Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 41,929 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the extra info Goldenage1! We'll look into those locations in Prince George County some more. Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 PM

202 posts, read 347,207 times
Honestly traffic isgoingto be a bear no matter where you live. I don't want to rain on your parade, but DC and Charlotte are very very different cities. You would do better coming across county than coming north and south. The reason is that coming south from olney you will be contending with traffic going to DC, Bethesda Chevy chase ect.. Take a look in the 20903 zip codes. Check out areas around Dennis avenue or maybe even woodmont in silver spring. I honestly don't know what the real estate prices are there but the houses are smaller and Dennis avenue cuts across sligo creek which is a pretty nice park with a good walking trail. Here is my recommendation befo you all pull up roots here in Charlotte, I would strongly suggest your husband move up there for a while just to get his bearing straight and really decide if thats where he wants to live and raise the family. It's a hell of a lot to put on a family up root them from family and friends just to realize in a year it's not for you.

Personally, DC is a great area if you are young, single or married with no kids UNLESS you make really great money. And I mean great money. I would highly recommend living in and around DC to anyone who was in their 20s or early 30s and did not have kids. Just being older and having multiple kids DC just didn't work for me anymore and my family and I are much happy living in Charlotte. Again to each their own, but just make sure your prepared because its not easy.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks for your advice Oldway. I really appreciate it! We're definitely not considering moving to DC because we think it will be fun or easy. My husband is incredibly satisfied in his chosen career. The next step (that he would be thrilled to take) might mean a move to a big city. We're trying to investigate and plan ahead of time knowing that it will be a huge change. But folks can make choices anywhere to make things better or more enjoyable for themselves. We're hoping to do that in the Silver Spring area if this job seems like the best fit.

Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,010 times
I would encourage you to look in the towns/cities of: University Park, Hyattsville, and College Park. Both have everything you are looking for and active homeschooling groups, both religious and secular. You will get far more house for your money in these areas than in anyplace with a Silver Spring address.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 AM

Thank you Scrapper105! That is valuable info. I will definitely look into those locations.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM

95 posts, read 163,098 times
Moving from Charlotte to Silver Spring will indeed be a culture shock, especially if you live in the rural area of Charlotte that you have semi-described. I lived in Charlotte for roughly 7 years, in both the Uptown area and the University area, and coming back to DC was kind of a shock for me, a place I lived for roughly 19 years of my life beforehand.

Your current living situation would be similar to the area of Olney or Columbia, or even the back part of Silver Spring which is pass the downtown area. There are a number of homes in that area that could possibly remind you of your current home near South Park mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland