Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 AM

9 posts, read 34,129 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Montgomery County and lived there all my life, but it seems difficult to buy a home in this county. I am in my late 20’s and looking to settle down and start a family. I really would like to live in the area I grew up Cloverly/Colesville, MD. All the homes seem to be overpriced. Single family homes average around 400k and up. I looked up the average combined home income and it is around 120k per year. My combined home income is slightly above the average income for this area. When I budget other cost like PMI, utilities, student loans, car loan, insurance, groceries, Credit Cards, and spending money, I still can’t seem to afford to live in this area. I always dreamed of living in a single family home, but it seems like I am priced out of that market. I am forced to settle for a condo or small townhome in MoCo. I considered starting small like a condo, then upgrading to a single family home in the future, but how is that possible as the market continues to grow? I am worried if I decide to start small then upgrade to single, the prices of these homes in the area I am interested in will increase even more still leaving me in the dust.

I have started to consider PG as single family home prices are much more affordable and appear to be in good shape. How are people affording to live in this county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM

5,102 posts, read 4,863,161 times
After living here in the DC Metro area for over 28 years, I still find it had to believe that there are as many good paying jobs out there for people to afford living in areas like Mont. Co, Annapolis, DC, etc. There seems to be an endless supply of wealth, I just don't know where all these great paying jobs are!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM

131 posts, read 343,078 times
In general, out in the suburbs many people have dual incomes (e.g. two people working).

With a combined income of 120k, a 400k house is easily affordable. It just depends on where you want to spend your budget.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM

It seems like there is a lot of new development in MoCo, but all these new homes generally are townhomes with very small to no lots at all. Plus they are very overpriced. Example is Crown development in Gaithersburg, or the new Ryan homes in Burtonsville. These new homes are overpriced and don’t offer the privacy and space of existing single family homes.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,332,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalisa View Post
I grew up in Montgomery County and lived there all my life, but it seems difficult to buy a home in this county. I am in my late 20’s and looking to settle down and start a family. I really would like to live in the area I grew up Cloverly/Colesville, MD. All the homes seem to be overpriced. Single family homes average around 400k and up. I looked up the average combined home income and it is around 120k per year. My combined home income is slightly above the average income for this area. When I budget other cost like PMI, utilities, student loans, car loan, insurance, groceries, Credit Cards, and spending money, I still can’t seem to afford to live in this area. I always dreamed of living in a single family home, but it seems like I am priced out of that market. I am forced to settle for a condo or small townhome in MoCo. I considered starting small like a condo, then upgrading to a single family home in the future, but how is that possible as the market continues to grow? I am worried if I decide to start small then upgrade to single, the prices of these homes in the area I am interested in will increase even more still leaving me in the dust.

I have started to consider PG as single family home prices are much more affordable and appear to be in good shape. How are people affording to live in this county?
The Baby Boomers and their selfish politics have made it increasingly unaffordable for young people to enjoy even a fraction of the life they enjoyed. They truly are America's worst generation.

Montgomery is unaffordable because of policies that limit supply in the face of increasing demand.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,332,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad View Post
In general, out in the suburbs many people have dual incomes (e.g. two people working).

With a combined income of 120k, a 400k house is easily affordable. It just depends on where you want to spend your budget.
Not if you have student loans and other debt than you won't even qualify for the mortgage with that salary.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not if you have student loans and other debt than you won't even qualify for the mortgage with that salary.

You are right, that’s part of the new reality. Young people have so much debt after college, it's hard to find jobs, the ones that we do find don't pay well, and the cost of living is high. Many of my friends are moving to DC or PG because we just can't afford to live in Moco.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 AM

924 posts, read 2,594,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The Baby Boomers and their selfish politics have made it increasingly unaffordable for young people to enjoy even a fraction of the life they enjoyed. They truly are America's worst generation.
I don't think it could have been said any better.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM

544 posts, read 1,043,521 times
I have a fairly high dual income household with no kids and 2 cats. I bought an older townhouse in Montgomery Village for $220k in 2004. I don't need single family home or a BMW. I drive a 2005 Corolla and my husband drives a 2010 Versa. I have a school loan that I consolidated at an embarrassingly low interest rate.

We do, however, take pretty opulent vacations and save a boatload of money. It's all about priorities. Mine were not kids, cars or fancy neighborhoods.

That said, I can't wait to move to Raleigh next month where our same salary does us a single family home in a nice neighborhood for the same amount I'm paying now. Maybe in a year if we feel like saving money, we'll move to a townhouse, but after 15 years of living around a ton of people, I'm ready for a year of privacy.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM

165 posts, read 562,132 times
Default Small, fixer upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalisa View Post

Well if you're spending resources on student loans, car loan and credit cards that money is unavailable for a larger mortgage payment. So yeah you'll probably have to start with a condo/townhome. The other option is to find an old fixer upper in a solid neighborhood. It'll take time to fix it up, but in the long run you'll be getting the best bang for your buck.

I get Rozansky's real estate sales report once a quarter. It covers Bethesda/Chevy Chase/Potomac. A little house (10015 Sinnott Ct.) in Bethesda sold for $440K. It'll probably be a tear down like others in that neighborhood but in the long run it'll work out to be a great deal for the owners because of the location/area.

C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland