true for Harmony Place.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,004 times
Quote:
Somewhat yes. There is a higher income around Waugh Chapel in Gambrills, Crofton, Odenton, also these areas are majority white. Sorry to throw the race card in there, but hey its true than over in Bowie. Not to mention lower crime in Waugh Chpael, Crofton, Odenton, Gambrills than in Bowie. Schools, services, etc.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, in that the Gambrills/Crofton area is majority white. So is the crowd at WC. The City of Bowie has a slight black majority. All of this is according to the 2010 Census information.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
agree with perception - I was wondering why several stores leaped from BTC to Waugh Chapel. Teens are also at Waugh Chapel - however so are nicer stores and restaurants. Regarding another perception or stereotype...Section 8 residents. As a realtor, I have placed model tenants into homes in Bowie and the homeowners were pleased to have. Some of these section 8 tenants were grandmothers raising a grandchild. People are from a multitude of economic backgrounds and I have seen many unruly, disrespectful, destructive kids in our million dollar neighborhoods and our lower hundred thousand dollar homes. Bowie still has a lot to offer and I do hope the city and county will do all to keep it up. Retailers and restaurants....trying to get them to this county has not been easy.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufloc View Post
agree with perception - I was wondering why several stores leaped from BTC to Waugh Chapel. Teens are also at Waugh Chapel - however so are nicer stores and restaurants. Regarding another perception or stereotype...Section 8 residents. As a realtor, I have placed model tenants into homes in Bowie and the homeowners were pleased to have. Some of these section 8 tenants were grandmothers raising a grandchild. People are from a multitude of economic backgrounds and I have seen many unruly, disrespectful, destructive kids in our million dollar neighborhoods and our lower hundred thousand dollar homes. Bowie still has a lot to offer and I do hope the city and county will do all to keep it up. Retailers and restaurants....trying to get them to this county has not been easy.
I definitely agree with you on many counts. Some of those unruly kids in the million dollar neighborhoods could very well be Section 8 kids, just like they could be wealthy kids, foster kids, etc.

Hung out at Waugh Chapel this past weekend. The layout is growing on me, but too much traffic is blocking the entrance without a smooth flow. Definitely nicer stores and restaurants than BTC and Woodmore Town Centre. We ate at Houlihan's, and it was good (and crowded). There were teens and families walking around. The entire place was very busy. BTC needs more of that.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with you on many counts. Some of those unruly kids in the million dollar neighborhoods could very well be Section 8 kids, just like they could be wealthy kids, foster kids, etc.

Hung out at Waugh Chapel this past weekend. The layout is growing on me, but too much traffic is blocking the entrance without a smooth flow. Definitely nicer stores and restaurants than BTC and Woodmore Town Centre. We ate at Houlihan's, and it was good (and crowded). There were teens and families walking around. The entire place was very busy. BTC needs more of that.
I have BTC on my feed on Facebook but I rarely see any events going on there. They should do that more especially since it's a "town center".

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:

I'll have to check out Waugh Chapel as well. I've never been. Never new the neighborhood existed as I've never needed to go into that area for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland