Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 11:38 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Nice! Vegas of the east coast is a tad much though. I personally don't see it. It would be nice if we got some movie production companies over here.
I thought it was a stretch as well but I assumed that she had a marketing background so she felt compelled to embellish.

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 08-01-2017 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:21 PM

Interview with Rushern Baker on the Redskins Stadium. He is pushing Largo as an ideal site (makes sense) based on the development coming that way but also mentions the Harbor and where a metro stop is envisioned (sounds like Oxon Hill Farm area or an extension of Huntington)

Rushern Baker Focused on Improving Current Redskins Stadium Site « CBS DC

Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Interview with Rushern Baker on the Redskins Stadium. He is pushing Largo as an ideal site (makes sense) based on the development coming that way but also mentions the Harbor and where a metro stop is envisioned (sounds like Oxon Hill Farm area or an extension of Huntington)

Rushern Baker Focused on Improving Current Redskins Stadium Site « CBS DC
Do you really think that approvals will be given for a stadium in a National Historic District next to a complex on the National Register of Historic Places?

Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you really think that approvals will be given for a stadium in a National Historic District next to a complex on the National Register of Historic Places?
Not a chance. The Skins want out of Maryland.When they leave it's VA or downtown DC.The real question is what will become of FED EX field ,no one will buy the stadium,not the Ravens ,not DC United,not Maryland or Annapolis.To dump that property they will have to take a bath and the area will take a hit all so.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't care where the stadium goes. I am more interested in this part of the area gaining better access to metro rail. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold off a portion of the 500 acre lot for commercial purposes.There are a lot of Historic Places that have smaller footprints than they originally had when they were designated. For example, George Washington's Estate in Mount Vernon. Would it take an act of congress? yes. could it be done. yes. For years people said that National Harbor would not be built and it was same thing with Fort Washington remaining rural residential. That eventually changed also. So basically we will have to wait and see.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not a chance. The Skins want out of Maryland.When they leave it's VA or downtown DC.The real question is what will become of FED EX field ,no one will buy the stadium,not the Ravens ,not DC United,not Maryland or Annapolis.To dump that property they will have to take a bath and the area will take a hit all so.
See, this is the part I don't understand. I thought that Jack Kent Cooke built and owned the stadium and it was part of the team valuations.

Did that change at some point? Or does it revert to the County after X number of years?

Old 08-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
National Harbor IMO has risen to the #1 option the Redskins should move to in all the metro area. People keep saying "Downtown DC" confusing the matter. There is no possibility for "Downtown" the RFK site in Northeast is the only possibility, and I don't see DC putting up the fight necessary to draw the team back with MD and VA fighting tooth and nail. You can book this, DC is out.

This breaks it down to MD vs VA. Simply put, if you watched the video, Rushern is right. The Redskins will be looking for a "downtown" experience. Name one place off the Silver line where there is enough room for one, and also currently has a "downtown entertainment experience." There isn't any, the best place to go off the Silver Line is Tysons Corner Mall, and soon to be Dulles Airport, that's it, and no space at either. Does anyone really see Loudon as a possibility after leaving PG only 10 mins from DC? Loudon will have the Silver line for all of two stops yes, but the experience there is certainly not going to draw fans out there on non game days to come enjoy the "entertainment".

PG gives you the best option and most central location probably at NH. Existing entertainment district, with shopping, other retail, and housing already immediately around it. This talk about Largo makes no sense to me other than the Metro stop. Having a hospital there is not an "amenity" there will be a couple more apartments up, but certainly no true urban or simply "destination" experience that Largo can provide. Baker talked about the restaurants at Largo, trying to market Longhorn Steakhouse and TGI Fridays to the Redskins for where to move to? Lmao. I think he'd be better riding with the NH location and if the Skins roll then just leave it at that. National harbor has 4 star hotels, millions of visitors, and is NOW currently a tourist attraction. The BLVD is currently losing tenants and restaurants by the month. The main issue is getting the Metro over to National Harbor, because the location is perfect. The stadium would be situated immediately on the line of MD, DC, and VA with access to water taxis, 495/95, 295, 210 for people in Southern MD, and Rt 1 for those in VA.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:18 AM

“Summer Snow Globe” Venue Opens in DC-area National Harbor | International Meetings Review

Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
National Harbor IMO has risen to the #1 option the Redskins should move to in all the metro area. People keep saying "Downtown DC" confusing the matter. There is no possibility for "Downtown" the RFK site in Northeast is the only possibility, and I don't see DC putting up the fight necessary to draw the team back with MD and VA fighting tooth and nail. You can book this, DC is out.

This breaks it down to MD vs VA. Simply put, if you watched the video, Rushern is right. The Redskins will be looking for a "downtown" experience. Name one place off the Silver line where there is enough room for one, and also currently has a "downtown entertainment experience." There isn't any, the best place to go off the Silver Line is Tysons Corner Mall, and soon to be Dulles Airport, that's it, and no space at either. Does anyone really see Loudon as a possibility after leaving PG only 10 mins from DC? Loudon will have the Silver line for all of two stops yes, but the experience there is certainly not going to draw fans out there on non game days to come enjoy the "entertainment".

PG gives you the best option and most central location probably at NH. Existing entertainment district, with shopping, other retail, and housing already immediately around it. This talk about Largo makes no sense to me other than the Metro stop. Having a hospital there is not an "amenity" there will be a couple more apartments up, but certainly no true urban or simply "destination" experience that Largo can provide. Baker talked about the restaurants at Largo, trying to market Longhorn Steakhouse and TGI Fridays to the Redskins for where to move to? Lmao. I think he'd be better riding with the NH location and if the Skins roll then just leave it at that. National harbor has 4 star hotels, millions of visitors, and is NOW currently a tourist attraction. The BLVD is currently losing tenants and restaurants by the month. The main issue is getting the Metro over to National Harbor, because the location is perfect. The stadium would be situated immediately on the line of MD, DC, and VA with access to water taxis, 495/95, 295, 210 for people in Southern MD, and Rt 1 for those in VA.

I see two options.

1. Leave it where it is. Take that God awful flat surface parking lot and put 4-5 garages on the parameter of the parking lot and build in retail and restaurants on the inner-circle facing the stadium. Also, there could be a big 10 story parking deck built on the lot bounded by Hill Oaks Rd. and the lot by Morgan BLVD can be converted to mixed-use. The stadium was obviously built before the era of mixed-use really took off. ALl that surface parking is just a waste of real-estate.

2. Somewhere near NH. I agree that Loudoun County is just too far and there is really no entertainment district to speak of out there. Now, could there be one in 10 years? Yes. NH is only about 11 years old. As far as historic landmarks, etc. I guess it would depend on the importance of it. I've lived here all my life and never really visited the suggested site for the new stadium. OR if I did, never knew its historic importance. I'd imagine many other people are the same. It certainly isn't like a Mount Vernon or Frederick Douglas house. We see what happened with the old burial ground that will be surround by a tall mixed-use building in a few years. If the site is important enough, I'm sure they won't build on the site. But that's up to those who care.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
See, this is the part I don't understand. I thought that Jack Kent Cooke built and owned the stadium and it was part of the team valuations.

Did that change at some point? Or does it revert to the County after X number of years?
He did,it is.The problem is they went cheap when building it and Dan Snyder would be gone already had it not been for the deal with the state and PG county who paid for the road improvements and Beltway exit and other infrastructure improvements.If the Skins leave anytime before the 15-20(I think) year lease they must pay it all back.Snyder has money I realize that but to let that place just go for real estate value would be insane!Most NFL teams are paying a chunk(plus loans)for their own stadiums becuase it's getting harder to justify tax revenue on a project like that.The Cowboys did and the Giants and Jets did as well.The Skins Office's ,their training facility are all in VA to me they can make the best offer to Snyder.DC is where he wants to be but the property is the thing ,unless they tear down RFK and sell it to him or work some sort of deal.the Farm is going anywhere and add in the fact that the Skins just don't want to stay in Maryland,the chance is Zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland