U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Status: "There are Crazy People on here!!!" (set 25 days ago)

7,248 posts, read 4,699,451 times
Default The New Prince George's Hospital Moving to Largo

Largo wins new $645M hospital over Landover -- Gazette.Net

Quote:
A new $654 million regional hospital will be built near the Largo Town Center Metro station, the Dimensions Healthcare System Board of Directors announced Aug. 22 during a news conference at the Prince George’s County Hospital Center in Cheverly.

The board for Dimensions, a nonprofit organization operating four hospitals in Prince George’s County, voted unanimously in favor of building the 280-bed hospital at the Largo site over another site at the former Landover Mall property, citing walkable Metro access and existing solid infrastructure.
Seems like a good move to me. The current hospital can be kind of challenging to get to with public transportation. Putting it with the metro is smart in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Status: "Just me and my fellow travel buddy :)" (set 14 days ago)

3,967 posts, read 1,890,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Largo wins new $645M hospital over Landover -- Gazette.Net

Seems like a good move to me. The current hospital can be kind of challenging to get to with public transportation. Putting it with the metro is smart in my opinion.
This is good news. And yet at the same time, it looks like it's back to Square 1 on what to do with the former Landover Mall site...

Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This is good news. And yet at the same time, it looks like it's back to Square 1 on what to do with the former Landover Mall site...
I have heard so many ideas, it's really ridiculous for that site to be left like that. It's a complete eye sore right near one of the most visited parts of the county, FedEx Field. It makes no sense that they haven't figured out something. It's a complete waste. Can you imagine if they have added maybe a shopping center with restaurants/bars, with all the people that go there, how much money the county could make?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 AM

2,748 posts, read 1,859,976 times
Quote:
I have heard so many ideas, it's really ridiculous for that site to be left like that. It's a complete eye sore right near one of the most visited parts of the county, FedEx Field. It makes no sense that they haven't figured out something. It's a complete waste. Can you imagine if they have added maybe a shopping center with restaurants/bars, with all the people that go there, how much money the county could make?

That's just it. What happens when there is no football season and there are no game patrons, just the locals who probably couldn't afford the types of restaurants and bars that people would enjoy before and after games? Right now, I guess the developers feel they can't sustain any level f patronage outside of game days. Revitalization has not yet visited the Landover Rd. corridor inside the Beltway.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,818,037 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That's just it. What happens when there is no football season and there are no game patrons, just the locals who probably couldn't afford the types of restaurants and bars that people would enjoy before and after games? Right now, I guess the developers feel they can't sustain any level f patronage outside of game days. Revitalization has not yet visited the Landover Rd. corridor inside the Beltway.
Well at least they paved 202

Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
How can you say that and they justified building a Wegmans across 95? If they don't have the money for that kind of development, who is shopping at Wegmans?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:52 PM

431 posts, read 329,225 times
Our Probation office is in Largo, this is actually a good thing for the county. It will have more services for the residents. Score for PG!!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM

2,748 posts, read 1,859,976 times
Quote:
How can you say that and they justified building a Wegmans across 95? If they don't have the money for that kind of development, who is shopping at Wegmans?
Like a lot of posters already said, Wegmans is not very expensive at all. I know some would like to think it's expensive, but I wouldn't toot my horn over having a Wegman's. It's a good quality store with tons of options, but the price point is not that of Whole Foods, Balduccis, Dean & Deluca, etc. And littled do people know, MOMs and Yes! Organic are insanely expensive due to their niche. While Wegmans does have some pricey signature items, you can make it out of Wegmans paying as much as you would in Safeway or Giant.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM

291 posts, read 261,319 times
Quote:
Wegman's hype is over the products it offers ... at the scale it offers them at ... and how exclusive the chain is in terms of there isn't a Wegman's on every other street corner like a Giant or Safeway. Wegman's is not a top-tier stores based on how pricey they are. Wegman's isn't expensive at all. I found them cheaper than Shoppers and even Giant on a lot of things. But the products are quality and Wegman's has a lot of in-house products you won't find at any other chain.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Like a lot of posters already said, Wegmans is not very expensive at all. I know some would like to think it's expensive, but I wouldn't toot my horn over having a Wegman's. It's a good quality store with tons of options, but the price point is not that of Whole Foods, Balduccis, Dean & Deluca, etc. And littled do people know, MOMs and Yes! Organic are insanely expensive due to their niche. While Wegmans does have some pricey signature items, you can make it out of Wegmans paying as much as you would in Safeway or Giant.
Wegmans isn't exactly in Capitol Heights. They are still very selective about the areas that they locate to. Their price point isn't high, but they are still considered high-end and the surrounding areas, were a big consideration for them selecting that site. Even with that said, why are we assuming that that area needs something high-end to cater to the people who go to the stadium? Even an Applebee's would be an improvement. I mean it's a dirt pile. You mean to tell me that they could add something after almost 10 years? The county could gain a lot of revenue by taking advantage of all those people coming to those games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland