Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 10,146 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a job in McLean in August, and a friend of mine will be starting a job in Columbia around the same time. We want to split an apartment/condo and are curious what area of Md to start searching for places that would be a good middle-ground for our commutes.

We are both recent college grads and would like to be in an area with a somewhat younger demographic and a decent nightlife. Our max budget, utilities included, will be somewhere between $2300-2600.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymuhb View Post
We are both recent college grads and would like to be in an area with a somewhat younger demographic and a decent nightlife. Our max budget, utilities included, will be somewhere between $2300-2600.
If you can find a place in Bethesda, that would be your best bet. Otherwise, look for newer buildings in North Bethesda and Rockville.

The commute to McLean will be heavy around the beltway, and you might look for alternative routes in case of accidents on the bridge. The commute to Columbia might be longer, but it will be easier.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymuhb View Post
I will be starting a job in McLean in August, and a friend of mine will be starting a job in Columbia around the same time. We want to split an apartment/condo and are curious what area of Md to start searching for places that would be a good middle-ground for our commutes.

Thanks for the input.
Try Silver Spring. I think it's a good location in between both places, it's in your budget, and it's a place where a lot of young professionals live.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM

490 posts, read 924,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Try Silver Spring. I think it's a good location in between both places, it's in your budget, and it's a place where a lot of young professionals live.

I agree either "Downtown Silver Spring" or "Bethesda" that would be your best bet......Especially for young proffesionals.....They have an excellent nightlife and minutes from D.C.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 AM

158 posts, read 216,473 times
Commute to Columbia from Mclean will be terrible, could take up 1 hour and 30 mins each way. I drove it for a project. If it rains, could be 2 hours!

As others have stated, Bethesda is somewhat in between and close to DC nightlife. Living in Mclean and working in Mclean is ideal for you. Close to your job, DC nightlife, and with the amentities of Tysons Corner.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM

44 posts, read 158,362 times
There are good rental options in downtown Bethesda within your price range. There is a very active night life and a great range of cultural options in (or within easy access of) Bethesda, which is filled with people of all ages, and you will be more or less splitting the difference between your two work locations if you live there. But as others have said, the commute to McLean will be awful at rush hour and the commute to Columbia will only be marginally better.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,821,876 times
Honestly, if I were you, I would just live with a different friend (if you can). With your jobs, one of you is going to have a bad commute no matter what arrangement you come up with, and you might as well both have a nice commute while you can, before spouse/house/kids makes things more complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland