Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 13,059 times

Advertisements

Thanks, UrbanScholar. Is the area bordered by Indian Head Hwy, Livingston Rd, and Fort Washington Rd a good area? If there is a better area to buy a single home in Fort Washington, where would it be? Immediately bordered by national harbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,556,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny04 View Post
Thanks, UrbanScholar. Is the area bordered by Indian Head Hwy, Livingston Rd, and Fort Washington Rd a good area? If there is a better area to buy a single home in Fort Washington, where would it be? Immediately bordered by national harbor?
Generally speaking yes. Subdivisions on the Fort Washington Rd side is typically seen as better buys but it really depends on your price points and what characteristics you are looking for. Are you looking for a new build or existing, how many levels, square footage, when are you looking to buy? Are you concerned about schools?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 AM

I actually found a house that I like and fit my budget. The question now is whether I should go through with it. I'm buying in the hope that the area will get better but at this point no other major plan is in the work, so I'm a bit worried. Yes, I care about schools. Is there anything I can do? It seems schools got worse since last year.

By the way, is there a foot path connecting national harbor to Fort Foote Park along the river? That could be a nice sunset stroll.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,939,684 times
Quote:
I actually found a house that I like and fit my budget. The question now is whether I should go through with it. I'm buying in the hope that the area will get better but at this point no other major plan is in the work, so I'm a bit worried. Yes, I care about schools. Is there anything I can do? It seems schools got worse since last year.
That's a risky proposition. I'm not saying it won't happen but the schools are likely going to have a bigger impact on the housing value than any development. People are definitely going to desire to be around the kind of development that's coming around, but giving that you want to live in Fort Washington as opposed to living at or right next to National Harbor, development is going to be less of a factor.

Quote:
By the way, is there a foot path connecting national harbor to Fort Foote Park along the river? That could be a nice sunset stroll.
I don't believe there is. That has been a big controversy about the two areas being fenced off. Perhaps it will change in the future.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't believe there is. That has been a big controversy about the two areas being fenced off. Perhaps it will change in the future.
Why is it a controversy? The residents opposed to it, didn't they? I notice that the residents want things to improve but oppose to changes.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I think the area is in transition for the better but that transition is in the beginning stages. At the moment PG County is the most affordable area within the metro so that is prompting a lot of people to consider areas like Ft. Washington, West Hyattesville, Bowie, etc. Compared to the rest of the area the schools are not great and I don't expect it to get any better anytime soon. Does that mean that your child cannot get a quality education? Of course not but it does mean that you will need to place more effort into their education. If that is not feasible then there is always private school which many find practical given the savings on their home. At the end of the day buying depends on what your expected outcome. If you are only looking to be there 5 years then maybe not but long-term I think the area has the elements to transform into a competitive suburban alternative.

Quote:
There is no foot path connecting to the National Harbor and from the master plans that won't change near term.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Why is it a controversy? The residents opposed to it, didn't they? I notice that the residents want things to improve but oppose to changes.
Not necessarily a controversy. At the time that this iteration of the National Harbor was being pitched to the nearby neighborhoods, those residents that participated or were most vocal in the discussion did not want direct access because they feared that would invite random people to walk into their neighborhood or use their neighborhood for overflow parking. After it opened and new residents moved in that opinion changed but, to date, NH has not created that type of access. It may change in the future but that is where we are at the moment.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM

130 posts, read 141,110 times
@urbanscholar Trolley in National Harbor is interesting! Where do you the locations for the Trolley points would lay?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvwhatup View Post
@urbanscholar Trolley in National Harbor is interesting! Where do you the locations for the Trolley points would lay?
That's good question. In their proposal they did not provide a lot of detail. I assume it will follow the same path as the bus route through NH loop around to Tanger (either at the start or at the end of the route) then terminate at MGM.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 PM

Pretty Girl Cupcakery (PrettyGirlCupcakery) of Hyattsville is opening a second location at Tanger Outlets soon. It will be located near Theory. Apparently this will be a larger location where they will offer baking classes as well selling cupcakes. Not a big cupcake person but will definitely support since it is a small local business.

I also heard that they will be building a series of restaurants diagonally across from Tanger in the area known as Harborview (where the plateau sign is/was). No timeline on when that will break ground but I assume that it will be in time to correspond with the opening of MGM to take advantage of the uptick in visitors.

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 07-26-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland