U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,019,254 times

Advertisements

You pretty much described Takoma Park/downtown Silver Spring to a T, so I'm not surprised that area was recommended to you. What do you mean Takoma Park didn't have the "kind of space" you want? As in you're looking for a house w/a larger lot size or something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 17,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
You pretty much described Takoma Park/downtown Silver Spring to a T, so I'm not surprised that area was recommended to you. What do you mean Takoma Park didn't have the "kind of space" you want? As in you're looking for a house w/a larger lot size or something like that?
Right. On Zillow, we only found one place in Takoma Park that had the indoor square footage and backyard we were looking for. Most places were much smaller. And even that one place had a separate apartment in the basement. I've been looking forward to living in a single family home for the first time. In our current area, it's more expensive, but we may be able to swing it down there. However, even that shared house in TP was more expensive than some of the nice SFHs we found in Silver Spring and elsewhere.

We haven't done an extensive search yet since we're not quite ready to move. (The places that are available now will likely not still be available in a couple of months.) Right now, the search we're doing is serving to familiarize us with the area and point us to spots to focus on when the time comes.

Bufflove, do you (or others) know if the northern part of Silver Spring has the feel of being a true part of Silver Spring and the downtown area you mentioned, or does it seem more separate/different? And would that make it harder to take part in activities in -- and feel like a part of -- the downtown SS and TP communities?

Do you think the Old Greenbelt area has, in some way, a similar vibe? Do other spots spring to mind?

We've looked at Zillow and Trulia and are starting to talk to some real estate agents. We haven't looked at craigslist yet. Is there another place that folks "in the know" look for house rentals there?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 AM

10,789 posts, read 15,764,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafis View Post
Right. On Zillow, we only found one place in Takoma Park that had the indoor square footage and backyard we were looking for. Most places were much smaller..... Is there another place that folks "in the know" look for house rentals there?
If you don't care about historic houses, look further out at newer houses in Laurel, Burtonsville, Olney, Rockville, North Potomac, or Gaithersburg. You haven't mentioned a budget, but a large house will rent from $2400-3400/month.

Long and Foster handles a lot of rental. They and others list rental on Realtor.com .

Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 PM

If by northern Silver Spring you mean the top part of zip 20910 or expanding into zip 20901, then yes, you'll certainly still feel like you're part of the downtown Silver Spring and Takoma Park community. You'll be within walking/biking distance or a very quick drive or bus ride to the downtown. There's ample parking available in garages, bike racks, etc. so there aren't really any barriers to enjoying the various markets, festivals, theaters, shops, restaurants, and bars around town. Beyond Zillow and Craigslist I don't know of other sites that specifically cover renting houses (and not just apartments), but I've never rented a house so hopefully others know of something. I've also never spent time in Greenbelt, unfortunately.

Hopefully, there will be a bit more rental availability for you to choose from in the area as Spring and Summer start to roll around. Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you don't care about historic houses, look further out at newer houses in Laurel, Burtonsville, Olney, Rockville, North Potomac, or Gaithersburg. You haven't mentioned a budget, but a large house will rent from $2400-3400/month.

Long and Foster handles a lot of rental. They and others list rental on Realtor.com .
Thanks, goldenage. Historic houses don't matter to us. Speaking of further out, someone else just suggested Ellicott City as being an artsy progressive area with nice homes. The commute is too far, I think. My husband seems to think it would be fine. And Columbia has been mentioned. I'm getting more confused again.

There was one home in Silver Spring that looks terrific, in the Daleview area, but the crime grids I"m looking at tell me it's right on the edge of a higher crime area. Do any of you know that area well? What's your take on its safety/proximity to crime areas?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
If by northern Silver Spring you mean the top part of zip 20910 or expanding into zip 20901, then yes, you'll certainly still feel like you're part of the downtown Silver Spring and Takoma Park community. You'll be within walking/biking distance or a very quick drive or bus ride to the downtown. There's ample parking available in garages, bike racks, etc. so there aren't really any barriers to enjoying the various markets, festivals, theaters, shops, restaurants, and bars around town. Beyond Zillow and Craigslist I don't know of other sites that specifically cover renting houses (and not just apartments), but I've never rented a house so hopefully others know of something. I've also never spent time in Greenbelt, unfortunately.

Hopefully, there will be a bit more rental availability for you to choose from in the area as Spring and Summer start to roll around. Best of luck!
Ah, discussing the areas by zip code is helpful. I'm not used to that.

I'm very glad to hear that those areas are still close enough to feel like part of downtown. Thanks.

Is being close to Langley Park, but not in it, an issue for safety?

Thanks again.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 PM

Personally, I'd be willing to live as far east as the Flower Avenue area (aka Long Branch neighborhood). Once you go even further east and hit University Blvd. - the outskirt of Langley Park - then it's just not a very nice area. Not that you're going to be shot if you live out that far, but you will run into more quality of life issues, e.g. thefts from vehicles, and the neighborhood amenities are going to be quite poor. Looking north of Long Branch @ the Four Corners area of Silver Spring would also be a good bet (and would be my #1 choice outside of the downtown-adjacent neighborhoods), though I imagine you're already keeping an eye on the listings in that area.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Personally, I'd be willing to live as far east as the Flower Avenue area (aka Long Branch neighborhood). Once you go even further east and hit University Blvd. - the outskirt of Langley Park - then it's just not a very nice area. Not that you're going to be shot if you live out that far, but you will run into more quality of life issues, e.g. thefts from vehicles, and the neighborhood amenities are going to be quite poor. Looking north of Long Branch @ the Four Corners area of Silver Spring would also be a good bet (and would be my #1 choice outside of the downtown-adjacent neighborhoods), though I imagine you're already keeping an eye on the listings in that area.
Very helpful info. We'll look into Four Corners.

One area we were looking at is just a little east of University Blvd., near Daleview Dr., in the neighborhood of an elementary school, not that we need one, and a nursing home, which we also won't need -- fingers crossed. But even though that's further north of Langley Park, your sense is that it's still a bit too far east to be able to feel really at ease?

Thank you for your insights.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 AM

10,789 posts, read 15,764,593 times
Quote:
Very helpful info. We'll look into Four Corners.

One area we were looking at is just a little east of University Blvd., near Daleview Dr., in the neighborhood of an elementary school, not that we need one, and a nursing home, which we also won't need -- fingers crossed. But even though that's further north of Langley Park, your sense is that it's still a bit too far east to be able to feel really at ease?
Agree with Bufflove. The demographics change enough, that I think you should visit any house in the evening to see if you are comfortable with walking around in the neighborhood.

Spend as much money as you need to be in a safe area. I would prefer west of Colesville and north of University any day.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your insights.
That's probably north enough that it mimics Four Corners more so than Langley Park and you'll be fine, but honestly I don't know that specific subneighborhood enough to say for sure. Crimereports showing zero activity in the area and property sales being decently high are certainly good indicators that it's a well maintained and safe area. But if at all possible, I'd try and follow goldenage1's advice to walk a neighborhood like that at night before committing (good practice for any neighborhood you're looking at, but especially in this case). If that's not possible and you're in love with a specific house, then just make sure you fully understand any lease you sign and what the cost of breaking it early would be (another good practice in general, especially when moving to a new area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland