Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 10,061 times

Advertisements

In a year to 2 years, depending on jobs, we are looking to move to the Washington DC area. I am wanting to find an area that I can purchase a house which has at least a small yard and preferably parks nearby. I am white, my girlfriend is about 25% black and mostly white, our daughter looks either Latino or Asian to people. Also we are lesbians. We currently live in TN and though it has gotten better, there are still many people who are openly hostile towards either homosexuals, interracial couples, or both, so I am curious as to how people are in the Washington DC area. We have 4 dogs, one which is very large, so are there any areas that ban certain breeds or anything to that effect? We are not particular about if an area is mainly black, white, or purple, as long as the area is nice and people are friendly. I am not highly concerned with schools either since we plan to either homeschool or send our daughter to private school. Those who know the area, would Maryland be a good fit for our type of family, or do you think there are other areas around Washington DC that might be a better fit? I will probably be working in Washington DC so I need to be close enough to commute either by car or the metro max of 1 hr each way. Thank you for any information and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewood0923 View Post
Also we are lesbians. We currently live in TN and though it has gotten better, there are still many people who are openly hostile towards either homosexuals, interracial couples, or both, so I am curious as to how people are in the Washington DC area. We have 4 dogs, one which is very large, so are there any areas that ban certain breeds or anything to that effect?
The whole Washington DC area is way more accepting of lesbians and racially mixed families than where you are now.

I would recommend Takoma Park, MD as a great place for lesbian families and has a Metro stop. One issue is that Prince George County bans people from owning pit bulls. Takoma Park is partially in Prince George.

The other issue is the price of housing. It is way more expensive than you are probably used to in Tennessee. There are plenty of places with yards, and parks nearby. Just make sure it is affordable compared to what your jobs would earn.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 10,061 times
Wow, Takoma Park looks nice! I will have to see what is on the market when we decide to move. Luckily I don't have any pits, or pit mixes, though I have no problem with the dogs. I figured due to news, legalities, and concentration of LGBTQ people that the Washington DC area will be more accepting of our family than here, which is great. Thank you very much.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewood0923 View Post
Wow, Takoma Park looks nice! I will have to see what is on the market when we decide to move. Luckily I don't have any pits, or pit mixes, though I have no problem with the dogs. I figured due to news, legalities, and concentration of LGBTQ people that the Washington DC area will be more accepting of our family than here, which is great. Thank you very much.

Hyattsville and Adelphi are also nice areas for LGBT couples. In my neighborhood alone, there are three gay couples and one white couple where the man had a sex change and then they adopted a back male infant. There are no HOAs, and the plots are almost country like for most houses. Lots of yard for 4 dogs. There are a few homes about to hit the market. I an keep an eye out for you. We are close to the University and two metro stations.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,302 times
The entire area is pretty accepting; I don't think you'll need to limit yourself due to acceptance - only budget!

Do you have any pitbulls or bull mixes? Maryland courts last year basically ruled that owners are 100% at fault when a pit bull bites a human, even if the dog has never shown hostility towards people before. It'll probably mess up any homeowners/renters insurance you get.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 AM

74 posts, read 170,937 times
We live in Hyattsville and there is a very diverse population here, with a number of same-sex couples. A few houses away, there is a same-sex couple raising two young children. They have often said they feel very settled and happy here.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM

195 posts, read 473,367 times
I'm also in Hyattsville and would say the LGBT community here is fairly well integrated and accepted. (I also used to live in Takoma Park and could say the same about there ...)

Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
Also look in Prince George's County - towns of University Park, city of Hyattsville for starters - all are completely accepting of the LGBT community.

It's just not an issue and there's a fairly good chance that your kid won't be the only one in his/her class with LGBT parents.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
The entire area is pretty accepting; I don't think you'll need to limit yourself due to acceptance - only budget!

Do you have any pitbulls or bull mixes? Maryland courts last year basically ruled that owners are 100% at fault when a pit bull bites a human, even if the dog has never shown hostility towards people before. It'll probably mess up any homeowners/renters insurance you get.

Do owners of other breeds of dogs face the same prejudice? A dog is a dog.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 36,540 times
Mount Rainier, Hyattsville, Takoma Park...

Same-Sex Couples Make Themselves at Home in Welcoming Prince George's Suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland